• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

my friend's routine, need feedback

fqqs

He wants to bulk but currently he is without Internet (problems with his provider) so he asked me to post here this on his behalf:

He can only work out 3 days a week.

Monday - Pull

Sumo deadlift 5x5 (straight sets)
Wide pullups (weighted) 3x6-8
BB Rows 4x6-8
Barbell curls 3x8-10
Concentration curls 3x8-10
Abs

Wednesday - Push

Bench press 5x5 (straight sets)
Dips (weighted) 3x6-8
DB Inc Flyes 3x10 (meanwhile triceps is recovering for military press)
Military press 3x6-8
Lateral raises 3x10-12
Inc tricep ext 4x8-10

Friday - Legs

Front squat 5x5 (straight sets)
Bulgarian split squat w/ db 4x6-8
Ham curls 3x8-10
Single leg calf raise 3x10-12
Single leg seated calf raise 3x10-12
Abs

2-3 min rest on compounds, 1 min on isolations (30s calves, abs)

I would be very grateful for your feedback

Why do people always put deadlifts on the pull day and not the leg day? It makes no sense to me whatsoever considering they are a hamstring/glute exercise

Because I personally find them too taxing to run both on the same day now.

Mentally I just couldn't handle it.

Why do people always put deadlifts on the pull day and not the leg day? It makes no sense to me whatsoever considering they are a hamstring/glute exercise

They are also a lower back exercise!

Because I personally find them too taxing to run both on the same day now.

Mentally I just couldn't handle it.

This as well, could not face doing squats and dead lifts the same day any longer, this is one of the main reasons I have two different whole body workouts, workout A and workout B, one being a squat based workout, the other being a dead lift based workout!

Last edited:

Brb, adding deadlift to my push day cos you don't pull deadlifts lol.

Brb, adding deadlift to my push day cos you don't pull deadlifts lol.

It makes more sense to put deadlifts on leg day if you're doing push/pull/legs.

Stick upper body pressing on push, upper body pulling on pull and all lower body stuff on legs. If you're doing just push/pull then it makes sense, but if you have a leg day I can't fathom why you would but deadlifts on any day but leg day (considering you can't work your lower back without also working your legs)

It makes more sense to put deadlifts on leg day if you're doing push/pull/legs..........
but if you have a leg day I can't fathom why you would but deadlifts on any day but leg day (considering you can't work your lower back without also working your legs)
Seriously?
A young beginner might get away with it but anyone with experience who has learnt to lift with intensity would find it pretty heavy going to do heavy squats and deadlifts in the same workout.
Also, I wouldn't consider deads as a leg exercise.

Last edited:
Seriously?
A young beginner might get away with it but anyone with experience who has learnt to lift with intensity would find it pretty heavy going to do heavy squats and deadlifts in the same workout.

lol Konstantinovs goes heavy on squats and then deadlifts twice a week, and squats once more a week. Inb4 "but he's an elite athlete!!1"

If you can't squat and deadlift heavy in the same workout, you're a pussy

Seriously?

It's more that most people are soft.

Reactions: 0ni

i tend to agree with this, i dunno why people get so upset about doing these two exercises in the same workout? my best lifts were all acheived squatting and deadlifting in the same session 3 x week plus a 4th squat only day on the odd occasion. i guess if your squatting 200+ and deading 250+ then it might be taxing but for the beginner/intermediate squatting 120 and deading 150 they should handle it peice of cake

lol Konstantinovs goes heavy on squats and then deadlifts twice a week, and squats once more a week. Inb4 "but he's an elite athlete!!1"

Yes I'm a pussy

Leave deads on pull day. Its allows you a little more leg volume on leg day and effectively gives you a second leg day later in the weak.

KK would approve of this more than just doing legs once a week.

Oni, you're just arguing semantics here and giving no thought to the bigger picture.

Leave deads on pull day. Its allows you a little more leg volume on leg day and effectively gives you a second leg day later in the weak.

KK would approve of this more than just doing legs once a week.

Oni, you're just arguing semantics here and giving no thought to the bigger picture.

And what is the bigger picture?

Then why do push/pull/legs? Clearly dedicating a day to each lift is the best way to go (similar template to 5/3/1)

It would also imply that the beginners routine here would be a poor choice