• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Take your studies and shove them up your ass

Junk food is junk food because

It contains sfa micronutrients

It contains no phytochemicals.. Ones that everyday are shown to be beneficial to us in many ways.

Junk foods make it harder for people who dont track food well to hit proper macros because they are simply low in protein, high in processed fats, sucrose.

From a optimal health point of view its better to fill those macros with as much beneficial food as possible... But for other goals you dont necessarily have to.

Also depending on the persons diet goals i.e PMSF junk food is out of the question.

An example, A whole meatlovrs pizza from dominos covers saras macros for the day... Is this the most beneficial way to consume those calories? .. You decide.

Thats my 2c

The Art of Dieting The BodyEvolution Report: The Art of Dieting

Diet. What do you think when you hear that word? Not a lot of good things I bet.

Now most people tend to go to extremes when they start a diet. Common sense and moderation are thrown out the window. It is like the word ‘diet’ makes our brain’s function, well not function!

I used to be one of these OCD people who would ‘eat clean’ when on a diet and trying to drop fat or pig out and just eat anything in sight when trying to put on weight.

What is the end result, well we either find it too hard, boring and restrictive so we can’t stick to it for long enough to drop the fat we want or we get lazy, unstructured and loose so we put on too much fat.

The key to any ‘diet’ success is understanding the basics behind it, calories and energy balance. To put it simply, a calorie deficit = weight loss, a calorie surplus = weight gain.

Body composition is determined by (apart from training) consuming the appropriate calorie intake and meeting minimum macronutirent requirements. Meal type, food type, meal frequency and meal timing play NO PART in body composition.

So depending on what your goal is you need to know what the appropriate calorie intake is. That will determine how much you can eat. Once the calorie requirements have been calculated, the next important part is ensuring you are consuming adequate macronutirents (protein, fat and carbohydrate) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) to support your goals, training requirements, hormonal and metabolic functions.

Ok so all the technical stuff has been worked out, now this is where the fun starts. I don’t like the terms ‘clean’ or ‘dirty’ but that is what is generally taken to the extreme. The clean-freaks only eat chicken and broccoli, boring and the dirty pigs eat like, well a pig!

There is another term – If It Fits Your Macro’s (IIFYM) that only requires common sense to help make ‘dieting’ easy and what I try to educate my clients about. IIFYM is just a more fancy name and interpretation of the moderation concept. Keep this in mind, it is not the food name that makes you lean or big, it is your calorie intake which determines that.

IIFYM basically means any food type can be consumed as long as your calories and macronutrients allows for it. Sounds perfect right, well it is almost. A little common sense is all that is required and then it is perfect.

I’ll explain a little further. Ensuring that you are functioning at your optimum levels (hormonally and metabolically), you need to be consuming adequate amounts of the essential nutrients – protein, fat, water, vitamins and minerals. A carbohydrate is not an essential nutrient nor is fibre, but I do look at fibre as being beneficial. A certain level of fibre should be consumed each day. So if you have ‘X’ amount of calories to consume and by consuming your essential macronuritents (and micronutrients) will make up a portion of those ‘X’ calories. This is where the common sense comes into play.

Choosing foods that allow for you to meet your nutrient needs are of personal choice. With that said, common sense should come into play with choosing the foods as your first goal is to ensure you are consuming your required essential nutrients (protein, fat, vitamins and minerals). For the most part all the typical ‘nutritious’ foods (meat, dairy, eggs, vegetables, fruit and nuts) would be the best option as they make meeting your nutritional requirements very easy. But again, the food name doesn’t mean much just simply eat whatever helps you meet your requirements. Nothing should off limits, but common sense should be used.

Ok so we have consumed foods that have helped us meet our minimum requirements of our essential nutrients (and fibre) but we still have some calories left over to consume. What do we do? Well that is easy, eat whatever you want to help you fill in the calorie requirements! Yes you read right, eat whatever you like. Anyone for chocolate?

As a reminder and as previously mentioned, your body composition is determined by consuming the appropriate calorie intake and adequate macronutirents. Hormonal function and metabolic function is controlled by calorie intake, adequate micro and macronutrient intake. The food name does not determine body composition.

Knowing what we do now after reading all the previous information, what benefit would having an equal calorie meal of say, some steak and vegetables instead of ice-cream if all the requirements etc have been accounted for? None. The Ice-cream is not going to make you anymore fat or lean than the steak and vegetables will. You just might have a little more sanity after having the Ice-Cream!

In a nutshell, dieting should and can be flexible. The amount of flexibility the diet has is determined by the amount of common sense you use. If you use common sense and understand what determines your body composition results, dietary wise you will never feel restricted, bored or not have some form of basic structure. Nothing will be extreme and everything will be in moderation, so the ‘diet’ will not feel like a ‘diet’ and success will be had.

What about long term effects of diets with high sugar and salt?? The effects of eating lots of pizza/maccas etc. that shit isn't good for you even if its within your calorie limit.

For example, I don't think icecream is bad for you, its dairy (unless its bubblegum flavored or something like that), but mm's, thats just sugar and chemicals lol.

Dumb question but, what if all your sugar/callories come from just one type of sugar, sucrose or fructose, that do anything?

IIFYM is not about living off ice cream & M&M's it's saying that in the grand scheme of body composition changes you don't HAVE to get your last 50g of carbs for the day from sweet potatoes, you can have the ice cream if you want.

I just asked about sodium consumption in the canning 6 meals a day thread and Max Brenner answered it.

What about long term effects of diets with high sugar and salt?? The effects of eating lots of pizza/maccas etc. that shit isn't good for you even if its within your calorie limit.

For example, I don't think icecream is bad for you, its dairy (unless its bubblegum flavored or something like that), but mm's, thats just sugar and chemicals lol.

Dumb question but, what if all your sugar/callories come from just one type of sugar, sucrose or fructose, that do anything?
I think some people are missing the point and talking about this at the 2 extreme ends of the spectrum. It is not about doing things in extremes, moderation and common sense is the key to it all. 'Clean' freaks will look at IIFYMer's at ONLY eating pizza and cakes etc which is FAR from the truth. For the most part (myself included) every person who follows IIFYM uses common sense when it comes to their food choices and still does consume their fair share of 'clean foods'. Just because we say we have eaten a PIZZA doesn't mean that was the only thing we ate (or was it :D ).

Carbohydrates = Sugar. No problem as carbohydrate types are used as GLUCOSE. The only problem will be, if getting all your carbohydrates (or any macronutrien for that matter) from 1 particular source, chances of being mirconutrient deficient will be increased.

Sodium/salt not a problem unless you have an extremely low potassium intake and you have a history of heart/blood pressure issues, or a combination of a low activity level, are in a calorie surplus and are micronutrient deficient.

For information on Fructose I'd suggest you read these because as with most things, there are so many other variables that must be taken into account. Typically with a balance and if physical activity is current, a lot of the 'issues' are non issues unless take to the extreme. -

A retrospective of the fructose alarmism debate. | Alan Aragon's Blog

The bitter truth about fructose alarmism. | Alan Aragon's Blog

Straight talk about high-fructose corn syrup: what it is and what it ain't. | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

The Effect of Two Energy-Restricted Diets, a Low-Fructose Diet vs. a Moderate Natural Fructose Diet – Research Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Hormonal Responses to a Fast-Food Meal Compared with Nutritionally Comparable Meals of Different Composition – Research Review | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

As Lyle sums up - Given caloric control, the body’s response to a given set of nutrients, with the exception of blood lipids would appear to be more determined by the total caloric and macro content of that meal more than the source of the food.
In terms of the hormonal response, clean vs. unclean just doesn’t matter, it’s all about calories and macros.
Which is what I’ve been saying all along.

IIFYM is not about living off ice cream & M&M's it's saying that in the grand scheme of body composition changes you don't HAVE to get your last 50g of carbs for the day from sweet potatoes, you can have the ice cream if you want.

I just asked about sodium consumption in the canning 6 meals a day thread and Max Brenner answered it.

From that thread -

Sodium intake is another myth.

Depending on your sodium intake your body will regulate the amount of water it retains after about 2 days. So for 2 days you may be 'holding' a little more water if you have gone from a 'low' intake and increased it. But if that increased is maintained it will be readjusted and in 2 days time your 'watery' look is gone back to normal.

So yes I pay no attention to my sodium intake and I actually make a point of adding it to meals.

As long as your potassium intake is sufficient and there is no underlying or current issues, sodium intake is nothing to worry about.

People who are training and dieting especially need to ensure adequate sodium is being consumed for energy production. The whole water retention thing can also be applied to this situation also.

Lyle and Alan have also discussed sodium -

Salt Causes High Blood Pressure - The Truth Behind 5 Food Myths

Contest Dieting Part 1 | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

Bodybuilding Precontest Competition Tips

I just want to add that 1 reason why people avoiding salt and eating restriced feel like shit is the fact they are not getting enough sodium.

One quick way to feeling like total shit!

EDIT - Not really going to go into anything coz its pointless.

Smart move because you and the others of this thread have different opinions. No problem having your own ideas but why argue when the others are not going to change.

Cheers for the links Max.

What foods have potassium in them then? I assume my bodys alright..

I eat by IIFYM, but I'm skinny so just trying to eat lots of icecream myself lol...

Edit:although I still avoid eating any shitty food, too much sugar like pies etc lol..

I eat by IIFYM, but I'm skinny so just trying to eat lots of icecream myself lol...

Edit:although I still avoid eating any shitty food, too much sugar like pies etc lol..

bananas :)

I heard this thing called beef has a lot potassium in it. If I eat it though will I be as huge as Doc Zenith and have 20 inchers???

I heard this thing called beef has a lot potassium in it. If I eat it though will I be as huge as Doc Zenith and have 20 inchers???
Only if you have waxy maize post workout in Elite Protein, even though he only uses protein from Tasmania and you must read Arnold's encyclopedia front to back everyday.

So with that taken into account, dave you have no chance :D

Only if you have waxy maize post workout in Elite Protein, even though he only uses protein from Tasmania and you must read Arnold's encyclopedia front to back everyday.

So with that taken into account, dave you have no chance :D

Cool story bro

My mind just exploded...joke?

Eating lots of ice cream but avoiding shitty food with to much sugar??? Is this real life?

Hormonal responses to a fast-food meal compared with nutritionally comparable meals of different composition.
Bray GA, Most M, Rood J, Redmann S, Smith SR.
Source
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA. brayga@pbrc.edu
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Fast food is consumed in large quantities each day. Whether there are differences in the acute metabolic response to these meals as compared to 'healthy' meals with similar composition is unknown.

DESIGN:
Three-way crossover.

METHODS:
Six overweight men were given a standard breakfast at 8:00 a.m. on each of 3 occasions, followed by 1 of 3 lunches at noon. The 3 lunches included: (1) a fast-food meal consisting of a burger, French fries and root beer sweetened with high fructose corn syrup; (2) an organic beef meal prepared with organic foods and a root beer containing sucrose, and (3) a turkey meal consisting of a turkey sandwich and granola made with organic foods and an organic orange juice. Glucose, insulin, free fatty acids, ghrelin, leptin, triglycerides, LDL-cholesterol and HDL-cholesterol were measured at 30-min intervals over 6 h. Salivary cortisol was measured after lunch.

RESULTS:
Total fat, protein and energy content were similar in the 3 meals, but the fatty acid content differed. The fast-food meal had more myristic (C14:0), palmitic (C16:0), stearic (C18:0) and trans fatty acids (C18:1) than the other 2 meals. The pattern of nutrient and hormonal response was similar for a given subject to each of the 3 meals. The only statistically significant acute difference observed was a decrease in the AUC of LDL cholesterol after the organic beef meal relative to that for the other two meals. Other metabolic responses were not different.

CONCLUSION:
LDL-cholesterol decreased more with the organic beef meal which had lesser amounts of saturated and trans fatty acids than in the fast-food beef meal.

Marc I'll shove this up my ass later :D