• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Finally, sensible article

With calories in V calories out you still need to be carefull because people WILL work out their cals and say if a big mac meal fits that - thats all they will eat for the day.

People dont need to know about calories in V calories out, or fade diets etc - they need to be taught and re-educated on how to eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle through diet and exercise.

To me calories in calories out is nearly as bad as all these fade diets.

All though there are some reasonable points in that article, I still found more wrong with it than there is right.

The thing that bugs me is these people are preaching to the masses who are easily lead to believe anything they read.

DO NOT READ THE COMMENTS, PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF

Except the calories in calories out formula is bunkum biology. Not all calories are equal. And exercise actually encourages you to eat more, as in the old phrase "working up an appetite". The American journalist Gary Taubes debunked the calorie-control + exercise hypothesis wonderfully in his "Why We Get Fat: And What To Do About It" book, couldn't recommend it enough. Allows me to maintain perfect weight with no calorie control and no exercise.

shoot me now......

Not as bad as some but still bad.

BMI is pretty useless at telling you anything.

1200 calories a day starvation diet when starting at 86kg

Meals of 300 cals plus snacks at 150, I would rather be fat.

No mention of macros.

Even though talking about calories still blames certain food groups for weight gain and talks about having to totally avoid some foods.

Recommends taxing junk food. Well piss off that's going to make my favorite diet foods like chocolate, ice cream and pizza more expensive.

But overall much better than most.

I do eat junk food every week, some weeks everyday i'll have some form on junk food...but I do believe just like with smokes junk food should have a tax put on it....I work for a health/weight loss company and this company is re-focusing themself on making it a lifestyle change and not just a fade diet in 2012 which is great news and a very small step in re-educating the nation on how to eat and live a healthy lifestyle.

Something needs to be done in Australia to stop this...but at the end of the day what brings in more money for everyone...a hamburger or an apple....

Difference is smoking does no good what so ever. Junk food is fine when part of a good diet.

It's excess calories that make people fat does not matter if the excess calories are coming from nuts, avocado, chicken breast, rice or chocolate and pizza. So you can't just blame the so called "dirty" foods.

They'll probably start taxing olive, coconut, macadamia oil, etc because it is high in fat. What a joke that would be

Difference is smoking does no good what so ever. Junk food is fine when part of a good diet.

It's excess calories that make people fat does not matter if the excess calories are coming from nuts, avocado, chicken breast, rice or chocolate and pizza. So you can't just blame the so called "dirty" foods.

Yes but how many ppl are getting fat off nuts and avocado? - yes we know this because we are somewhat educated on nutrition and how calories work but the everyday person doesnt know this...

At the end of the day junk food is making people fat in aus and I think a tax at least should be put on it....of course as I said a HUGE re-education program for the nation would be the best but think of the time and money that would take...really what needs to be done is a nutrition subject put into schools at an early age..that explains how calories work and explains the cons of eating junk and the pros of living a healthy lifestyle...will this ever happen though prob not..because like I said what brings in more money to this country a big mac or an apple....

I do understand where your coming from Bazza and I do agree with you...but think how the everyday person thinks for a sec....

That's pretty much what the article said Joel.

Pretty good read. Well, very good for mainstream media on diet/exercise actually.

The author was just telling her story of what worked for her re the 1200 cals thing. I didn't see it as recommending that to everyone. Yes, she did mention cutting out a fair bit of junk food & lets be honest here, you are going to pretty much have to eat nearly 100% "clean" if you are on 1200/day. (I'd personally up the cals & exercise a bit)

Last edited:
Our body see nutrients NOT food names... yet some people still comprehend that and the fundamentals behind body composition.

Last edited:
That's pretty much what the article said Joel.

Pretty good read. Well, very good for mainstream media on diet/exercise actually.

The author was just telling her story of what worked for her re the 1200 cals thing. I didn't see it as recommending that to everyone. Yes, she did mention cutting out a fair bit of junk food & lets be honest here, you are going to pretty much have to eat nearly 100% "clean" if you are on 1200/day. (I'd personally up the cals & exercise a bit)
Correct if you are 1200 calories a day, the whole foods will have to make up the whole calorie intake to ensure micronutrient sufficiency etc.

And correct if you are eating 1200 calories, there is something being done wrong.

I am all for limiting portion size/calories in fast food meals just due to the ease of consumption. Most people easily over eat with take away and that is why the get fat. Education on a national level is very hard though due differing opinions from so called experts and political and fiscal pressure from big business.

I am all for limiting portion size/calories in fast food meals just due to the ease of consumption. Most people easily over eat with take away and that is why the get fat. Education on a national level is very hard though due differing opinions from so called experts and political and fiscal pressure from big business.
Do you mean as say Macca's limiting the sizes of their meals? Like no meals over 500 calories?

I think this is where it becomes to restrictive and the person should take more responsibility for their own actions. The educated should not be made pay of the uneducated's actions and lack of responsibility etc.

Education is needed for that above fact and yes mate I totally agree that it is hard on a national level due to all the political shit that is involved.

The article is fine for the average joe, calories in vs calories out will make people loose weight if they are in a deficit. I think the message is distorted a little though,
MOST people want to loose FAT not just overall weight, so a calorie deficit can actually be a bad thing for some of us. I think education is on short supply in the health industry, it is very FAD driven. If you asked what most people REALLY desired they would say more muscle less fat (both male and female), to do this is much harder than just loosing overall weight, it takes a much more complicated way of doing things. But by any means it is doable, I am living proof of such a transformation taking place, but it is all about body composition for me, not just loosing overall weight.

A lot of the issue is two sided too. You provide easily available high calorie food that prays on the fat/salt delicious mouth watering taste and then reduce peoples time to make food. People now need two members of the family to work and people are overworked. We then stop people from cooking their meals and make them want to sit on their ass after a long day of work. Let this cycle over answer over and provide.easy mindless entertainment on the tv (ie reality shows) and no one feels like they want to make dinner. Lunch breaks are 30 minutes or people are asked to work through them. It is all a never ending cycle that leads to these issues. people know they need to exercise and eat less but they don't and are then provided with supposed quick fix ideas by the marketing genius media which don't work but as humans do we love to be lazy and try the quick fix anyways.

There is my long winded reasoning behind obesity.

Edit won't work but I have more:

People also don't like to work hard because we are inherently lazy (all of us). So weight training to most is hard work and they either half ass it (light weight, curls etc) or don't do it at all. Good example is in the gym today whilst I had free time I did what I thought was a lazy option. I did about 3 20 rep sets on the Leg press until I found one that felt like a real 10RM 20 repper. No I did not squat because I was feeling lazy. But around me I saw machine work, curls and 1 person benching . Not one pushed out anything hard or even came close to techniques failure and I thought I was being lazy for not squatting. In fact the only other person really working was an overweight girl who has been busting her ass lifting to lose weight and put all the guys in there to shame.

There is my long winded reasoning behind obesity.

Do you mean as say Macca's limiting the sizes of their meals? Like no meals over 500 calories?

Education is needed for that above fact and yes mate I totally agree that it is hard on a national level due to all the political shit that is involved.

I noticed the other day at a burger king/hungry jacks (what are they called these days?) that they had the kJ for everything up on the menu boards.. even for each size of chips/drink upsize..

they were mostly in their thousands tho :D but a good start nonetheless??
does McShit do this too?

edit* a basic whopper is 690cal.. whopper and small chips 930cal... 500 cal is a bit harsh? :p

problem with education is that many people DO NOT WANT to be educated.. they don't give a shit.
like that stupid traffic light system... sure it might be helpful for concerned parents that can't read, but are we all really that dumb?

Last edited: