• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner Starting Strength Q's

SWH

I've been on a basic compound workout for about a month now and I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks of it? I've gathered a whole lot of info from all of the starting strength and beginner threads here and I set out a workout planner from that which combines the basic compound lifts as well as some others that were mentioned.

I started off with this as my basic lifts -

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

I liked the idea of rippetoes A and B workouts so I added some exercises and made it into 2 seperate workouts which ended up looking like this

A-

Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Bent rows 3x10
Deadlift 3x10
Dips 3x5
Bb Curl 3x10

B-

Squat 3x10
Military 3x10
Incline 3x10
Chins (Close and wide grip) 3x5
Close grip bench 3x10
SLDL 3x10

I've been on this for around a month and i'm making steady progress. I was thinking of sticking to a proper set out plan or changing it a little. I was wondering if this is too much or the wrong thing to be doing? Just looking for opinions guys. Thanks. Sam.

I would stick with it while you are making progress a month is nothing, why change something that works.

Personally I would set the exercises out a bit differently but that is up to you, I also use a A and B workout, and have added some isolation exercises to that basic compounds, check my training dairy for the workouts. I did however stick to the one workout for the first three month of getting back into it.

They work for me, but everyone is different and you have to work with the equipment you have as well if you are like me and train at home.

That is similar to my routine with a few minor changes.

A
squat
sldl
bench
row
pullup

b
front squat
Deadlift
deficit Deadlift
military press
dips
pullup

I would stick with it while you are making progress a month is nothing, why change something that works.

Personally I would set the exercises out a bit differently but that is up to you, I also use a A and B workout, and have added some isolation exercises to that basic compounds, check my training dairy for the workouts. I did however stick to the one workout for the first three month of getting back into it.

They work for me, but everyone is different and you have to work with the equipment you have as well if you are like me and train at home.

It was working well but i've been stalling on my weight at the moment (Can't seem to increase it at all) but I think thats more to do with nutrition. But i'm not really planning on changing it too much just was looking for opinions. I guess as long as im sticking to the basics. But sometimes I feel pretty fatigued coming into the last exercises since the squats and deadlifts usually kill me. I was thinking of trying out a creatine supplement to see if this would help.

Work on nutrition before adding supplements my friend.
For me stalling was a mind over matter thing.

When i first started lifting my squat was 40kgs. I would unrack the increased weight and start doubting myself. And wuss out. I even started wussing out hours before lifting. So i stopped lifting.

Find out what is causing you to stall. Do you have a training partner?

Work on nutrition before adding supplements my friend.
For me stalling was a mind over matter thing.

When i first started lifting my squat was 40kgs. I would unrack the increased weight and start doubting myself. And wuss out. I even started wussing out hours before lifting. So i stopped lifting.

Find out what is causing you to stall. Do you have a training partner?

I do have nutrition worked out but I just need to up the calories because i'm still eating like I weigh 75kg when i'm like 3-4kg heavier now. But i'l make sure I have it completely worked out first for sure.

I guess it could be that. I think its mainly my form on the compound exercises. This one time when I was deadlifting I started getting sharp pains in my lower back and it really put me off. I dropped the weight by like 30-40kgs to work on form and since then I haven't been able to gain. So i'd say that is a mind over matter thing, even though I still need major help with form especially on deadlifts and squats. A personal trainer at my gym told me deadlifts you should not feel in your back at all when I was told that the back was a major isolation in the deadlift. I dunno. Confusing.

My bench is the one that has been annoying me the most. I can't seem to get more than 6-8 reps of 50kg and its been about 3-4 weeks like that. I can't see any reason why I can't add the weight. I started at 30 and slowly rose to 50 and now I just completely stalled. At least i'm still feeling a burn throughout my chest after doing it but still. I'd like to see some strength gain ! possibly I should drop some weight and add some reps?

I do have a training partner but he's more noob than I am. He doesn't know much at all about training. I do all the research and put the meals and exercises together and he just follows. He spots so thats a positive but other than that theres not much motivation that comes from my training partner.

I liked the idea of rippetoes A and B workouts so I added some exercises and made it into 2 seperate workouts which ended up looking like this

A-

Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Bent rows 3x10
Deadlift 3x10
Dips 3x5
Bb Curl 3x10

B-

Squat 3x10
Military 3x10
Incline 3x10
Close grip bench 3x10
SLDL 3x10

Hi Sam,

I'm sure you've read by now that one of the tenets of starting strength is not to add any additional exercises... I tend to agree, build a strong platform first and then add the extras down the track. I think this is an important consideration if you have already started to stall.

