• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Close grip bench press for triceps

Rambodian

No I'm not cambodian
I was thinking of adding these to my next routine that starts in Jan. I currently do skull crushers but wanted to try the close grips.
The problem is that I don't really feel my triceps working that hard when i do them unless I bring the bar down to my upper chest/neck area as opposed to the lower rib area recommended. I know to keep elbows in etc, but is this how they are supposed to feel? as they are more of a compound movement than the skull crusher or maybe I wasn't going heavy enough, I was just stuffing around after a workout today and tried a few lighter ones.

Heavy CGs or Floor Presses will build triceps no worries. Just stop trying to "feel it".

Find me a big bencher with small tris. They don't exist.

I'm personally not convinced it really uses the triceps more then wide/normal grip bench.

Whenever I fail a wide grip bench its always the lockout/top half of the lift, which is the triceps. In that case I should bench less with a close grip correct? Well I always bench equal and often more with the close grip. So i'm not sure it does really use the triceps more.

Heavy CGs or Floor Presses will build triceps no worries. Just stop trying to "feel it".

Find me a big bencher with small tris. They don't exist.

True, so I prob went to light and I'm searching for that 'feel' that skull crushers give because they isolate the tri's more than close grips I'd guess.
thanks for the reply freako, you confirmed what i was thinking.

depends on who you are.

ez bar presses for tri's absolutely smash my tris and have defs helped them dev

have you ever tried cross bench dips?

Like this but you can use benches instead of chairs. You can add resistance by putting weight plates on your lap.

[YOUTUBE]jvaFV64V7y8[/YOUTUBE]

Like this but you can use benches instead of chairs. You can add resistance by putting weight plates on your lap.

Nope, never tried those, I'm thinking I might just build a dip station and add those instead on CGs, still thinking about it.

I'm personally not convinced it really uses the triceps more then wide/normal grip bench.

Whenever I fail a wide grip bench its always the lockout/top half of the lift, which is the triceps. In that case I should bench less with a close grip correct? Well I always bench equal and often more with the close grip. So i'm not sure it does really use the triceps more.

Its almost a biomechanical certainty that you're using more tris with a CG bench. What may be happening is that you're just not activating the tris effectively in WG. Try replicating the movement that the tris are going through. In a WG bench your tris extend more away from the boy rather than towards your feet so use tri movements that replicate that. Tate Presses, WG pin or board presses. Focus on spreading the hands apart.

Don't recommend. Shoulder killers.

Rams....

There's a post on here with a you tube clip of Mark rippetoe teaching skull crushers...

Can't find it to save my life... Been hunting on youtube several times now to try and find it... Fingers crossed someone else out there can point out where it is....

Eitherway... He calls it the 4th power lift....

Traditional skull crushers go to the forehead... However this is only a partial movement for the tricep.... The full movement requires the bar to be dropped behind your head for full activation of all of the tricep heads....

The way Mark does it is a real gnarly compound movement... I tried it and noticed immediate soreness in areas of my tricep that I had not felt before.... I reckon you could achieve a real heavy weight on this excecise...

I stopped using it cause I felt like it was adversly affecting my bench and shoulder press. (Doing Starting strength 3x5)

If your going the starting strength route... Mark uses this excercise on the basis that you can progressively load it like the rest of his excercises....

Will see if I can find the footage....

Its almost a biomechanical certainty that you're using more tris with a CG bench. What may be happening is that you're just not activating the tris effectively in WG. Try replicating the movement that the tris are going through. In a WG bench your tris extend more away from the boy rather than towards your feet so use tri movements that replicate that. Tate Presses, WG pin or board presses. Focus on spreading the hands apart.

Don't recommend. Shoulder killers.
Shoulder killers.
Wacchu talking about?
Never killed my shoulders.

Shoulder killers.
Wacchu talking about?
Never killed my shoulders.

Gave mine lots of grief and I've heard the same from lots of other people to. Its a dangerous position for your shoulder and even riskier when you start loading it.

Rams....

There's a post on here with a you tube clip of Mark rippetoe teaching skull crushers...

Can't find it to save my life... Been hunting on youtube several times now to try and find it... Fingers crossed someone else out there can point out where it is....

Traditional skull crushers go to the forehead... However this is only a partial movement for the tricep.... The full movement requires the bar to be dropped behind your head for full activation of all of the tricep heads....

The way Mark does it is a real gnarly compound movement... I tried it and noticed immediate soreness in areas of my tricep that I had not felt before.... I reckon you could achieve a real heavy weight on this excecise...

I stopped using it cause I felt like it was adversly affecting my bench and shoulder press. (Doing Starting strength 3x5)

If your going the starting strength route... Mark uses this excercise on the basis that you can progressively load it like the rest of his excercises....

Nazzy, that sounds the goods, hope someone can find a link to this

Rams....

u wont find it under skull crusher, coz its a lying tricep extension lol

thanks for that video, i always did extensions to my forehead thinking not to move my elbows.

Ill include shoulder and elbow extension now

Gave mine lots of grief and I've heard the same from lots of other people to. Its a dangerous position for your shoulder and even riskier when you start loading it.
Ok, but I can only comment on my experience which is no shoulder problems with this exercise.

also i couldnt find it on youtube, but heres a link
Starting Strength

Thankyou Callan, I was looking all over youtube for that vid, didn't even think of looking at starting strength web site, so thanks again mate.

@Nazzy: Thanks for bringing this exercise to my attention mate, I'm gonna add this movement in instead of close grips.