• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

positive vs negative reinforcement

canned tuna

My training buddy performs better with positive reinforcement, but for me - it's all insults and criticism that help motivation.
Would be interesting to understand the mentality of it.
What helps your motivation? Do you prefer positive or negative feedback...

yep getting blasted throughout the session then praised for your performance is a winning combination for me

generally like most of you have said positive reinforcement successful motivational technique, but negative reinforcement used sparingly can be very effective

My training buddy performs better with positive reinforcement, but for me - it's all insults and criticism that help motivation.
Would be interesting to understand the mentality of it.
What helps your motivation? Do you prefer positive or negative feedback...

As you have stated it depends on 'your personality'.

Some ppl are motivated by 'moving towards' what they want
and other by 'moving away' from what they don't want.

But the best motivation is to move towards what you want. IE
positive. However, sometimes in life (Daimler Chrysler, IBM) are
examples of 'negative' motivation - that is someone told the guys
above that they were not good enough. They went out to prove the
person wrong and succeeded.

I like to use both methods on myself. Here are some questions to
ask yourself 'consistently' in any situation.

1. What is the impact of doing x in my life?
2. What is the impact of Not doing x in my life?

Now make a decision based on the answers.

Devante. :D

It depends what mood I am in, sometimes I like people to give me flattery (trust me it don't happen much), but other times negativity can motivate the shit out of me. I love proving to people that I can do what they say I can't.

Definitely positive for me, only the very, very occasional bit of negative (and depending who it comes from).

Positive reinforcement almost always helps, unless it sets off my BS radar. Negative reinforcement...depends on how it's done. For example: "Come on man, you've got 2 more reps, don't bitch out on me!" would work. "You fail at life, you'll never be able to lift that fucking weight!" wouldn't.

"You fail at life, you'll never be able to lift that fucking weight!" wouldn't.

LOL........depends who says it, if its a little wanker that you wouldn't even hit with your fist you would smash that weight and bitch slap his ass, on the other hand, if it was someone you respected, and they were serious, =bummer and would de-motivate.

I have a friend who, when we play basketball, shoots better when I insult the shit out of him even though he knows I am doing it for that reason. It works to a point though so you have to choose your optimum time for abuse.

Client wise you need to get to know the person first then test the waters gradually. Usually a slightly negative works during the set (come on don't quit on me/ if you don't do this one you get another set) and positive post set (especially before you critique their techniques). Some people only respond to positive though and yiu feel you have to baby them through everything. Most of my negatives are sarcastic comments though so my clients know what is coming as they know what I am like.

LOL........depends who says it, if its a little wanker that you wouldn't even hit with your fist you would smash that weight and bitch slap his ass, on the other hand, if it was someone you respected, and they were serious, =bummer and would de-motivate.
Truth be dat.