Sookie is correct, check the calories, btw the nutrition is not sorted if you're not eating enough even if you're eating healthy! :)

Big Mick is also correct. Best to stick with a program for an extended period of time. Combine this with an increase in calories.

If you do decide to switch to A and B please consider the following

• The dead lift is one of the prime movements you should be training. with this in mind, move the dead lift to exercise number 3 in workout A. Stuff the rows, save that energy for a dead lift!
  • Workout B has too much shoulder work. Drop the incline or close grip bench. Heck, i would drop both at your level. Give those shoulders some time to recover.
  • Consider dropping the SLDL from Workout B. 3 sets of squats a week plus 2 (or 1) dead lift session is more than enough
bigD

Hi Sam,

I'm sure you've read by now that one of the tenets of starting strength is not to add any additional exercises... I tend to agree, build a strong platform first and then add the extras down the track. I think this is an important consideration if you have already started to stall.

Sookie is correct, check the calories, btw the nutrition is not sorted if you're not eating enough even if you're eating healthy! :)

Big Mick is also correct. Best to stick with a program for an extended period of time. Combine this with an increase in calories.

If you do decide to switch to A and B please consider the following

• The dead lift is one of the prime movements you should be training. with this in mind, move the dead lift to exercise number 3 in workout A. Stuff the rows, save that energy for a dead lift!
  • Workout B has too much shoulder work. Drop the incline or close grip bench. Heck, i would drop both at your level. Give those shoulders some time to recover.
  • Consider dropping the SLDL from Workout B. 3 sets of squats a week plus 2 (or 1) dead lift session is more than enough
bigD

Okay thanks for the help. To answer to that, firstly the exercises vary in order depending on whats available at the time. Sometimes the one rack in the gym will be taken so we'll move on to something different.

Okay I can definately think of changing that around a little. Might take some exercises out but I feel like my triceps don't get worked at all since I can only manage a few good dips and thats basically the only exercise that really hits the tri's? I know thats not the point of starting strength but It really bugs me that I never get a buzz when it comes to tris unless I do the close grip.

I can definately drop the SLDL. Its been giving me all sorts of trouble and I always feel completely drained afterwards.

I suppose i'll give it a try. Do you think that if I drop a few of these exercises and focus on less it will promote new growth even though i'm doing less? Also. For future reference. When is it time to stop with starting strength style programs and what would you go onto afterwards? More isolation style exercises with some compounds included?

I've been on a basic compound workout for about a month now and I just wanted to know what everyone else thinks of it? I've gathered a whole lot of info from all of the starting strength and beginner threads here and I set out a workout planner from that which combines the basic compound lifts as well as some others that were mentioned.

I started off with this as my basic lifts -

Squat 3 x 10
Bench press 3 x 8
Bent row 3 x 8
Military press 3 x 8
SLDL 3 x 8
BB curl 3 x 8

A-

Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Bent rows 3x10
Deadlift 3x10
Dips 3x5
Bb Curl 3x10

B-

Squat 3x10
Military 3x10
Incline 3x10
Close grip bench 3x10
SLDL 3x10

I've been on this for around a month and i'm making steady progress. I was thinking of sticking to a proper set out plan or changing it a little. I was wondering if this is too much or the wrong thing to be doing? Just looking for opinions guys. Thanks. Sam.

You need upper back work both days and more pulling work in general so I've swapped the bent rows to the non-DL day and added chins both days. Choose one of the B presses, lose the other. I don't think a DL variation on both days is bad but I've reduced the volume on A.

This is what I'd do...

Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Deadlift 3x5
Chins (Close and wide grip) 5x5
Dips 3x5
Bb Curl 3x10

B-

Squat 3x10
Bent rows 3x10
Military 3x10
Incline 3x10 or Close grip bench 3x10
SLDL 3x10

Okay thanks for the help. To answer to that, firstly the exercises vary in order depending on whats available at the time. Sometimes the one rack in the gym will be taken so we'll move on to something different.

Okay I can definately think of changing that around a little. Might take some exercises out but I feel like my triceps don't get worked at all since I can only manage a few good dips and thats basically the only exercise that really hits the tri's? I know thats not the point of starting strength but It really bugs me that I never get a buzz when it comes to tris unless I do the close grip.

I can definately drop the SLDL. Its been giving me all sorts of trouble and I always feel completely drained afterwards.

I suppose i'll give it a try. Do you think that if I drop a few of these exercises and focus on less it will promote new growth even though i'm doing less? Also. For future reference. When is it time to stop with starting strength style programs and what would you go onto afterwards? More isolation style exercises with some compounds included?

