• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

1RM vs Daily Training

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
I am slightly confused about the 1RM max lift and day to day training, and I am looking for some advise.

I have recently added 18kg to my 1RM Squat (127.8kg to 145.8kg) as well as 8.8 kg to my Dead Lift (153.4kg to 162.2kg), I am very happy with these results, but just wondering if I should be lifting those weights every training sessions, or just once a week.

I perform Dead Lifts and Squats 2 - 3 times per week, I am training for strength as well as muscle gain (hopefully they will go hand in hand)

So what I am wondering is what weights and rep range should I be looking at for my squat and dead lift sessions given my above max lifts to date??

Please be specific, ie what weights, reps and sets I should be doing in order to keep increasing the weight, but also avoid injury and fatigue.

Hope this makes sense:confused:

Say 5x5 reps with 80% 1rm or what ever you can handle if thats too light go more if not dont.
Add weight each workout in small increments or what you feel you can accomplish.

Ok thanks, that's the info I am after, so I go 5x5 with around 80% of my 1RM, which should be fine, then add weight as required and after a few weeks go for another 1RM session looking to increase my 1RM, then repeat??

Just want to make sure I have this straight in my head for my next squat session:)

no need for 1rms just keep adding weight if you can 1rm will go up but no need to test for you just yet.

Texas Method is a decent, well rounded program that suits your needs and training experience. As a raw lifter, you can pretty much just get your squat up and your deadlift will follow

look into programs like PPP and 5/3/1 for increasing maxes.

Personally i use PPP for ease of reference and simplicity.

Work is set out for you, your new max should come in week 11.

choose Assistance movements to suit and you are set. My journal has the last few weeks of one PPP cycle and the first 6 weeks of my current cycle. Weights are different but it shows you the basic structure.

Thanks, I think I have it sorted now.

The advise I got here pretty much put me on track again:)