• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best exercises for a full shoulder workout?

SWH

I was just wondering what exercises everybody does for their shoulders.

What is your favorite exercise for the 3 different parts of the deltoid (Rear, Middle, Front) and what has worked best for you?

I think I need to change up my shoulder exercises a little because i'm not getting the best results I could be getting, currently, a shoulder day consists of, Shoulder press, Lateral raises and Barbell Delt Rows. I'm not really doing any military press or compound lifts like that at the moment because i'm a beginner and i'm 16 and i feel like if i try any of these kinds of lifts i'll screw up the form and stunt my growth. So any tips?

If I didn't know correct form for a lift I thought I might hurt myself and i've been told to lay off the deadlifts, squats, military press and cleans until I grow a little more just so i don't cause any damage while i'm still growing

And how would you hurt yourself doing those exercises that would impact your growth?

Also do you ride a bike?

If I didn't know correct form for a lift I thought I might hurt myself and i've been told to lay off the deadlifts, squats, military press and cleans until I grow a little more just so i don't cause any damage while i'm still growing
Un-true and totally incorrect. There is no research suggesting growth is 'stunted' etc.

If you do any exercise with incorrect form, of course you will hurt yourself but what does that have to do with stunting growth.

brb falling off my bike as a kid and hurting myself and stunting my growth.

Sam learn the compount lifts ASAP. Its good you are worried about your form, but dont just write them becuase of it. The compound lifts are the best lifts for growing your muscles.

Lol well I learn from feedback like this so thanks :p But ive been told by people at the gym and out of the gym that its possible. But comparing it to falling off a bike does make it sound pretty dumb ..

I'll look more into doing some more of the larger compound exercises. But I was looking for some good shoulder excercises lol. Can you help me out?

Sam learn the compount lifts ASAP. Its good you are worried about your form, but dont just write them becuase of it. The compound lifts are the best lifts for growing your muscles.

Yeah i think i'll look into it. When using compound lifts, is it a good idea to use them as well as isolation excercises? For example, squatting as well as leg press and quad curls?

The exercises your doing for your shoulders look ok to me, I only ever do military press with side and rear laterals and sometimes some upright rows. How do you know your not getting the results you should be?

The exercises your doing for your shoulders look ok to me, I only ever do military press with side and rear laterals and sometimes some upright rows. How do you know your not getting the results you should be?

Because I haven't noticed alot of strength gain since starting with this particular muscle compared to others as well as I usually don't feel very sore the next day in my delts so I thought this might be because my form with these excercises is wrong or I should just be looking at changing my routine around a little

You have much more of a chance falling off your bike fracturing a bone and damaging your growth plate than ever causing your growth to stunt due to weights.

Chances of a bike accident causing growth stunt in that particular bone about 0.00001%.

In fact a car accident is more dangerous due to high speed at impact.

Yeah i think i'll look into it. When using compound lifts, is it a good idea to use them as well as isolation excercises? For example, squatting as well as leg press and quad curls?

I think you should read Fadi or PTCs beginner threads which are stickied somewhere and pick one of those workouts. Its hard to give advice like this without looking at the whole picture(your entire workout, diet, physical attributes etc).

But to answer your example, if your squatting you should have no need for leg presses and quad curls.

Lol well I learn from feedback like this so thanks :p But ive been told by people at the gym and out of the gym that its possible. But comparing it to falling off a bike does make it sound pretty dumb ..
Like most things you hear inside and outside the gym from 'people', they are typically myths, un-educated guesses, old wives tales and taken from mis-interpreted information which in its self is flawed.

FYI, shoulder exercises just simply acquire Military press and upright row. But more importantly why are you not doing a beginners program?

My suggestion to you is to have a talk with TrentZor on here who runs a gym in Sydney and see if he can help you out for a few sessions to learn your lifts and do proper programming to get the best results. Other options are Shire Speed and Strength.

Since I am not from Sydney I couldn't tell you about any other good gyms or trainers that may be closer to your area.

Good luck.

Arnie started training at 15, didn't stunt his growth...
young-arnold-schwarzenegger-picture.jpg

Arnold-Schwarzenegger-Bodybuilding-Photos.jpg

Sam Heihei, I wish i was in your shoes, starting as a teen rather than age 41....don't muck around mate...get stuck into it!!

BTW, it's very interesting looking at those pics of Arnie...i haven't seen one of him that young before....interesting to look at the smaller version of him, still had great biceps (cause he loved ze poomp!).

Does anyone know how long he'd been training when that first pic was taken? Just wondering whether he was naturally well built before he started weights or was he a skinny runt?

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have been doing a beginners workout but since I didn't know about this site until a few weeks ago I found my plan from another site. I've tweaked it a little and it seems to work but I think its time to start adding in the compound lifts, I've been searching up on form and i'll make a start next week on all of my compounds. Also i'll have a look into those beginner workouts on this site. Thanks :)

you train your shoulders in pretty much every exercise you do. So rotator cuff injuries are a common problem for a lot of weight lifters. I do 3 sets of over head dumbell press per week and thats it for my direct shoulder work.

I've decided to trial a major compound workout for a month, since i'm only going to the gym on a 3 day split i think the results would come much better doing these compound movements. Just not sure with some of the beginner workouts because i feel like if i do the same workout every second day i'll be too fatigued? but i'll give it a try anyway, thanks

Just not sure with some of the beginner workouts because i feel like if i do the same workout every second day i'll be too fatigued? but i'll give it a try anyway, thanks

No, doing the same exercises every second day you will be fine.