• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

TrentZor

This write up is from my experience. All the belwo i calculate for clients and just hand them the final numbers. But if u want to do these yourself this is what ive do.

I have over 9 members now reach their goals in under 6 months. Largest drop being 90kg -65kg.
I dont go into too much detail so i wont here and keep things simple so clients can follow. Once u get into detail they switch off its your job to motivate them not bore them to death with info.

Questions to ask yourself -

What is your LBM?
Without doing a dexa scan. LBM is usually your current bodyweight minus your BF%. (note this isnt an accurate methos as you might have a massive toe which throws out the numbers but once again this is just for your average joe)

Ive found this formula works as well.

Lean Body Weight (men) = (1.10 x Weight(kg)) - 128 x ( Weight^2/(100 x Height(m))2)
Lean Body Weight (women) = (1.07 x Weight(kg)) - 148 x ( Weight^2/(100 x Height(m))2)

Now which diet is for you?

keto/low carb diet- Guys who gain weight easily and gain bad weight easily.

Breakdown -

Protien (g) = LBM (in pounds) x 1.6
Fat (g) = LBM (in pounds) x 0.6
Carbs (g) = Less than 50g (i do 50 as sometimes u have to eat out and its like playing russian roullete. Being on a diet doesnt mean u have to give up a social life)

Example a person with 75kg LBM person would be
Protien = 264g
Fats = 100g
Carbs = 50g
Total calories = 2156 cal

Meal plan -If u want to eat 4 meals then divide those macros by 4. If the client feels like eating 5 then divide by 5 etc.

Water - Minimum 30ml/kg bodyweight (100kg = 3L water) more the better.
Foods
Veges - Use these to make up the carbs. Cooked broccoli is 2g carbs for every 28g for example.
Meat -Any meats is fine. bacon is also fine.
Spices - Stay away from anything with sugar. Use salt/pepper/garlic salt/mustard/sugar free soy
Carbs - Get these from nuts and veges.

Kicking off the KETO

Weeks 1 and 2 = Low carbs for 14 days
(I usually have my clients start on a monday)
On a sunday recarb*)

Weeks 3 onwards = Monday till saturday is no carbs. Sunday is carb up day*

CARB REFEEDS
*How much carbs u eat during your refeed depends on your %BF. If your over 15-20% BF and over then only one meal of 1g/1kg bw is fine)
** If your 10-15% BF are u can afford up to 3 meals of 1g/1kg per meal refeed eevry 7th day.
*** If your under 10% then u can refeed every 5 days.

What to expect?
Around 500-800g weight loss a week is fine. Anything over and your most likely eating into muscle.
Weeks 1-2 u will usually lose 2-2.5kg. Then 0.5-0.8kg every week after till u hit the really low BF% then it slows down somewhat.

Some Current results with clients?

Hugo - 114kg to 99kg (4 months). Strength still climbing. Deadlift from 130kg to 180kg.
Julie - 88kg to 65kg (5 months) she had only access to kettlebells and bodyweight exercises. Plus she went overseas on holidays
Cathy - 68kg to 62kg (8 weeks). Strength still climbing. Bench went from
Karina - 68kg to 60kg (10 weeks) Deadlift went from 60kg to 90kg while on diet.

All the above have a history of being quite big and seem to gain weight easily.

Last edited:
Good write up trent, and good timing for me as well. 2kg weight loss expected in first 2 weeks, losing water weight im guessing?

Does it matter if your carbs are from sugar (e.g milk)?

Yeah the first 2 weeks are water. The 3rd week is where it hits home and gets hard.
I would stay away from milk if u can and anything with sugar. Most shakes i would only use post workout as most have some hidden sugar.

If u need to drink a fizzy drink while out and about have - coke zero/pepsi max/diet cock/zero sugar red bull/V etc

p.s im bored at work
Writing up one for carb cycling for the guys who want to lean gain atm. :D

This works out different totals to what I worked out for my last and current Keto.....
What do people do if the dont know thier LBM?
What is wrong with 65% 30% 5% ??

