• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

fqqs

my routine states that I should do 4 sets 10 reps of weighted pullups.

for now my max is (only bodyweight): 9 reps, 7 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps

so should I wait and try to add reps each workout till I get all 10, 10, 10, 10 and then start to adding weight and get sth like 10, 9, 8, 7 and next time 10,10,10,8 etc. and up weight again when i reach 10,10,10,10

is that correct way of progression?

and 2nd question: if I do pullups as my 3rd back exercise (after dl and row) is that normal that my pullups progress a lot slower /sometimes even stall (while I progress on deadlift/rows) ?

Well, if your workout states: 4 sets 10 reps of weighted pullups
If you really want to follow the workout strictly, you should be doing at least 4 sets of 10 reps at bodyweight first, before adding weight.
If you try to add weight before you can complete the reps, your form will probably be bad and you may get injured.

If you think you are recovering enough between sessions- I'd look at doing a pyramid set of pullups on a rest day. I find with bodyweight pullups and dips the extra sets on off days helps.

thanks, and my 2nd question:

say my routine says 4x8 reps, same weight

for example on 1st workout:

1 set: 7 reps x 100kg

2 set: 7 reps x 100kg

3 set: 6 reps x 100kg

4 set: 5 reps x 100kg

2nd workout:

1 set: 8 reps x 100kg

2 set: 8 reps x 100kg

3 set: 7 reps x 100kg

4 set: 6 reps x 100kg

3rd workout:

1 set: 8 reps x 100kg

2 set: 8 reps x 100kg

3 set: 8 reps x 100kg

4 set: 8 reps x 100kg

4rd workout (add weight)

1 set: 8 reps x 102kg

2 set: 7 reps x 102kg

3 set: 6 reps x 102kg

4 set: 6 reps x 102kg

etc etc

briefly: add weight when I complete all 8,8,8,8 reps? and even though I can do 2 more reps on 1st set, and 1 more rep on 2nd I do only planned reps, correct

Kind of depends on your goals and why you chose this program. Personally I'm not afraid to go ro 3 sets of 12, then up the weight to what I can lift for 3 sets of 8 and start again. None of this is carved in stone. Don't overthink it . Just lift more.

my routine states that I should do 4 sets 10 reps of weighted pullups.

for now my max is (only bodyweight): 9 reps, 7 reps, 5 reps, 5 reps

so should I wait and try to add reps each workout till I get all 10, 10, 10, 10 and then start to adding weight and get sth like 10, 9, 8, 7 and next time 10,10,10,8 etc. and up weight again when i reach 10,10,10,10

is that correct way of progression?

and 2nd question: if I do pullups as my 3rd back exercise (after dl and row) is that normal that my pullups progress a lot slower /sometimes even stall (while I progress on deadlift/rows) ?

Two different ways you could work your routine here. Firstly you could do as you say above and wait till you can get 10/10/10/10 then add weight and start over again until you get 10/10/10/10 again, and so on and so on. Another option is once you can get to say 10/9/8/7, you then add weight on your next workout and your reps per set may be something like 8/7/6/5 okay, then work with this weight up until you can hit 10 reps for just the first set only so something like this 10/9/8/7. Once at this stage you add weight again so your next workout your reps would drop down again to say 8/7/6/5 for instance, you then basically repeat this process. These are two options here. I will tell you right now that option 2 is more intense and you will see results quicker cause your continuously putting more strain on your body with heavier weight. Underlying genetics are of course without a doubt going to dictate too a large degree how your results pan out.

PS - I would shuffle the order around. Do DL, pullups then rows last.

I would generally do that as well considering DL is a large compound movement. However it is always good to switch exercises around and completely reverse the entire training routine as it shocks the body and allows for smaller muscles to build up extra strength.

Or reduce weight.
Reverse pyramid style.

For instance.

40x10
30x10
20x10
BWxAMRAP