• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Lat exercises are what give you that great “V” taper to your torso.

What are the best exercises for building lat width? how many sets and reps, etc.

Do genetics play a role in lat development?

What body parts will help make the lat pose appear even more pronounced?

I believe as with all muscles of that it not possible to change it's shape.

The most efficient lat exercise is the machine pullover

But over time (years) all forms of pulling will build back thickness, something you do not often see among the casual bodybuilder

I prefer lat pulldowns (wide palms away, and shoulder width palms facing), with less than bodyweight, can really focus on and isolate the lats that way.

When doing pull ups with extra weight, I just can't seem to target the lats specifically, as all other supporting muscles seem to do alot of the work.

Hulk,

I get the same feeling.

I find myself struggling to really focus on pulling with the lats when doing bodyweight chins.

I believe as with all muscles of that it not possible to change it's shape.

The most efficient lat exercise is the machine pullover

But over time (years) all forms of pulling will build back thickness, something you do not often see among the casual bodybuilder

Andy,
Would you say this is due to exercise selection or more so frequency?

Andy,
Would you say this is due to exercise selection or more so frequency?

That is an interesting question.

Exercise selection is such an important aspect if one wants to train or has trained over many years from their teens, to thirties to fifties and wants to continue training well into their eighties.

The frequency of training is individual in that people respond differently and that even changes over the years for that individual.

a good lat spread does look very impressive if one is born with wide shoulders and narrow hips, they do have the upper hand.

Doing a form of chin-up done to fatigue quickly followed by a set of machine pullovers has served me well.

And you really feel a lot of pain in the lats, especially where it inserts under the shoulder.

Lat pulldown. Wide grip. Sets to top of chest and to base of traps. No jerking.
And chinups with various grips.

When I started and didn't have a clue my lats grew extremely well.
So clueless kunce can grow too.

Workout Of The Week - What Is The Most Effective Way To Build Your Lats?
The most effective way to build the lats muscle is to place your hand at a shoulder width position prior to performing the back exercise of your choice. Why is that important? Because by doing so, you fully engage the two most critical points of that muscle, its insertion and origin. Mmm, so why is that important? Again, because by doing so , this allows for a full range of motion of that muscle, maximising its involvement, whilst at the same time minimising the involvement of secondary muscles.

In plain English please! If you opt for a wide grip, then you throw more focus onto the rhomboid muscle , which in turn takes away from maximising full muscle activation of the muscle you're intending to train. No harm in that, but it's good to know why you're doing what you're doing.

Last edited: