• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SWH

I was just staring at my old dumbbell set the other day and it led me onto thinking about my old home workouts. was wondering if it would be okay to do some extra workouts at home like tuesdays and thursdays, ontop of my compound gym workouts every monday wednesday and friday?

I was thinking like, maybe just do some bodyweight workouts, different push up variations, pull ups, dips, chins just because I suck at bodyweight and wanted to put in some extra work in my spare time.

Would this be beneficial or would it make me become too fatigued?

Hmmmm, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I can't see the trouble with it as long as you work it in to your program and don't over train one muscle group etc.
You've reminded me of something I read some where in the big ol internet:

If someone had your family hostage at gun point and said you had to increase your squat by 100 pounds in 3 months, would you only squat once or twice a week? No you would squat like a pshyco every fuuurken day!......LOL, I liked that. The moral to this is something akin to training everyday wont hurt you.......but common sense goes along way to keeping you recovered.
Just don't over do it is what I think, if you feel you could add it in go for it but keep it reasonable.

You shouldnt really need to be doing anymore workouts other then what your doing, you'd find yourself overtraining i think.

Gidday mate....

Just my opinion... But you should definitely not train these on your days off... Use rest days for relaxation and recovery... AND EATING LIKING A MACHINE!!!

I would class pull ups, dips and chins as compound movements... These should be part of your mon - wed - fri workouts... Although depends on your program...

I was just staring at my old dumbbell set the other day and it led me onto thinking about my old home workouts. was wondering if it would be okay to do some extra workouts at home like tuesdays and thursdays, ontop of my compound gym workouts every monday wednesday and friday?

I was thinking like, maybe just do some bodyweight workouts, different push up variations, pull ups, dips, chins just because I suck at bodyweight and wanted to put in some extra work in my spare time.

Would this be beneficial or would it make me become too fatigued?

Hmmmm, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I can't see the trouble with it as long as you work it in to your program and don't over train one muscle group etc.
You've reminded me of something I read some where in the big ol internet:

If someone had your family hostage at gun point and said you had to increase your squat by 100 pounds in 3 months, would you only squat once or twice a week? No you would squat like a pshyco every fuuurken day!......LOL, I liked that. The moral to this is something akin to training everyday wont hurt you.......but common sense goes along way to keeping you recovered.
Just don't over do it is what I think, if you feel you could add it in go for it but keep it reasonable.

True. the main reason I wanted to do this was to improve my bodyweight exercises by doing them more often than once or twice a week. I might do a light workout maybe just one of those days but i'll see how things go thanks for the feedback :)

You shouldnt really need to be doing anymore workouts other then what your doing, you'd find yourself overtraining i think.

I guess although It will only be light bodyweight exercises just to increase bodyweight workouts

Gidday mate....

Just my opinion... But you should definitely not train these on your days off... Use rest days for relaxation and recovery... AND EATING LIKING A MACHINE!!!

I would class pull ups, dips and chins as compound movements... These should be part of your mon - wed - fri workouts... Although depends on your program...

Yeah. Well they are already a part of my workouts but I was going to do a few in between rest days just to make sure i'm definately improving. I'm not really happy with my progress on pullups and chinups in particular so I thought it would be a good opportunity considering the gym I go to is always full of people waiting to use the pull up bars

KISS.......

If you are doing the typical beginners strength program, just leave it at that.

:)

Okay fair enough. Maybe i'm just doing something wrong with my bodyweight exercises then. i've been doing declines for almost a month now and I'm still struggling on like 1 pull up. Maybe i'm not declining slow enough?

The moral of that story you quote is the guy ended up with a 100+ pound increase in his squats after 3 months, and then collapsed with exhaustion and injuries and was not able to properly train again for 6 months due to a blown ACL and bad knees. :D

I agree with your final summation - common sense on recovery AND training days.

The moral of that story you quote is the guy ended up with a 100+ pound increase in his squats after 3 months, and then collapsed with exhaustion and injuries and was not able to properly train again for 6 months due to a blown ACL and bad knees. :D

LOL, very true candy....but it sounds so tough don't it :p