Can I just ask everybodies reasoning behind low carb diets? I did a high protein and low carb diet for 16 months and lost 40kg but also got very sick during this time. Carbs arent the problem its general excess calorie intake.

Carbs take a lot for the body to store them as fat. over 50% of them are burnt off during the process of turning them to fat. Overeating in all macronutrients is the problem not carbs. Carbs are so important for energy and brain function.

IMO a good balance of all macronutrients should be included in everybodies diet and then tweaked depending on your body.

others opinions?

This works out different totals to what I worked out for my last and current Keto.....
What do people do if the dont know thier LBM?

As per my post above.

Ive found this formula works as well.

Lean Body Weight (men) = (1.10 x Weight(kg)) - 128 x ( Weight2/(100 x Height(m))2)
Lean Body Weight (women) = (1.07 x Weight(kg)) - 148 x ( Weight2/(100 x Height(m))2)

What is wrong with 65% 30% 5% ??

Theres nothing wrong with the cookie cutter one as u suggested.
Only thing is i have a higher Fats % due to my members who are trained and utilizing these stores of fats alot more.

I believe the cookie cutters ones were designed for the your everday joe.

Can I just ask everybodies reasoning behind low carb diets? I did a high protein and low carb diet for 16 months and lost 40kg but also got very sick during this time. Carbs arent the problem its general excess calorie intake.

Carbs take a lot for the body to store them as fat. over 50% of them are burnt off during the process of turning them to fat. Overeating in all macronutrients is the problem not carbs. Carbs are so important for energy and brain function.

IMO a good balance of all macronutrients should be included in everybodies diet and then tweaked depending on your body.

others opinions?

As mentioned in my post. The lower your % BF goes the amount of carbs (increases) and the days of low carb without (increases).
I generally have found this works well on people who are around 20% and over.
Your body can utilize a days worth of carbs over 3 days depending on your activity level. So its not like your body will run out.

Alot of people forget to actively monitor their BF% and account for the refeeds amount/intervals.

CARB REFEEDS
*How much carbs u eat during your refeed depends on your %BF. If your over 15-20% BF and over then only one meal of 1g/1kg bw is fine)
** If your 10-15% BF are u can afford up to 3 meals of 1g/1kg per meal refeed eevry 7th day.
*** If your under 10% then u can refeed every 5 days.

Carbs are so important for energy and brain function.

when in ketosis the bodies produces ketones which are used for energy and brain function. people that do well in ketosis often claim they think clearer and have just as much energy as if they were on high carb diets.

i find the 65/30/5 is a great guide to go by but for myself i go higher with fat and lower with carbs. i try to eliminate as many carbs as possible.

Thanks trent i understand what your saying there. Its sort of like theres no point refuelling a car if its still got 3 quarters of a tank left etc.

Thanks trent i understand what your saying there. Its sort of like theres no point refuelling a car if its still got 3 quarters of a tank left etc.

Theres also a carb cycling diet which im trialing with the members and have written which is generally used for guys who like to gain/retain muscle and shed fat. These guys are generally already at 13-15% BF with some good muscle behind them.

Any forum takers? :)

Carb cycling sounds like an ideal diet if I can add/maintain muscle and lose some fat in the process.

What are the gains like compared to a traditional bulking up diet?

Hey Trent,

I was using your calculation;
Lean Body Weight (men) = (1.10 x Weight(kg)) - 128 x ( Weight2/(100 x Height(m))2)

to work out my LBM but kept getting an LBM approx 8kg higher than my current weight. (I'm currently 182cm 88kg getting a LBM result of 96.46kg) I'm not too sure where I'm calculating it wrong are you able to see what I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated !!

Im still out on the gains of both but i know on carb cycling i think and perform better due to my body not being weighed down from over excess calories. I have seen LBM gains while carb cycling with some clients so this can only be a good thing.

I currently running this on malceb as part of his 2012 body transformation.

so far after 10 weeks
His waist has gotten smaller and arms/chest/legs/back gotten bigger (using tape measure)
Ill see how he goes in the next 10 weeks :)

Last edited: