• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
What do you guys think of a hex bar for deadlifts? got on for christmas, feels so much better for my shoulders especially.

Going to get a safety squat bar too.

What do you guys think of a hex bar for deadlifts? got on for christmas, feels so much better for my shoulders especially.

Going to get a safety squat bar too.

Haven't used one personally, but I always wondered about them (the hex bar that is). As for the safety squat bar, I only ever used one once, didn't get much benefit from it as I just felt like I wasn't tight when holding the handles. I didn't really see the point to the safety squat bar after that, having said that I am comfortable with a regular bar on my back so that's probably why. My mate says they rule for other exercises such as good mornings etc.

I have a question about the deadlift. As I push using my legs like a leg press from the starting position, I have my back as straight as possible, also tensed up as with my abs. Do I keep the back and abs tensed up throughout the whole rep, I find if I dont then my back starts to round out due to the weight pulling on my back?

Also, once the bar is above my knees, I am supposed to 'use my hips'. I don't know if I am doing that, I seem to be using my back to bring myself to an upright position. It reminds me of the back extensions you do on the hyperextension apparatus. Is that correct or not?

hex bar = standing leg press. Great for squat jumps though.

It's not a standing leg press, but if one was going to describe the difference between the barbell dead-lift and a trap-bar lift then it would more resemble that.

It's not a dead-lift, it's not a squat, it's not a standing leg-press, it's a trap bar lift.

What people need to stop doing is saying "this versus that", every exercise is different and different variations.

I have a question about the deadlift. As I push using my legs like a leg press from the starting position, I have my back as straight as possible, also tensed up as with my abs. Do I keep the back and abs tensed up throughout the whole rep, I find if I dont then my back starts to round out due to the weight pulling on my back?

Also, once the bar is above my knees, I am supposed to 'use my hips'. I don't know if I am doing that, I seem to be using my back to bring myself to an upright position. It reminds me of the back extensions you do on the hyperextension apparatus. Is that correct or not?

Your whole body is lifting the bar, including your head.

But the guy I train with reckons that if I shouldnt use my back apart from tensing it. How do I use my head to do the deadlift anyways?

It's not a standing leg press, but if one was going to describe the difference between the barbell dead-lift and a trap-bar lift then it would more resemble that.

It's not a dead-lift, it's not a squat, it's not a standing leg-press, it's a trap bar lift.

What people need to stop doing is saying "this versus that", every exercise is different and different variations.

Very true.