• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

not going to failure in first sets

fqqs

for ex. 4 sets 6 reps, same weight

so if i go to failure or very close to failure on 1 set i wont be able to do effectively 2, 3 and 4 set. so is it ok to go to failure only on the last set, and on the first sets stop when i got all planned reps or when my rep timing really slows donw and im struggling to get next rep? and then go all out on 4th set

if you get all desired reps increase weight next session, muscular failure does not have to be achieved.

The aim is to lift weights and get stronger, so if you can complete all sets to desired reps or above for example you do 3 x 8 reps, it's time to add weight, realistically you should only be able to complete the whole set the one time before adding weight or reps.

The aim is to do more work each time you train, ie extra rep or extra weight from last workout.

Well thats how I run my workouts anyway and it seems to do the trick:)

Big Mick - just curious on your signature as I just noticed your weights are in decimals. WTF?

The aim is to do more work each time you train, ie extra rep or extra weight from last workout.

Well thats how I run my workouts anyway and it seems to do the trick:)

Don't forget you can also add more sets too in case you are having issues progressing the other two ways (I like to use them first.

Really good for stuff when you can't add more weight but the reps are just too hard to get.

for ex. 4 sets 6 reps, same weight

so if i go to failure or very close to failure on 1 set i wont be able to do effectively 2, 3 and 4 set. so is it ok to go to failure only on the last set, and on the first sets stop when i got all planned reps or when my rep timing really slows donw and im struggling to get next rep? and then go all out on 4th set

Are you doing this with all your exercises?

u dont need to reach muscular failure to grow muscles each training session.Going to failure EVERY session will really smash your CNS which will effect you negatively in the long run.

just add small increments each session OR decrease your rest period to
increase the intensity.

As mentioned by ANDY are u doing this for all your exercises?

Big Mick - just curious on your signature as I just noticed your weights are in decimals. WTF?

All my weights are 'old school weights' I call then 'Dinosaur Weights', so the are in pounds, but for convenience sake I convert them to kg to post up here (have thought about upgrading to new oly weight plates, but these are just as heavy and I only train at home for myself, not comps, so waste of cash)

My weights are like 2 1/2lb (1.12kg) 5lb (2.2kg) etc etc all the way up to 50lb plates:rolleyes:

Hope that explains it:)

Here you go 'Dinosaur Weights':):

100_6344.jpg

100_6351.jpg

man samson weights.. they used to have it at the local PCYC i trained at over 15 years ago... memories!! the clanging of metal on metal as u put the plates together!!

@fqqs: The idea is to progressively overload the muscle to induce muscle adaptation (hypertrophy/strength etc).
So if you are struggling to get the last rep on your first set, that's fine, so on your second set you will try to get as many reps as you can and so on until your last set.

eg; Squats,
Set 1: 100kg x 8
Set 2: 100kg x 7
Set 3: 100kg x 5
Set 4: 100kg x 2
So to progressively overload the muscle there is plenty of ways to do it, using the above example I could continue to try to add a single rep to each Set after the first to increase the workload (which is a way of progressive overload) each workout until I get to the goal: 4 Sets of 8 reps. Than I could add weight and start again.
This is just an example, I chose squats and 100kg as it was just off the top of my head, use a weight that you can work with and progressively add the workload to either by adding reps (as the example above) or by adding more weight to each work out.

EDIT: Also, if you are struggling to get more out of the weight your lifting you can always have a longer break between sets etc. There is plenty of ways to go about it. Just remember that when you do a program that states 3x8 etc, it is only a guide, this guide is what you are aiming for, but practical progressive overload is the goal to more/stronger muscle, you have to go up in weight to get bigger/stronger. So use these numbers as guides and when you reach the desired number of sets/reps go up in weight.

Last edited:
i can always finish my reps and sets. Some i will struggle towards the end of each set.

I would rather have a few KG light, Propper technique and finish the required sets.

Once i find its getting a little easy i will add 3kg. And repeast for the next 2 weeks or so.

i can always finish my reps and sets. Some i will struggle towards the end of each set.

I would rather have a few KG light, Propper technique and finish the required sets.

Once i find its getting a little easy i will add 3kg. And repeast for the next 2 weeks or so.

thats pretty much similar to what i do, my first excercise is 4x6, then the rest are 4 or 3x8 and there are a few 3x15. once i can do one weight for all the sets and reps i up it by 5 or 2.5kg depending on the excercise.