1.Try to do the exercises in their proper order, they're organised like that for emphasis and to give you better recovery.

2. Pull more than push as a general rule.

3. Why are SLDLs trouble?

4. You could lose an exercise each day and not need to worry about it.

5. Run this program for a very long time, at least until you have made decent gains in both size and strength from it. Then if you wish you can turn to splits but don't make the iso orientated. Always base programs around compounds and add a few isos as an afterthought. Compounds make big, isos are just masturbation.

You need upper back work both days and more pulling work in general so I've swapped the bent rows to the non-DL day and added chins both days. Choose one of the B presses, lose the other. I don't think a DL variation on both days is bad but I've reduced the volume on A.

This is what I'd do...

Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Deadlift 3x5
Dips 3x5
Bb Curl 3x10

B-

Squat 3x10
Bent rows 3x10
Military 3x10
Incline 3x10 or Close grip bench 3x10
SLDL 3x10

1.Try to do the exercises in their proper order, they're organised like that for emphasis and to give you better recovery.

2. Pull more than push as a general rule.

3. Why are SLDLs trouble?

4. You could lose an exercise each day and not need to worry about it.

5. Run this program for a very long time, at least until you have made decent gains in both size and strength from it. Then if you wish you can turn to splits but don't make the iso orientated. Always base programs around compounds and add a few isos as an afterthought. Compounds make big, isos are just masturbation.

Man that workout sounds perfect and makes a lot of sense. I think I like this so much i'll try it out tomorrow exactly as set out here. The extra chins will definately help since i'm extremely weak in that area and I feel like I need more lat work. Incline and close grip is tough. But I think i'll ditch the incline and stick with the close grip.

SLDL's are trouble mainly because well i'm a beginner and i'm yet to master the form. I find regular deadlifts much easier and feel better doing them. I suppose the squat will make up for the loss in hamstring work that comes with the SLDL.

Okay yeah well since starting this program i'll never go back to just regular iso. Workouts will always be based on compounds from now on. But a worry for me when starting this program was it didn't sound like it was the right thing for my goals. Ultimately my goals were to bulk on some weight and add strength which the plan does tremendously but I really wanted to build recognizable size on the chest, shoulders, lats and arms, and I thought the only way to to that was to target most of those muscles hard with different iso exercises (Just like most others when they start) My main muscle goal is chest. I really wanted to improve my strength within the chest but most of all, size it up.

Anyways, I'll definately give this program a try. Thanks alot mate :)

Some good advice there, it's really up to you mate.

I generally will not to squats and deads in the same workout now, as I can not give 100% effort in both and they are both important. So I will do three workouts a week.

Week one I will do squats Monday and Friday (plus some other exercises)and deads on Wednesday, the following week in will be deads on Monday and Friday and Squats on Wednesday, seems to help me recover better, and allows me to put 100% effort into the main exercise.

So it looks something like that:

Workout A
Squats 3 x 10 reps
Bench Press 3 x 8 reps
DB Flyers(not neccessary but I like the pain they cause usually light weight and higher reps 3 sets of 15-25 reps)
Bent over BB rows 3 x 8 reps
Military Press 2 x 8 reps and I add two isolation excercises to the end
Alternate DB Curls 3x 15-30 reps
Tricep push downs 3 x 10-30reps

Workout B
Leg extensions 3 x 15-50 reps
Leg Curl 3 x 15-50 reps
Dead Lift 3 x 8 reps
BB Curl 3 x 8 reps
Lat pulldown 3 x 8-10 reps
Seated row 3 x 8-10 reps
DB Tricep kick backs 3 x 10-30reps

I will do some ab work, chins, hyperextensions, and HIIT as well as normal cardio on my 'rest' days.

The weight sessions take me around 40 minutes to 1 hr to complete, 'rest' day training is about 10-20 minutes, might seem like a lot to some but it's only about 5-6hrs out of my week all up and I train at home so no time wasted travelling to gym and waiting for equipment.

I vary my reps as well and will at times do lower reps and more sets with heavy weights or will do higher reps with less weight. if I am pressed for time or extra sore I might drop some exercises some days as well to get extra rest (remember you grow while you rest not while you train as long as you are training hard and pushing yourself when you actually do train)

My goal is over all conditioning as well as gaining strength, I want to be strong and look the part, with lean muscle mass, not a power lifter body.:)

I generally will not to squats and deads in the same workout now, as I can not give 100% effort in both and they are both important. So I will do three workouts a week.

