• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

0ni

Registered Rustler
So I realised today that I easily have the flexibility now to go ass to grass on front squats. I just need to know the implications of this and have the following questions:

With a similar stance, should I be able to go ass to grass on both high bar and low bar squats?
From next week I am increasing my squatting so that I am maxing out 4x a week, should I go ass to grass on these maxes?
Should I go ass to grass on my regular high volume squat sets or is a few inches below parallel fine?

Thanks

My understanding of it Oni is that ass to grass is better as long as you don't have butt wink, if you can go ass to grass in good form than its best to do so for all your squats as its better on the knees.
This is based on my Harvard degree in bro science with references.....pfffft who needs references LOL.
Maybe one of our more knowledgeable trainers could chime in on this one.

Cool, I was under the impression that hip tuck was fine as long as your spine isn't like a scared cats

Cool, I was under the impression that hip tuck was fine as long as your spine isn't like a scared cats

Hmm, that's interesting Oni.

See I changed my squat stance at the start of this year so I wouldn't get the butt wink going. I made my stance a little wider and squat down bellow parallel, but have been stopping at just the point of the butt wink (which is at the very bottom for me). I would like to hear from someone who knows for sure as I can and have been up until this year, squatting with my hams touching my calves.
I was under the impression that it wasn't good, can't recall why I thought that, but it has been a learning experiance to squat the way I am now. I know I use my hamies allot more the way I squat now compared to before.

Most olympic lifters have some degree of hip tuck when they squat
I don't think I've ever seen anyone who isn't asian squat full depth without hip tuck lol

So I realised today that I easily have the flexibility now to go ass to grass on front squats.

Good.

With a similar stance, should I be able to go ass to grass on both high bar and low bar squats?

I don't see why not. From a mechanical point of view, your joints are doing the same movements. Give it a try and let us know. Science is cool.

From next week I am increasing my squatting so that I am maxing out 4x a week, should I go ass to grass on these maxes?

How come the maxing out 4x a week? How long is that cycle going to be? To answer your question, It may be quite difficult for you to rise up from a rock bottom ATG squat position. The most important thing is that your knee joint is equal to or lower than your hip joint. The most important thing is to keep the most important thing, the most important thing.

Should I go ass to grass on my regular high volume squat sets or is a few inches below parallel fine?

Why would you short change yourself? Train safe & right.

You probably didn't see the thread, I am building myself up to daily squat maxes a la Broz, Pendlay etc

Yeah, I am increasing it to 4x a week as of Monday
Going well so far with 3x a week

After all these years, I reckon going ATG, which is a "full squat" a "proper squat" is what everyone should do, if they can, and a lot can't, which is fine, as long as you find exercises that equal the benefits of the full squat.

the half squat is the common exercise, and nowhere nere as productive, so if you can't full squat, find alternatives.

if one can full squat, then all one needs are;
press
dip
chin
sldl
Curl

seriously.