• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squats

Subotai

Hi again

I have seen some videos of squats and what I'm wondering is.....how much of the movement, when you go up is due to your lower back?

I'm asking this because lately it seems that when I'm going up with the bar, the last hmmm third of the movement my lower backs kicks in a lot, I can still feel my legs doing a lot of the power but after the exercise I feel that my lower back has been involve too much.

It's like my legs are going "shiiiit man" and then my lower backs is "wait manI'll help, fuuuuuck"

Hi again

I have seen some videos of squats and what I'm wondering is.....how much of the movement, when you go up is due to your lower back?

I'm asking this because lately it seems that when I'm going up with the bar, the last hmmm third of the movement my lower backs kicks in a lot, I can still feel my legs doing a lot of the power but after the exercise I feel that my lower back has been involve too much.

It's like my legs are going "shiiiit man" and then my lower backs is "wait manI'll help, fuuuuuck"

I'm no squatting expert and i'm not sure if you've already seen these but this video did help me with my squatting form

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ]Mark Rippetoe: Intro to the Squat - YouTube[/ame]

EDIT - Squatting with a wider stance will put more stress on the legs than the back
If this doesn't help look on the side and there will be more videos of mark rippetoe and squatting. This one may help too:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8&feature=relmfu]Mark Rippetoe: Fixing the Squat: Hip Drive - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Can't say anything without seeing your squat. It is possible you are goodmorning it up.

yeah, I was trying to get a hold of a camera to have a video of it.

It just feels like the last part of the movement is done primarily by my lower back, that extra push to finally stand

Thanks for the videos man.

I need to see how do I look myself when I'm squatting and compare to those videos.

Can't say anything without seeing your squat. It is possible you are goodmorning it up.

This is also what I am thinking, you sound like your formis wrong and you are goodmorning it up.

We need a vid mate

The last portion of the lift should be all glutes. You should not feel it in the lower back and you should be feeling like it is really strong and powerful in that part. But once again can't tell shit without a video............