• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gaining muscle while dropping fat.

MaxBrenner

Gaining muscle while dropping fat. (more to add later)

Muscle growth/increasing LBM is done by stimulating the body with the appropriate stimulus. Increasing load on the muscle forces growth due the body needing to adapt to be able to handle the volume of work.
The next part of that is to ensure protein synthesis is greater than protein breakdown. Consuming adequate protein and resistance training stimulates protein synthesis. Human muscle protein synthesis and breakdown during and after exercise.
FYI resistance training stimulates protein synthesis for 24 hours REGARDLESS of being in a FED or Fasted state. Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar prote... [J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Meaning nutrient timing is irrelevant unless you have multiple glycogen depleting sessions for the same group of muscles in the one day and have limited time to get nutrients in before the next session. Carbohydrates for replenishment of glycogen can be consumed over a 24hr period to achieve full levels.

When a subject exercises, muscle glycogen declines and is slowly restored over the following 24 h if carbohydrate intake is normal. Not to mention Glycogen also starts to be replenished even without the presence of carbohydrates Muscle glycogen concentration during... [Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 1978] - PubMed - NCBI

Therefore, when two exercise sessions of 1 h is separated by 2 h, the second bout of exercise is undertaken with low muscle glycogen at its start, whereas muscle glycogen is restored before each exercise bout when the exercise is separated by 24 h. http://jap.physiology.org/content/98/1/93.long

Also carbohydrate type is irrelevant on either performance or replenishment. JISSN | Full text | The effects of low and high glycemic index foods on exercise performance and beta-endorphin responses

Consuming adequate protein in time of CALORIE DEFICITS limits any LMB losses Increased protein intake reduces lean b... [Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI and ensuring the calorie deficit is not excessive LBM gains can be made Effect of two different weight-... [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Protein synthesis is stimulated at a great rate with the ingestion of >1.5g/kg and REGARDLESS of frequency makes NO difference in the protein retention. Influence of the Protein Digestion Rate on Protein Turnover in Young and Elderly Subjects

There are many different pathways/methods go into increasing LBM and decreasing BF, but on the basis it is being in a calorie deficit will induce BF decreases (due to the BF being the primary source of STORED ENERGY) and ensuring protein synthesis is greater than protein breakdown (via adequate protein and performing resistance training).

Now being in a calorie SURPLUS will allow for muscle gain at optimum/fast rates. Also the amount of BF will also play a part in how fast an increase in LBM can occur when in a calorie deficit. An individual with a higher BF will have the ability to gain LBM at a fast rate due to of course a higher amount of STORED ENERGY. That should seem quite common sense. For a leaner individual of course it is the harder to drop BF and increase LBM, and at that it is a SLOW rate. Mainly due to hormonal functions, but that is beyond the realms of this essay.

Also of consideration (and it is mainly directed at the lean person trying to gain/maintain LBM while dropping BF) there are macronutirent and calorie cycling methods that can be used to maximize LBM gains while dieting and for the most part unless you are a competitive NATURAL bodybuilder and/or have hormonal imbalances/sensitivity (insulin) there is no real need to even focus on that.

Last edited:
Nice post buddy. All info is always followed up by a source :)

Used to research information from this website when I was trying to workout at home. He considers himself to be a nutritional nazi

Scooby's Workshop | Home Fitness & Bodybuilding Workouts

This guy encourages all beginners to lose weight while gaining muscle, I tried it about a year ago and gave up because his methods just didn't work for me, the way he trains never gave me any good results. Maybe this website would be interesting for you to look through? I've always wondered what people with more knowledge than me think of this guys methods.

I agree with Dave and Chris, Scooby is a semi-converted bro but still more of a bro. He still thinks foods are clean & dirty.....

Thanks guys. I could add more to it but now I'm thinking it may become too complicated if any more is added.

FYI it was far to complicated for a group of bro's yesterday and after 260 comments back and forth they still couldn't understand that MPS>MPB=LBM gain....Did my head in :D

Yeah I wash my food....down with a f'n COKE ZERO. Come at me natty health freaks :D

Sorry my reading comprehension is awful at times. Cliff notes here is lift stuff, have adequate protein, be in calorie surplus using any foods you want == LBM++

Am I missing something?

Also, confirm or deny whether this is broscience. Someone told me that you shouldn't drink with meals because it affects the acid level / enzyme balance in your stomach which in turn affects how you digest food which in turn affects how many of the calories/nutrients you actually get from it.

Sorry my reading comprehension is awful at times. Cliff notes here is lift stuff, have adequate protein, be in calorie surplus using any foods you want == LBM++

Am I missing something?

This is about dropping fat so calorie deficit.

Am I missing something?

Also, confirm or deny whether this is broscience. Someone told me that you shouldn't drink with meals because it affects the acid level / enzyme balance in your stomach which in turn affects how you digest food which in turn affects how many of the calories/nutrients you actually get from it.
Yeah as Chris mentioned, Calorie Deficit......

The foods part (which I didn't make any reference to as I bang on about it enough) is IIFYM as our body sees nutrients not food names/types. In times of calorie deficits and low calorie intakes, chances are more micronutrient dense food types will be used simple to eliminate any deficiencies (micro's). With that said all food types have pro's and con's. With in the context of a MIXED diet, food avoidance should be avoided for a number of different reasons (general health, satiety, and sanity etc).

If your have an acidity problems (either dietary or genetically induced) you may need to focus more on the alkaline/acid balance etc with food type ingestion. But just to throw a blanket statement out that drinking with food does....is just simply a massive mis-guided reason without looking at the whole picture.

The only thing that will effect nutrient (macros) up in any great way is fibre intake (soluble). And even then it is ~5% tops of nutrient uptake impairment.

If I have carbs and fat in the same meal will i get fat? LOL jkz.

Max, this is an interesting topic. If one was to reduce muscle loss and even gain lbm through a calorie defecit, are they better of creating the defecit through cardio or calorie restriction? My logic tells me a person would be better of to focus on resistance training and where possible increasing weights used and perform no cardio.

A thread on Carb cycling would be very interesting also.

If I have carbs and fat in the same meal will i get fat? LOL jkz. Bahahaha, don't even get me started on that shit

Max, this is an interesting topic. If one was to reduce muscle loss and even gain lbm through a calorie defecit, are they better of creating the defecit through cardio or calorie restriction? Dietary

My logic tells me a person would be better of to focus on resistance training and where possible increasing weights used and perform no cardio. IMO, the only time cardio should even be looked at is when calorie intake is becoming to low in terms of 'volume' of food for satiety, sanity and is leading to both macro and mirco deficiencies. The type of cardio will simply come down to personal preference and what has the LEAST amount of negative impact on resistance training.

A thread on Carb cycling would be very interesting also. One day :)
Answered above in bold :)

IMO. I believe that a caloried defecit should come from cardio if you want a healthy body. Also a fitter person will burn fat faster then a not so fit person. You also get all the benefits of cardiovascular training aswell like an increased Max Vo2, Decreased Heart rate, Increased stroke volume, Decreased blood pressure etc. Also you still get to eat a lot of food haha. Instead of just doing weights training and getting your defecit from eating below maintenance cals. thats just my 2 bob would love to hear others opinions though.