Week one I will do squats Monday and Friday (plus some other exercises)and deads on Wednesday, the following week in will be deads on Monday and Friday and Squats on Wednesday, seems to help me recover better, and allows me to put 100% effort into the main exercise.

Workout A
Squats 3 x 10 reps
Bench Press 3 x 8 reps
DB Flyers(not neccessary but I like the pain they cause usually light weight and higher reps 3 sets of 15-25 reps)

Workout B
Leg Curl 3 x 15-50 reps
Dead Lift 3 x 8 reps
BB Curl 3 x 8 reps
Seated row 3 x 8-10 reps

I will do some ab work, chins, hyperextensions, and HIIT as well as normal cardio on my 'rest' days.

The weight sessions take me around 40 minutes to 1 hr to complete, 'rest' day training is about 10-20 minutes, might seem like a lot to some but it's only about 5-6hrs out of my week all up and I train at home so no time wasted travelling to gym and waiting for equipment.

I vary my reps as well and will at times do lower reps and more sets with heavy weights or will do higher reps with less weight. if I am pressed for time or extra sore I might drop some exercises some days as well to get extra rest (remember you grow while you rest not while you train as long as you are training hard and pushing yourself when you actually do train)

My goal is over all conditioning as well as gaining strength, I want to be strong and look the part, with lean muscle mass, not a power lifter body.:)

This sounds like a solid program that i'd look into later on when i've really built up some strength. The addition of isolations I like, but obviously isn't for me right not until I build my core strength and maximise my beginner gains which I guess this program is perfect for.

I was thinking of doing some light work during rest days, e.g. maybe some pushups and some chest flys with a rubber cable (Similar to incline cable flys at gym? but no weight, just flex. Not sure what the name of the cable is by the way lol.) maybe some ab work or a little cardio, just some light exercise at home.

I think we can relate when it comes to goals. I don't want to look like a power lifter, But I do want to have strength and conditioning as well as well defined muscle shape (especially in the chest!) Thanks for your help :)

Workout A
Squats 3 x 10 reps
Bench Press 3 x 8 reps

Workout B
Leg Curl 3 x 15-50 reps
Dead Lift 3 x 8 reps
BB Curl 3 x 8 reps
Seated row 3 x 8-10 reps

Don't start with that PL body bullshit. Heavyweights are often fat but the lighter divisions can be shredded. As such both routines will deliver the same goal, although I personally consider yours a bit too bloated with fluff for a beginner. Squats and deads can be done on the same day when you're a rank beginner. You recover easily and just need the volume for both.

Powerlifter bodies...
26c1f_ORIG-sam_byrd_circa_2006.jpg

Kirk%2BKarwoski.jpg

image015.jpg

1275d1272635780-matt-kroc-goes-bodybuilding-2mdkwi9.jpg

Abs are just diet.

Well mate the above photos confirm thats not what I want to look like:p

Re the recovery, I still consider myself a beginner, and I definitely can not recover doing squats and dead lifts three times a week, but then again I am not 25 years old either. I also find after doing squats my efforts in the dead lift are somewhat half hearted, as I run low on energy.

I used to follow the basic beginners program for three months and found I had to cut back to training twice a week as I was not recovering, so I listened to my body and went with what I posted which seems to work for me.

As I can put more effort (lift heavier) when I train and I recover enough between workouts, the reps I use for different exercises will give an indication of the weight I use.

My workouts are very flexible but always intense, and sometimes too intense. where after last week I had to have some time off, as I was completely destroyed, just started back today on the weights:)

Well mate the above photos confirm thats not what I want to look like:p

Re the recovery, I still consider myself a beginner, and I definitely can not recover doing squats and dead lifts three times a week, but then again I am not 25 years old either. I also find after doing squats my efforts in the dead lift are somewhat half hearted, as I run low on energy.

I used to follow the basic beginners program for three months and found I had to cut back to training twice a week as I was not recovering, so I listened to my body and went with what I posted which seems to work for me.

As I can put more effort (lift heavier) when I train and I recover enough between workouts, the reps I use for different exercises will give an indication of the weight I use.

My workouts are very flexible but always intense, and sometimes too intense. where after last week I had to have some time off, as I was completely destroyed, just started back today on the weights:)

I did specifically reference "rank beginner" when I mentioned quick recovery, but yes age does play a part.

Another way you could run the program is to hit deads first then run squats afterwards at a lighter weight than workout B.

Sam, you have a severe case of fuckarounditis. Everyone here is too nice to tell you how it is.

Get a beginner program. Do EXACTLY everything it says and i'm not just talking about the exercises. The moment you consider improving or perfecting the program to suit yourself you have failed. Stop failing.