• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spark

Hi guys!

Well first off, I'm an idiot (read below) and I'm now paying the price for my stupidity.

I play pennant squash (ie once per week in a local competition). During one match back in October last year, I was playing absolutely terribly, and as such, lost the match. In a final fit of rage before leaving the court after the final point, I punched the back wall with my right fist. It wasn't just a little tap; it had some force behind it. I punched the wall with my right wrist cocked left. As such, my pinkie and ring knuckles receiving the brunt of the force.

Consequencly, I walked off court with a very sore and tender hand. Initially I had difficulty extending my fingers, but half hour later I regained full functionality. At that point, my ring and pinkie knuckles were tender when pressed on with a finger. My middle and index knuckle were not sore or tender to touch.

Next day I woke up with a sore wrist, and tender pinkie/ring knuckles. The soreness in my wrist was gone a day later, with the tenderness in the pinkie/knuckle was gone a month or so after the incident.

My problem is this: When performing any movement were the palms of my hands face my body (ie barbell/dumbbell curls, chin ups ect ect) I feel a pain in my right wrist, in and around the "head" to the "intercarpal articulations" region (refer to diagram below). There is no other pain in my right wrist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gray334.png

This pain has been present in my right wrist since I stupidly punched the wall. I've switched exercises so they don't strain or give me any pain in my right wrist (ie hammer curls don't hurt my wrist, and neither do pullups...), but the pain is still present when I perform a chin up or a standard barbell/dumbbell curl, or any mid/heavy lifting movement were my palms are facing my body ie lifting up a slab of beer from the bottom.

I've recently seen a doctor; he has stated I've got Tendonitis. I've also had x-ray of my wrist, the results of which I should know by Tuesday next week.

I'm wondering what damage I've done to my right wrist, if it's permanent, and whether I'll require surgery to fix the problem?

I know this isn't a medical forum; basically I'm just after some general advice and experiences from those who may have experience a similar issue, and what they did to resolve this issue.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

no one here will know exactly what damage you've done, all you can do is wait for the xray and next time dont be such a tool

Really need to get the xrays back to find out.

I did something very similar, punched a guy in the head and because he attempted to dodge, I got him with my pinkie / ring knuckles just like you mention. On mine, i broke the bone that is halfway between your pinkie knuckle and wrist, i don't remember what it's called and had to have the whole forearm in a cast.

It healed fine, but I no longer have a knuckle in that position. No loss of functionality.

no one here will know exactly what damage you've done, all you can do is wait for the xray and next time dont be such a tool

Yep 100% correct. I was a tool for losing my cool and punching the wall. Paying the price for it right now. Hopefully (for my sake anyway) I can make a full recovery.

Really need to get the xrays back to find out.

I did something very similar, punched a guy in the head and because he attempted to dodge, I got him with my pinkie / ring knuckles just like you mention. On mine, i broke the bone that is halfway between your pinkie knuckle and wrist, i don't remember what it's called and had to have the whole forearm in a cast.

After a bit of research, I think you suffered a "bar room fracture"

Boxer's fracture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It healed fine, but I no longer have a knuckle in that position. No loss of functionality.

Great to hear! Hopefully I can expect a similiar outcome!

Healed basically straight away once the plaster came off. The knuckle is gone for good, but thats only aesthetic.

UPDATE: I've just come back from the doctors. The x-rays show no bone damage.

The report which came from the x-rays is as follows:

X-RAY RIGHT HAND AND WRIST
"No acute bone or joint abnormalities. No erosions or destruction lesions. Alignment anatomic with joint enlocated.
Normal soft tissue.

CONCLUSION:
No abnormal findings. Specifically, no plain radiographic evidence for fracture.

The doctor has now advised me to simply avoid the movement which leads to the pain, and give it more time to heal.

At this point, I'm unusre what to do from here. It's good news that there's no bone damage/breaks/fractures. But it's still painful if I perform a curl or chinup.

Is it time to seek a second opinion ie another doctor or a physio?

Just avoid stuff that makes it hurt for a week or 2 then reassess.

Go back and see him again if it's still causing issues.

Do what the doctor advised.

Just avoid stuff that makes it hurt for a week or 2 then reassess.

Go back and see him again if it's still causing issues.

Will do.

It's frustrating, because I want to get stuck into the weights, and this damn wrist is holding me back...but on the other hand, the receptionist at the surgery was cute, so I might have to make a return trip in any case :)

Will do.

It's frustrating, because I want to get stuck into the weights, and this damn wrist is holding me back...but on the other hand, the receptionist at the surgery was cute, so I might have to make a return trip in any case :)

There's always a silver lining ;)

That reminds me i love going to the skatepark and watching kids on there skateboards go mental because they cant land the tricks there trying, this kid was trying to grind this rail for like half an hour each attempt he was getting more fustrated, he then snapped and pegged his skareboard at the rail and yelled SEE WHAT FUCKIN HAPPENS WHEN YOU PISS ME OFF, i couldnt help but chuckle.

That reminds me i love going to the skatepark and watching kids on there skateboards go mental because they cant land the tricks there trying, this kid was trying to grind this rail for like half an hour each attempt he was getting more fustrated, he then snapped and pegged his skareboard at the rail and yelled SEE WHAT FUCKIN HAPPENS WHEN YOU PISS ME OFF, i couldnt help but chuckle.

I would have walked up to him and said "you mad bro?"

I would have walked up to him and said "you mad bro?"

ObamaMad.jpg

I think that you are entilled one stuff up. So now think before doing anything close to that again.
I actually broke my middle toe on my left foot. But that was while changing the tyre on my ute. The 4 way wheel brace fell off the nut and hit my toe. So this really hurt, and still does, well it only happened 2 week ago.

The wrist is a pain because it takes so damn long to heal. The hand/wrist has a lot of bones/ligaments and tendons. Couple that with making it very hard to keep them immobile = slower recovery. I would avoid weights that aggravate it and follow the advice of a physio.

Sorry for posting on a dead thread but I need help. Spark (confused soul) please PM me.