• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps.

LAandE

Hey,

Pullups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps.
taken from Mark Rippetoe's Practical Programming Novice Program, can someone please explain to me whether this means I should only add weight to pullups when i can do more than 15 in a single set or when I can do more than 15 across three sets (ie. 3x5).

I tried googling and can't find the answer. And I did 7, 7, 4 bodyweight pullups in my last gym session and i'm unsure when i should start adding weight. (I plateaued at about 9, 9, 9 bodyweight pullups earlier this year before injuring my shoulder from falling over, hence the uncertainty.)

I take that as meaning add weight when you can do 3x5. Makes sense considering the rest of his programming.

Once you can preform the necessary/goal repetitions with the current resistance/weight, increase the weight and start again. All of that is a part of progression :)

If you want to follow rips program i am sure I have read rip say chins are done for higher reps than the 3 sets of 5 that the rest of the program is. He means 15 reps in a single set then add weight.

But it's a assistance exercise just do what you want and make sure you are progressing.

If you want to follow rips program i am sure I have read rip say chins are done for higher reps than the 3 sets of 5 that the rest of the program is. He means 15 reps in a single set then add weight.

But it's a assistance exercise just do what you want and make sure you are progressing.

i think i read that somewhere once (during the 15mins i spent searching the net for the answer)

i'll probably only add weight when i stall on my pullups/chinups, or get bored

all good :)