• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner Starting Strength Q's

You need upper back work both days and more pulling work in general so I've swapped the bent rows to the non-DL day and added chins both days. Choose one of the B presses, lose the other. I don't think a DL variation on both days is bad but I've reduced the volume on A.

This is what I'd do...

Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Deadlift 3x5
Chins (Close and wide grip) 5x5
Dips 3x5
Bb Curl 3x10

B-

Squat 3x10
Bent rows 3x10
Military 3x10
Incline 3x10 or Close grip bench 3x10
SLDL 3x10

1.Try to do the exercises in their proper order, they're organised like that for emphasis and to give you better recovery.

2. Pull more than push as a general rule.

3. Why are SLDLs trouble?

4. You could lose an exercise each day and not need to worry about it.

5. Run this program for a very long time, at least until you have made decent gains in both size and strength from it. Then if you wish you can turn to splits but don't make the iso orientated. Always base programs around compounds and add a few isos as an afterthought. Compounds make big, isos are just masturbation.

Thanks a lot for this I tried it out today and the small difference from the old workout to the new one made such a big difference to my lifts. I deadlifted 10kg more this week and benched 50 for 3 sets, which i've never done before. I'm sure that its not just the work out that made me feel better about my session today but it definately helped. Next thing I really want to improve with is my chins which I suck at. I can probably get in like 2 or 3 chins and maybe 2 pull ups. I'm really going to try hard to improve.

I know I still need to concerntrate on my form for my squads and deadlifts but as long as I concerntrate hard every rep i'll be able to increase weekly without having to worry about screwing up form. Anyways, seriously thanks a lot :)

EDIT - I was thinking of dropping both close grip and incline and replacing that with just regular bench since its one of the main lifts in all beginner programs?

Last edited:
Get a beginner program. Do EXACTLY everything it says and i'm not just talking about the exercises. The moment you consider improving or perfecting the program to suit yourself you have failed. Stop failing.

Okay well I read the post on fuckarounditis and without realizing I am doing some things wrong. I have changed my plan around so theres no extras only basic compound lifts and bodyweight (excluding the bb curl which was mentioned anyway)

Squat, bench, deadlift, chins, dips, bb curl

Squat, bent rows, military, chins, bench, sldl.

All standard? I don't want to completely stop what i've been doing and start again from scratch, The only real difference is that there is chin ups and pull ups, and both regular and stiff leg deadlifts which requires two seperate workouts if I want to fit all of that in. I think all of these lifts are all necessary anyway?

You need upper back work both days and more pulling work in general so I've swapped the bent rows to the non-DL day and added chins both days. Choose one of the B presses, lose the other. I don't think a DL variation on both days is bad but I've reduced the volume on A.

This is what I'd do...

Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Deadlift 3x5
Dips 3x5
Bb Curl 3x10

B-

Squat 3x10
Bent rows 3x10
Military 3x10
Incline 3x10 or Close grip bench 3x10
SLDL 3x10

1.Try to do the exercises in their proper order, they're organised like that for emphasis and to give you better recovery.

2. Pull more than push as a general rule.

3. Why are SLDLs trouble?

4. You could lose an exercise each day and not need to worry about it.

5. Run this program for a very long time, at least until you have made decent gains in both size and strength from it. Then if you wish you can turn to splits but don't make the iso orientated. Always base programs around compounds and add a few isos as an afterthought. Compounds make big, isos are just masturbation.

Hey El Freako, would this routine be ok?

A.
Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Deadlift 3x10
Chinups 5x5
Barbell curl 3x10

B.
Front Squat 3x10
Bent rows 3x10
Military 3x10
Chinups 5x5
Stiff-legged deadlift 3x10

I currently do my compound lifts in 5x5 sets. You'll find it will work better than 3x10. I do anyway