• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squatting soreness

D1cko

Extra Large Member
G'day all
I am fairly new to squatting, just completed my 3rd squat workout in 2 weeks and am still getting massive soreness in hamstrings the few days after, to the point of hardly being able to sit on the loo!!!
I started at 4x 6 reps at 60kgs, then 70kg and just recently 80kg. It felt fairly easy on the day and I wanted to be able to reach 100kg by Christmas. Is this too ambitious? And am I doing the right amount of reps/sets ratio? Could technique be an issue?

Now, having said all this, maybe I just need to harden up?!!....lol

Just take one teaspoon of cement after each workout!

Gawd I love that feeling of DOMS!

Keep going it gets easier, If its still a problem in a few weeks back off on either intensity (load) or volume (sets & reps)

10 weeks ago I started squatting properly for the first time ever...

Started with an empty bar and squat 3 times per week (arse to the grass) mon wed fri using 3 x 5...

Every workout I add 2.5kg to the bar... Im currently squatting 3 x 5 at 102.5 kg...

I would suggest a similar approach through progressive loading...

Also ham string overload could suggest that your stance is too wide which would load up your abductors and hamstrings...

As a suggestion... Go back to 60kgs... And add 2.5kgs to the bar every workout... You don't notice the weight increase... And you progressively get stronger....

Google Strong lifts 5x5... or starting strength 3x5.... For more info...

I am fairly new to squatting, just completed my 3rd squat workout in 2 weeks and am still getting massive soreness in hamstrings the few days after, to the point of hardly being able to sit on the loo!!!
I started at 4x 6 reps at 60kgs, then 70kg and just recently 80kg. It felt fairly easy on the day and I wanted to be able to reach 100kg by Christmas. Is this too ambitious? And am I doing the right amount of reps/sets ratio? Could technique be an issue?

Now, having said all this, maybe I just need to harden up?!!....lol

No, no need to make a conscious decision to harden up as time would take care of that department. Now re the soreness. What you have is not soreness, what you have is more than that and we call that inflammation. It's due to micro-trauma/micro tears and your body's way of dealing with it. As you progress in the sport, you will find that this type of "soreness" will only ever occur again if you take some time off training and hit it too hard too soon when you come back into it.

We've all been through it where it takes weeks instead of days to be able to walk properly again due to severe deep muscle inflammation. Drink plenty of water, take vitamin C, and a hot water bath with salt would not be a bad idea either.

To reduce the inflammation, I'd suggest grabbing a broom stick and performing 2x100; okay try just the 100 if you're in too much of a bother. But pumping fresh nutrient dense blood in there would help flush the dead/waste materials from within. Eat some high alkaline foods such as cucumbers and dried figs and reduce your sugar and white flour, plus other acidic forming foods intake for the time being

Welcome to the iron sport.

Fadi.

Thanks everyone, Great to have people who've been there before helping out!!!

Keep going it gets easier, If its still a problem in a few weeks back off on either intensity (load) or volume (sets & reps)

x2

One of the members went to work and coudn't sit down the first week without difficulty.
They thought he was gay as he kept walking as if he had a cork up his a$$.. I couldnt sotp laughing when he told me about it..

Last edited: