• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Starting Strength Questions..

jsncrs

Hey all.

Have just recently started the Starting Strength program. Just wondering how long I should do this program for before entering the "Cut" stage?
And what sort of program should I do after Starting Strength?

Also, I'm really struggling with the power cleans. Is there an exercise I can do as a substitute?

Hey all.

Have just recently started the Starting Strength program. Just wondering how long I should do this program for before entering the "Cut" stage?

Also, I'm really struggling with the power cleans. Is there an exercise I can do as a substitute?

There is no cutting phase. If you bothered to read the program, you would know when to stop. Once you're past the novice stage, a good program is the advanced novice program to milk out any progression left. Otherwise bill star 5X5 would be a good place to move onto or something similar.

IF you have trouble doing the powercleans, try one of the other novice programs :

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

You will make progress on either of the programs.

seconding the practical programming version of SS if you don't like cleans

If you did the original version of starting strength, could you do assistance work on the days of?
Say you trained Mon/Wed/Fri with SS;
On Tues/Thurs could you add some pull-ups and bicep/tricep work, calf/core work etc?
Or would this ultimately stress your body to much to make decent gains on SS?

EDIT: Or would it be beter to add a couple of sets of assistance work after the 3 main lifts?
I'm thinking of starting SS in the new year to kick start 2012, so was interested when I seen this thread.

Last edited:
I think the general idea with SS is that as you continue to make increments in the weight your workouts will get to the stage where you WON'T want to do any assistance work afterwards..

Anyone is welcome to correct me if i'm wrong.. :)

If you did the original version of starting strength, could you do assistance work on the days of?
Say you trained Mon/Wed/Fri with SS;
On Tues/Thurs could you add some pull-ups and bicep/tricep work, calf/core work etc?
Or would this ultimately stress your body to much to make decent gains on SS?
Once the weights become very challenging I feel it may hinder progression. There is a reason SS is 3 days p/week.

Once the weights become very challenging I feel it may hinder progression. There is a reason SS is 3 days p/week.

I have read Rip comment somewhere that it is ok to add in excercises if you want to....

Like 3x 8 bicep and a 3x 8 tricep on the 3rd workout day that is followed by 2 days rest....

However Rip also indicates in his book... That the majority of people who fail his program do so becuase they do not follow the program...

From my experience with 3x5 SS adding tricep excercises is a big no no for me... They get minced 3 times a week doing press and bench press... However I do find that I can work out biceps once a week with no adverse effects as yet....

Hey all.

This is just my opinion... Happy to hear others thoughts...

If you want to cut on SS... The only thing you need to change is your diet...

Need to run a calorie deficit...And lift as heavy as you can for as long as you can.... You will loose some strength through this process but will retain more muscle mass...

The are others here who can probably suggest meal plans to assist your cut stage...

In the meanwhile though You need to be eating in excess during your strength training...

Yes, this was how I was thinking as well, if I do decide to go ahead in the new year with SS, I will stick to the basic program as I wouldn't want to neglect the main lifts because of fatigued muscles from other lifts.
Thanks for the response guys, confirmed what I was thinking already.

Yes, this was how I was thinking as well, if I do decide to go ahead in the new year with SS, I will stick to the basic program as I wouldn't want to neglect the main lifts because of fatigued muscles from other lifts.
Thanks for the response guys, confirmed what I was thinking already.

Rams... No reason why you can't add excercises around the main lifts... Provided they do not impact on the main lifts....

Naturally the main lifts are where your going to get all of your gains from.... The rest really don't matter...

If your like me and enjoying swinging iron... I hang around on my third day and do a couple of extra excercises for the love of it...

Also I do assisted pull ups every work out... Because I have a goal to be able to do 3x5 at body weight... Will probably take 12months... But im determined to get there...

Meanwhile Im constantly reassessing my performance.... And will adjust as required to ensure that my squat, bench and press movements are continually trending upwards...

Also I bought some fractional plates from the Gymfactory...

Jumping 2.5kg in the press is starting to become a bit of a struggle... Thinking I might use 1.5kg increases for a while... Then 1kg increases...

The HULK posts on here... If you mention Ausbb they will give you a 10% discount...

I'm thinking of the KISS principle, keep it simple stupid LOL, that's why I will likely follow the basics for at least a couple months first I think. Than I might add some assistance work if i feel it will help the main lifts.

Cool mate,

The stuff I add is not assistance work.... Rather it just fills a hole...

Previously before doing Starting strength I was doing 15 to 20 sets in a 1.5 hour workout...

Now doing 9 sets in a work out that takes 45 minutes....

So I always finish ready to do so much more.... Slowly getting better at leaving the gym...

Nazzy you are not making any sense, first you correctly say that rip states SS fails because people don't do the program correctly. Then go on to talk about adding sets and cutting on SS.

First SS is not ment to be a cut program it won't work properly that way. Second don't add extra sets in. If you feel that you haven't done enough after the work sets it's because you are not working hard enough.

SS is what it is, it is for beginners to put on a heap of muscle and strength in shortest time possible. Don't try and change it into a cut program to get the ripped abz and the guns.

If you are going to do SS do it as intended and milk the noob gains then look at cutting after.

I have read Rip comment somewhere that it is ok to add in excercises if you want to....

Like 3x 8 bicep and a 3x 8 tricep on the 3rd workout day that is followed by 2 days rest....

However Rip also indicates in his book... That the majority of people who fail his program do so because they do not follow the program...

Gidday Bazzo...

As stated above... Both are Rips opinions...

Eitherway... Within the SS programs an option does exist to add in excercises should you choose too...

All depends on what each individual is seeking to do I guess...

In my opinion I see no problem with adding in excercises on the provision that it does not hold back your main lifts which is the crux of SS...

Here is the link to an article outlining SS with optional excercises... Once again I note that while Rip says you can do optional excercises... they are completely unneccessary...

Each to there own...

The Workouts | Starting Strength

The Exercises / Lifts

Here’s a list of the exercises associated for every workout along with their appropriate Sets and Repetitions. These exercises are placed in order, so always follow them accordingly and never do one before the other just because you feel like it or else you will be ruining the whole point of this routine. The numbers next to the exercises are Sets X Reps. If you don’t know any of these exercises or how to execute them properly, look into getting a copy of the book for your own sake.
Workout A

• Squats: 3 x 5
  • Bench Press: 3 x 5
  • Deadlift: 1 x 5
  • Dips (weighted): 2 x 5-8
Workout B

• Squats: 3 x 5
  • Press: 3 x 5
  • Power Clean: 3 x 5
  • Chin-ups: 3 x 8
Every Workout / Assistance Work / OPTIONAL

• Weighted Sit-ups at a 45 degree angle on decline bench: 3 x 5
  • Weighted Hyper-extensions: 3 x 8
Do not add, remove or substitute ANY of these exercises or else you will be wasting your time. These are key exercises to increasing strength in any individual in the shortest amount of time. No other exercises out there come close to the efficacy of the ones listed above. Adding more exercises to this list is considered over-training. Removing any of these exercises just because you don’t like them means you have already handicapped yourself for gaining the most amount of strength. Please do not mess with this routine or else you are seriously wasting your time. You might as well quit now if you don’t believe in Mark Rippetoe.
As you can see, there is no “bicep curls” or any direct arm work involved because your arms will be indirectly trained over time. I have seen my arms personally grow at their peak just by following the Starting Strength routine and I haven’t done any direct bicep work. Why? Sometimes indirect work to a muscle is the best way to train it as opposed to targeting it directly. A lot of people don’t seem to understand that these days and they choose to ignore it. Just give this program a month of work and you will see your arms get sore without you doing a bicep curl.
Lastly, the weighted sit-ups and hyper-extensions are optional. If it gets in the way of progressing on the five core lifts (squats, deads, power cleans, shoulder presses, bench presses) then stop doing them.
What You Need to Know

Proper warm-ups are always required for proper strength training. You should do a minimum of 3 warm-up sets before you start your heavy sets. If you are unsure how to warm up, take a look at my warming up page.
Never increase (or “ramp”) your working/heavy sets. If you start doing 150 lbs of squats, then you do it 3 times for the remainder of your exercise workout (this is called “sets across”). Do not increase in weight once you have started your heavy set. Leave the increase for the next time you do squats. This goes for any exercise: proper technique is always more important than the amount of weight on the bar.
Somewhat Acceptable Substitutions

Honestly, you should stick to the above exercises, but you can substitute a few of the exercises with the following options. You should know that you’re much better off doing power cleans than barbell rows. As coach Rippetoe has said many times, “My opinion about barbell rows is as follows: f*** barbell rows. Really. F*** them. Stop wasting time worrying about barbell rows and get your deadlift up to 500. By then you’ll have your own opinion and you won’t have to worry about mine.”
  • Replacing Power Cleans: you can do Pendlay Rows (3 x 5) and Chin-ups ( 2 x 8 ) as a replacement.
  • Replacing Dips: Decline Dumbbell Bench press with your hands’ palms facing each other.
Additions to the Workouts

I’m quite confident to say that these additions will never come handy on this program, but should the need arise, you can add the following exercises to your weekly routine on Fridays only (or the last training day of the week). If you are just starting out new on this program, do not do these until 3 weeks into the routine. Trust me, these are really unnecessary and only here for the few people with exceptions.
  • Parallel Bar Dips or Inline Skullcrushers (2 x 8-12)
  • Barbell / Dumbell / EZ-Curls: (2 x 8-12)

Last edited:
Go ask rip on his forum him what he thinks of cutting on SS as well as adding exercises in and see what response you get from him. Lol.

I skimmed through the link and it wasn't even written by rip anyway??

Rip is very good at training beginners and has trained plenty. If you are going to do the program do it as written if you think know how to do the program better than he does maybe go tell him.

Seriously its a beginner program, keep it simple, follow the program and let it do it's job.