• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Standard Barbell stength, and where to buy???

Spark

Hi guys

I'm taking up Markos starting strength program.

As such, I'll need a barbell which can support at a minimum 180kg (for the deadlifts).

Unfortunately, I only have standard weight plates.

I'm unsure what my current 6' standard bar can support 180kg.

As such, I'd rather buy a bar which can support such weights.

I was wondering if anybody sold a standard bar, which can support over say 200-250kg?

I've emailed ABC and Workout workshop, but I haven't received a reply.

Cheers!

ABC have one, There are 2 hole sizes with standard plates as well.

Yeah, I've emailed ABC, but as of yet I haven't received a reply.

I've just found this product (Standard super strength) on the ABC website. This could be the bar for me! Are there any other products out there?

http://www.australianbarbellco.com/...CT-DIMENSIONS/ASSORTED PRODUCT DIMENSIONS.pdf

As for the hole size of the standard plates, I was under the impression you have a 25mm and 28mm hole size?

Last edited:
I have pulled 180 with my $50 28mm force barbell.

I have a 25mm homemade barbell that could handle any amount of weight.

Last edited:
1" cold rolled steel bar is what you need if you want to make your own.

The ABC bar would be the go if the price is ok and you have the 29mm hole plates.

Post up the price of the ABC bar once you know.

I had an abc standard 7ft bar. Took a fair beating but after a fair few 200 pulls it started to bend. Try and find a buyer for your standard gear and grab some oly stuff.

Well use the bar you have once it starts bending buy another I bought a $50 bar on ebay for dead lifts, supposedly rated to 250kg, dead lifted just under 170 with it and it seems ok, it's a 28mm bar.

Also have home made bars for squats and bench press and they have no problems doing my 145kg squat so far, not huge weights but I think I will not outgrow my bars in a hurry.

Well if you have plenty of money to burn buy oly plates and bar, but for $50 I think the 28mm I bought is fine, just make sure your plates have 29mm hole as some only have 26-27mm hole and they will not fit 28mm bars:)

This is the seller, it has the address on the add:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/47-5kg-R...h_Training&hash=item230f795283#ht_6331wt_1010

I guess he does not have the bars on eBay as they are too hard to post, but just message them

Last edited:
I'd just grab any 28mm standard bar that you can find. If it does bend then you've got a cambered bar you can use for squatting.

If it's only going to be loaded up when deadlifting it'll probably be fine. Things like squatting and power shrugs will bend a bar a lot quicker than deadlifting because of the change in direction during the movement.

I used to pull weights in the 200 kg range about once a week on my standard bar and it didn't have issues. Squatting heavy did bend it badly, though.

I had an abc standard 7ft bar. Took a fair beating but after a fair few 200 pulls it started to bend.

I'm not surprised! From the ABC website, the standard 7ft bar is only rated to 150kg!

Well use the bar you have once it starts bending buy another I bought a $50 bar on ebay for dead lifts, supposedly rated to 250kg, dead lifted just under 170 with it and it seems ok, it's a 28mm bar.

Do you have a link to this bar by any chance?

Well if you have plenty of money to burn buy oly plates and bar, but for $50 I think the 28mm I bought is fine, just make sure your plates have 29mm hole as some only have 26-27mm hole and they will not fit 28mm bars:)

Unfortunately I don't, else I'd sell up and buy oly plates & bar :(

But luckily for me, my plates are 29mm, so they'll take a 28mm bar just fine :)

I'd just grab any 28mm standard bar that you can find. If it does bend then you've got a cambered bar you can use for squatting.

Didn't think of that, thanks!

If it's only going to be loaded up when deadlifting it'll probably be fine. Things like squatting and power shrugs will bend a bar a lot quicker than deadlifting because of the change in direction during the movement.

I used to pull weights in the 200 kg range about once a week on my standard bar and it didn't have issues. Squatting heavy did bend it badly, though.

Thanks for the info!

Had a look can not find it at the moment, will do another search later.

You in Sydney?? As it was pick up in Condell Park, in Sydney's south west. There is a whole ware house of stuff there, was $49 for the bar walk in walk out with spring collars, it's 28mm.

Will try and find the seller for you again.

Had a look can not find it at the moment, will do another search later.

You in Sydney?? As it was pick up in Condell Park, in Sydney's south west. There is a whole ware house of stuff there, was $49 for the bar walk in walk out with spring collars, it's 28mm.

Will try and find the seller for you again.

Nah mate, I'm based in Melbourne...but if you could find the seller that would be great! Also, how is the knurling on the barbell? Is it fine or rough?

This is the seller, it has the address on the add:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/47-5kg-Ru...ht_6331wt_1010

I guess he does not have the bars on eBay as they are too hard to post, but just message them and they might be able to work something out at a reasonable rate, it's a really nice bar.

Or just find one in Melbourne you like, look for 28mm bars, most of them will handle over 200kg

Here is one similar to mine (might even be the same):
180CM STANDARD BAR

Hunt around some of the second hand places to mate, I scored my oly bar with a heaps of coated 20kg plates for a steal.