• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Legs Question!

chad

Legs Question!?????????????????????

So i just trained legs, properly, for the first time last night....

I have 2 questions,

1) Is it normal to have incredible pain through my whole legs and hardly be able to walk?! LOL they're soooo sore today :(

2) Since I JUST started training legs, will they make fast gains in size in the first month or so like my upper body did when I first started training?

Last edited:
To begin with, the subject heading should have a question mark, oppose to your exclamation mark that denotes a level of excitement above and beyond what other users of this forum will share.

To answer your question, your legs will hate you for the first few weeks, but should begin to adapt over time. However, be careful about them growing too fast. Some people’s legs grow at a freakish rate. You don’t want them so huge they make your upper body look small. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Thanks for the swift response......

Definitely wont be letting my legs get too big - but don't want to look like a chicken so to speak as my upper body is getting fairly big these days.

P.S Hope the new title is more appealing to you & others :)

As mentioned, your legs will feel like death for the first month or so.

Like anything, initial gains, progress and training adaptation will happen at a fairly good rate. So make the most of it because long term progress and gains are much harder to come by even if the quality of training and nutrition is higher than at the initial stages.

If you can gain half of what you did in the previous year (in terms of LBM and strength) you are doing well. Again that is true even if your training and nutritional quality is better.

Thanks Max.. Looks like I'll just have to put up with the pain for a while!

Like Ben Franklin said - no pain, no gain!

Lol but I can't believe how much of a struggle it is to just get in/ out of my car!!! even sitting on a chair hurts so I have to sit down really slow! not looking forward to the next month!

A number of little things may help 'ease' the pain.

Adequate hydration and ensuring electrolyte balance is positive, performing a warm down (brief walk and stretching) post exercise, that protein intake sufficient (minimum 2g/kg bodyweight) and if necessary message' (even doing it yourself would be adequate).

The hardest part about getting back into squats after taking a few weeks off is the pain you'll have to endure until your legs get used to it. The first time, you probably won't be able to walk for a week but after that, I find the next couple of weeks, the pain is only around for 1-2 days.

Best thing to reduce this problem is to train consistently... then you won't have to worry about it.

Chad. Here is brief summary from my recent experience upping the weight on single leg Stiff leg deadlifts.
2sets of 30reps of SLDL @24KG KB. No pain.
Then using same kettlebell..
1set of 10 single leg SLDLs per leg. 10 days crippling DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)
1set of 12 single leg SLDLs per leg. 3 days major pain. Rehab leg worse than good leg.
2sets of 12 single leg SLDLs oer leg. Minor soreness the next day.
Leg DOMS always seem worse than upper body soreness.

(above example chosen from rehab where I had no muscle memory in one leg but some in the other.)

To begin with, the subject heading should have a question mark, oppose to your exclamation mark that denotes a level of excitement above and beyond what other users of this forum will share.

To answer your question, your legs will hate you for the first few weeks, but should begin to adapt over time. However, be careful about them growing too fast. Some people’s legs grow at a freakish rate. You don’t want them so huge they make your upper body look small.

Lies! You want disproportionately large legs :)

Like all things if they grow to quickly you will notice stretch marks.

You will get used to it after a few weeks and then the pain wont be that bad. I squat 3 times a week and I only noticed a dull pain when sitting down and getting up most days.

Thanks for the swift response......

Definitely wont be letting my legs get too big - but don't want to look like a chicken so to speak as my upper body is getting fairly big these days.

P.S Hope the new title is more appealing to you & others :)

Fail. Your legs will never get too big, plus you just said your upper body is getting fairly big.. Contradiction.

So i just trained legs, properly, for the first time last night....

I have 2 questions,

1) Is it normal to have incredible pain through my whole legs and hardly be able to walk?! LOL they're soooo sore today :(

2) Since I JUST started training legs, will they make fast gains in size in the first month or so like my upper body did when I first started training?

A couple of things stand out...

What does trained legs properly mean?

Also you mention that this is the first time you trained legs properly.... Sounds like you went to hard for someone just starting legs....

As a beginner it is not ideal to push your legs to the point where you can't walk the following day....

You would benefit more from training 2 to 3 times a week starting from lighter weights... And progressively loading extra weight in small increments every workout...

Did you use squats in your workout????

Fail. Your legs will never get too big, plus you just said your upper body is getting fairly big.. Contradiction.

As someone else said, I wouldn't want my legs to get so big that they make my upper body looks smaller... yea i reckon my upper body is getting pretty big so I wanna get my legs a little bigger so my body doesn't look out of proportion..

I don't personally know if they can get too big so I'll just train them until I'm happy with their size, was just going on what the other dude said, assuming he has experience with his legs getting too big?!

A couple of things stand out...

What does trained legs properly mean?

Also you mention that this is the first time you trained legs properly.... Sounds like you went to hard for someone just starting legs....

As a beginner it is not ideal to push your legs to the point where you can't walk the following day....

You would benefit more from training 2 to 3 times a week starting from lighter weights... And progressively loading extra weight in small increments every workout...

Did you use squats in your workout????

Well in the past i've only trained my legs using the machines and doing light weight/ high reps. this time i did squats as heavy as i could for 4x10 followed by Leg press at my max and then weighted lunges and leg extensions.. also did some donkey calf raises.

and yeah from now on i'll ease into it. should have known better lol, just got the thought that i wanted bigger legs in my head an went hard :eek:

As someone else said, I wouldn't want my legs to get so big that they make my upper body looks smaller... yea i reckon my upper body is getting pretty big so I wanna get my legs a little bigger so my body doesn't look out of proportion..

I don't personally know if they can get too big so I'll just train them until I'm happy with their size, was just going on what the other dude said, assuming he has experience with his legs getting too big?!
I've been doing this shit for many years and have probably seen only 1 or 2 guys who's legs are out of proportion. If you are worried about your legs getting too big I can tell you it won't happen. Now HTFU and train those legs and get that thinking out of your head.