• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

single best (accessory) exercise for forearm mass?

pistachio

So I'm doing up my training program at the moment, and looking at my physique post-cut and looking at what needs improvement.

One thing that I haven't trained (directly) in years is forearms. Obviously they get hit hard with deads, SLDL, chins, rows, pretty much everything. And before cutting they looked like they had a bit of size, but now after I've lost a lot of weight, they are looking a bit smaller than I'd like.

I treat forearms like calves, in the sense that I don't think they'll respond much anyway, so don't bother training them directly. However both forearms and calves are shit, so I am going to incorporate some direct work for an entire year. If nothing happns, then I won't bother anymore.

So, single best exercise to work the forearms directly?

I'm thinking reverse wrist curls with heavy barbell? Or maybe just reverse curls? Or a super set of the two?

Man i think your biggest problem is already giving up on them before you have begun.

It might sound corny but have some faith dude. My il training partner was so concerned with getting big bi's, always saying there bit growin, fuck it, they are small blah blah blah. Be positive with your training.

I can't give you any advice on forearm work because mine seem to grow from not doing anything.

That's why I'm going to hit them hard all year, take measurements etc. If nothing happens, then I'll know they are not responding to what I'm doing.

I can't give you any advice on forearm work because mine seem to grow from not doing anything.

Bastard :p

What about your traps? Are you one of those guys who has to stop training traps otherwise they get too big? If so, I hate you

What about your traps? Are you one of those guys who has to stop training traps otherwise they get too big? If so, I hate you

Started doing shrugs lately and getting awesome response from them :p

I think your probabley already getting enough forearm stimulation from doing deadlifts. You could try weighted holds or forearm plate extensions for 15-20 reps.

That's the thing, with my genetics, deadlifts are not enough stimulation. Sure, my forearms get sore, but they don't grow. I'm pretty sure they are about the same size as they were a year ago. Actually smaller, now that I've lost weight.

<------- Does not train Traps, Calves (well only once a month) and Forearms...

Best way to train forearms is at home.........

You probably already do these, but pull ups, strict military press. And reverse bb curls. Wrist curls suck

Just do 1-2 direct accessory movements for each 'weak point' and train for myofib and scaro hypertrophy. Nothing outrageous bro, just all the basic methods :)

That's me. Completely overpower everything else. But I'd love your shoulder width and pectoral development. Bastard!

You probably already do these, but pull ups, strict military press. And reverse bb curls. Wrist curls suck

^^^ This

Cheers,
Mike

these don't work?
home-made-wrist-roller.jpg

Brooks Kubik recommends thick bar training for forearms.

Read 'Dinosaur training' plenty of forearm work in that. :)

Can anyone WITHOUT superior genetics for traps/calves/forearms suggest anything?

no great genetics here..back when i used to care about them i did the following and it seemed to work really well..

high reps for all:
wrist curls
reverse wrist curls
grips strengtheners

dont do this a day before something like deads unless you dont mind using straps..

Hey Pistachio: I do wrist/finger curls, I don't exactly know what they are called but I can describe how I do them;
I use my barbell and load about 70kg on it, than I stand as if I'm going to do a standing bicep curl (arms fully extended down) but I extend (roll) the bar down my fingers as far as I can, than roll it back up and curl my wrist up as far as I can and hold for a second, than repeat about 8-12 times, for 4 sets. This has improved my grip and started to add size to my forearms.

For calves I found that the single best way for me to hit them hard was to do them separate from each other. I hold a 25kg plate in my hand, hanging by my side and use a block of wood to do single standing calf raises (I balance by holding onto one of my squat stands). You probably need to hold more weight than me, my body is heavy and contributes to the weight, just tie a few plates together with a thick rope or something.
I only do one set with rest pauses, eg; I do as many as I can to failure (usually about 15-17) pausing at the top of the movement to squeeze the muscle for roughly 2 seconds, than I take 10 breaths and go again to failure (usually about 5-7) and rest pause 10 breaths and go again to failure. I find this method has actually given me results, I do it twice a week, the seated calf raises and standing calf raises on the machines wasn't working well enough for me, just giving me insane burn feel. I put it down to training them individually as opposed to together. It's worth a try mate, hope I helped.
Good luck .

One thing that I haven't trained (directly) in years is forearms.

If the biggest hole in your training is 'forearms' then maybe you need to take a look at your goals.

I'm thinking reverse wrist curls with heavy barbell? Or maybe just reverse curls? Or a super set of the two?

This sounds like curls in the squat rack to me. It has been proven that curling the squat rack shrinks your dick and makes you less attractive to both men and woman.