• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Safety squat bars

Alpha Moth

I'm starting to think that my shoulder problem is due to squats and the awkward position my shoulders are in. Can squats do this?

I was thinking of getting a safety squat bar, are they worth it, especially for shoulders? Will it be a huge difference to normal squatting?

I got a trap bar for deadlifts and my shoulders love that.

I dont have much knowledge in what you are seeking. but i did see a squat safety bar at ptc.
I believe they have it there for people experiencing difficulties pulling the shoulders back.

Last edited:
We have one.
Guys with shoulder injuries use it.
Guys use it for good mornings.
Guys use it for box squats.

It's a great tool to have, but by no means a necessity.

If you have bung shoulders, find out why, and fix them.
That's going to be your best option.

As Sticky said, figure out what's causing the problem first before you try to remedy it. If it is squats that are causing the problem, maybe switching from low bar to high bar (or vice versa) would be a more suitable option?

would these be a good exercise for someone who has a lot of lower back tightness? i do a lot of repetitive work that causes my lower back muscles to tighten up quite a bit. been that way for years now

They are a LOT different to use than a real bar.

You will find you crank thru the core harder & they are a lot harder to arch out the hole.

I used one for about 8 weeks while my forearms were toast from my gyms flogged out old bent shitty flag poles.

would these be a good exercise for someone who has a lot of lower back tightness? i do a lot of repetitive work that causes my lower back muscles to tighten up quite a bit. been that way for years now

They tend to throw you forwards and overload the spinal erectors. If you have a tight lower back, I'd seek a massage therapist. That ART seems popular but I'm pretty positive that if you know what you're doing you can do SMR on it with a small medicine ball, a bit like this woman is doing, but where you're having the problems:

thoracic-1.jpg