• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

To Pre-fatigue or not?

MaxBrenner

Effects of exercise order on upper-body muscle activation and exercise performance. Effects of exercise order on upper-body ... [J Strength Cond Res. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Gentil P, Oliveira E, de Araújo Rocha Júnior V, do Carmo J, Bottaro M.
Source
College of Physical Education, Catholic University of Brasilia, Brasilia, Brazil.

Abstract

With the purpose of manipulating training stimuli, several techniques have been employed to resistance training. Two of the most popular techniques are the pre-exhaustion (PRE) and priority system (PS). PRE involves exercising the same muscle or muscle group to the point of muscular failure using a single-joint exercise immediately before a multi-joint exercise (e.g., peck-deck followed by chest press). On the other hand, it is often recommended that the complex exercises should be performed first in a training session (i.e., chest press before peck-deck), a technique known as PS.

The purpose of the present study was to compare upper-body muscle activation, total repetitions (TR), and total work (TW) during PRE and PS. Thirteen men (age 25.08 +/- 2.58 years) with recreational weight-training experience performed 1 set of PRE and 1 set of PS in a balanced crossover design. The exercises were performed at the load obtained in a 10 repetition maximum (10RM) test. Therefore, chest press and peck-deck were performed with the same load during PRE and PS. Electromyography (EMG) was recorded from the triceps brachii (TB), anterior deltoids, and pectoralis major during both exercises.

According to the results, TW and TR were not significantly different (p > 0.05) between PRE and PS. Likewise, during the peck-deck exercise, no significant (p > 0.05) EMG change was observed between PRE and PS order. However, TB activity was significantly (p < 0.05) higher when chest press was performed after the peck-deck exercise (PRE). Our findings suggest that performing pre-exhaustion exercise is no more effective in increasing the activation of the prefatigued muscles during the multi-joint exercise. Also, independent of the exercise order (PRE vs. PS), TW is similar when performing exercises for the same muscle group.

In summary, if the coach wants to maximize the athlete performance in 1 specific resistance exercise, this exercise should be placed at the beginning of the training session.

Effect of pre-exhaustion exercise on lower-extremity muscle activation during a leg press exercise. Effect of pre-exhaustion exercise on low... [J Strength Cond Res. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI
Augustsson J, Thomeé R, Hörnstedt P, Lindblom J, Karlsson J, Grimby G.
Source
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, Göteborg University, Göteborg, Sweden 41345. jesper.augustsson@rehab.gu.se

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of pre-exhaustion exercise on lower-extremity muscle activation during a leg press exercise. Pre-exhaustion exercise, a technique frequently used by weight trainers, involves combining a single-joint exercise immediately followed by a related multijoint exercise (e.g., a knee extension exercise followed by a leg press exercise).

Seventeen healthy male subjects performed 1 set of a leg press exercise with and without pre-exhaustion exercise, which consisted of 1 set of a knee extension exercise. Both exercises were performed at a load of 10 repetitions maximum (10 RM).

Electromyography (EMG) was recorded from the rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, and gluteus maximus muscles simultaneously during the leg press exercise. The number of repetitions of the leg press exercise performed by subjects with and without pre-exhaustion exercise was also documented.

The activation of the rectus femoris and the vastus lateralis muscles during the leg press exercise was significantly less when subjects were pre-exhausted (p < 0.05). No significant EMG change was observed for the gluteus maximus muscle. When in a pre-exhausted state, subjects performed significantly (p < 0.001) less repetitions of the leg press exercise.

Our findings do not support the popular belief of weight trainers that performing pre-exhaustion exercise is more effective in order to enhance muscle activity compared with regular weight training. Conversely, pre-exhaustion exercise may have disadvantageous effects on performance, such as decreased muscle activity and reduction in strength, during multijoint exercise.

That was a shit study poorly designed and shows they don't understand most pre exhaustion techniques. They should have chosen the bench press. Fatigued the tris and tested activation levels of the delt and pecs. Not saying I endorse pre exhaustion but at least they could do a better study in relation to its use in weight training.

I've never understood this concept....you pre-exhaust a muscle...wTF for? What's the point of doing leg extensions before squats? I've never read any logical explanation, only unsubstantiated comments "you gotta pre-exhaust the muscle bro"

Say your shoulders over.power your pecs in the initial movement of the bench press. You would then fatigue the deltoid before benching to hit your pecs more.

Personally I think it makes more sense to do some flyes after the bench and not stimulate the shoulders any more.

I agree with you on all counts dave.

The studies certainly lacked methodically and was very limited and to be honest the findings should not be seen as 'true'.

The individuals techniques need to be questioned as well.

I agree with you on all counts dave.

The studies certainly lacked methodically and was very limited and to be honest the findings should not be seen as 'true'.

The individuals techniques need to be questioned as well.

I find it funny we need a study to say that when your muscles are fatigued with a similar exercise that they do not activate as much in the next exercise................ HOLY SHIT FUCK SAY IT IS NOT SO!

I find it funny we need a study to say that when your muscles are fatigued with a similar exercise that they do not activate as much in the next exercise................ HOLY SHIT FUCK SAY IT IS NOT SO!

Yehhhhh, It's getting that bad. I saw one study looking at the effects of colour on strength levels. Did you know Red makes you weak?

My squat suit, Dead socks, wrist & knee wraps are all red :eek:

**Edit** Found it, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21406218

"This research, in conjunction with recent work by Elliot and Aarts (in press) [19] clearly establishes a link between red and basic motor output, and highlights the importance of attending to the functional, as well as aesthetic, value of color."

Last edited:
Yeah so much for common sense and basic understanding of training/muscle activation fundamentals.

Yehhhhh, It's getting that bad. I saw one study looking at the effects of colour on strength levels. Did you know Red makes you weak?

My squat suit, Dead socks, wrist & knee wraps are all red :eek:

**Edit** Found it, Viewing red prior to a strength test inhibits ... [Neurosci Lett. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

"This research, in conjunction with recent work by Elliot and Aarts (in press) [19] clearly establishes a link between red and basic motor output, and highlights the importance of attending to the functional, as well as aesthetic, value of color."
Gezz, I don't understand why some studies are even bothered with or why they feel the need to do a research paper on that type of shit.

Nice find :D

Personally i dont know much about pre exhaustion besides that ive never done it and i dont think i ever will.

Gezz, I don't understand why some studies are even bothered with or why they feel the need to do a research paper on that type of shit.

Nice find :D

I thought it was because someone was studying and had to think of something random that no one else has thought of before. Which in lot of cases would be because it was a dumb idea :p