• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Comments & ideas wanted on my current diet

troyz

Hey guys, really interested to get some input re my diet.
As a background I'm approx 193/4 cm tall and currently weigh about 90 kg's. Been working out for about 12 months now, within the past 3 months I've moved to 5 days a week and seeing good results. Looking to keep bulking and adding muscle but I don't want to escalate growth in my mid section.
Breakfast (also pre workout): 5 wheetbix in skim milk with ½ scoop protein powder. 1 banana. Pre-workout drink if I am feeling thrashed or on chest days and back days. Also have a multi and fish oil.
Post Workout - 1 ½ scoops*of protein powder & 5g creatine in skim milk. 2 boiled eggs
Morning Snack (varies...): 2 pieces of brown toast with peanut butter OR 1 pear OR cup of yoghurt*with walnuts OR handful of almonds. With whatever combination of the above I also have a protein shake in water (1 scoop).
Lunch: Can of tuna (185 g) or 150g chicken (cooked) with salad (broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, etc), 1 slice of cheese, some olives, 3/4 cup of brown rice (boiled)
Afternoon snack: Hummus and carrot sticks OR handful of almonds OR yoghurt. With whatever combination of the above I also have a protein shake in water (1 scoop).
Dinner: Fish, chicken, steak, mince etc (150 g) plus veggies or salad or both.
Thoughts, comments, advice appreciated. Any idea's on good morning/afternoon snacks would be appreciated!!! Where can I improve? I've been trying to aim for a low 3000 cal intake and the last time I punched all that into a calculator it came out roughly in the low 3100 zone...

Happy to provide more info if needed.
Thanks all!

Even if the calorie intake is appropriate, for body composition the breakdown of the macronutrients are of importance.

On first look, fat could be too low. Do you eat that exact same thing 7 days a week? How often are you varying veggie types?

I know everyone is waiting for it......So why do you eat so many times per day?

Even if the calorie intake is appropriate, for body composition the breakdown of the macronutrients are of importance.

On first look, fat could be too low. Do you eat that exact same thing 7 days a week? How often are you varying veggie types?

I know everyone is waiting for it......So why do you eat so many times per day?

So to increase fat what would you suggest? Avocado's in the salads?

Usually follow this plan 5 days a week, weekends are more relaxed but still clean (I.e I don't go running for KFC or Maccas).

It is 6 meals, 7 if you count post workout. I eat that many meals so that I can keep the calorie intake around the 3K mark...

Thanks for the input so far Max

Yeah Maccas and KFC do clean their food :D

Clean food is the ultra going past normal sanity levels of what is healthy. There are healthier foods that have been less processed or are whole foods not devoid of micronutrients fibre etc and you should try to eat them over more processed less nutritious food (in terms of fiber and micronutrients) but so called "non clean" foods do not make you any fatter (very minimal difference) than the "clean" variety. going past normal sanity levels on things is always an issue and this is what eating clean is.

The big issue is energy density in the "non clean" foods. Maccas burgers are not filling and are highly energy dense which makes it very easy for you to overeat. They are also not normally balanced in macronutrients which can significantly affect your body composition (skinny fat 90kg guy vs shredded and muscular 90kg guy)

You can eat anything you want if purely body comp is your goal as long as your macronutrients and overall calorie intake is right but don't expect your internal health to be good. Plus getting in your micros and fiber etc will help keep you ticking over better in how you feel/energy levels etc.

Try to aim for a minimum of 80% from low/un processed whole foods if you can and allow yourself a Maccas burger or a chocolate bar just make sure it fits into your calorie and macronutrient levels. But once again this is just for a holistic health point of view.

Last edited:
Hahaha @ Shrek. Yeah clean is a dirty word.

Troy, Dave pretty much summed it up for me :)

Basically form a physiological stand point, different food types have no bearing on body composition. Calories and macronutirents determine body composition. But again take into consideration what Dave has said.

Also check out this article by my man crush Alan Aragon - The Dirt on Clean Eating | Wannabebig

And on meal frequency, it is of personal preference :) I only ask you that because some people think they NEED to eat more frequently due them having the impression of it having a metabolic advantage over a lower meal frequency, which IS NOT the case. Check out this by Lyle McDonald - The Energy Balance Equation | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

I hope we have helped you out mate :)

Last edited: