• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cardio routine?

walt

DuffProteinMan
Best form of Cardio in your opinion for Fat loss? Just once a week

I can't do sprints as i don't have any parks near me, no prowler ect.

Thinking of doing some sort of complex - dumbbell or barbell then just 20mins on the bike after?

Ideas for complex, rather than just doing 1000 dumbbell snatches?

There is no best cardio for fat loss. Cardio is not required for fat loss.

If you want to do cardio just do one you enjoy but again you don't have to do cardio to lose fat.

Type of cardio has no effect on fat lose/oxidation over a 24 hour period on equal calorie use during a session.

Fat loss is purely a result of calorie balance (deficit).

If you have little time and need maximum calorie uses for that time period, do HIT.

If you are not 'fit' and have more time, do LI.

If you do HIT and it takes away from performance with your resistance training, do LI.

Fasted cardio is NO better than cardio at anytime. With more positive results shown for cardio done in a fed state.

Don't over complicate it, do what works in best with your routine and time schedule allowance.

:)

2000 dumbbell snatches?

seriously though, just pick something you like and get at it. i'd go crazy doing pump classes or sprints in a field or whatever. i used to go crazy following a black line up and down the pool. these days i really enjoy spending hour after hour on my bike (particularly racing). fitness comes from enjoyment.

What Max and Bazza said.

I wouldn't bother doing cardio. At your age, your calorie requirement is still so high that you can get away without doing any cardio.

I think the only reason anyone needs to do cardio to lose fat is if they are at a point in their life where their calorie requirement has dropped so much that to diet WITHOUT cardio would require say 1500 calories, or something ridiculous.

Eg, I am currently losing weight (perhaps too much) on 2700 calories without worrying about cardio. 2700 calories is plenty (ie I'm not hungry), so I don't bother with the cardio.

If I was on say 2000 calories and struggilng to lose weight, but I couldn't eat any less food cos I was starving, then I'd keep the calories constant, but start doing some cardio.

That's my understanding anyway. It is always a trade off between calories and cardio. So if you want to eat more, do more cardio.

Or if you want to improve cardio fitness, but I am of the view that gym training builds a sufficient level of fitness to not have to worry about it.

I can't do sprints as i don't have any parks near me, no prowler ect.

WTF? There are no roads or anything around you? You don't need any special area to sprint.

Check the bb complex thread for all the bb complexes you could ever need.

Or try the KB swing challenges if you have one. I can guarantee that you will be destroyed after any of them if you push hard.

But agree with what has been said. Do whatever you like & will continue to do. I value my fitness as well as strength/physique so I like my cardio.

When I was doing Keto, my cardio was just uphill slow walking on the treadmill keeping the heart rate in the fatburning zone, I used a wrist Heart Rate monitor for this.

There is no fat burning zone. It doesn't matter what your heart rate is, for cardio it's total calories burnt that matter.

the reason is, im on a calorie deficit, 2500, and i gained 0.4kg this week. If the same thing happens this week i will add some cardio.

btw jzpow sprinting on road makes my ankles kill so thats out.

thanks for replies guys

That little weight gain could and is most likely water. If you sodium and carbohydrate intake has fluctuated over the few days before weigh in will effect the scales :)

That little weight gain could and is most likely water. If you sodium and carbohydrate intake has fluctuated over the few days before weigh in will effect the scales :)

yeah i thought it could be something like that. today i gained 1kg in 3 days, lol can't be right, cheap scales.

20 rep squats will have you panting like an Ethiopian sprinter if my experience is anything to go by....

LMD
You'd be better off eating less, than running more, that's if your goal is to increase strength.

What to do.....

High reps with lighter weight are for fat burning. Make sure you do them at a fast pace.

Less rest between sets increases metabolism.

Do cardio on an empty stomach cause all you use is fat at 60% max HR (cause that is the fat burning zone).

Make sure you eat 6-8 times a day, it will keep your metabolism going.

Take Hydroxycut, L-carnitine and CLA. See above.

Don't have carbs after lunch time. You won't use any fat for energy if you have carbs after lunch. God help you if you have them at dinner, you will get fat!

Keep your fat intake low. Duh fat = fat.

Have casein before bed, you don't want your muscles breaking down while you sleep. Plus it will keep your metabolism going.

Train 2 times a day and eat protein and salad. That is how you get shredded!

Wait, what did I just say....

Last edited: