• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dodgy bench-mods =)

speaking of bench mods, what's a good padding to lay down when making your own bench pad. I used the highest density foam at ClarkRubber but its still way to squishy so i was thinking of using some yoga matting, thoughts?

@ener: I used the hard blue foam stuff at clark rubber, works a treat for me, I just layed 2xlayers so you could easy use yoga matting and do the same. Just make sure you glue the 2 bits together and cut the sides straight. Once the vinal goes on it looks the same anyway.

Because most gyms fucking suck.

this x 1000

thank god i go to a family run gym that allows deadlifts, squats, chalk, everything.

Fitness first/goodlife/jetts all are bad gym in my opinion, although if i had no choice i would go to them.

Because most gyms fucking suck.

this x 1000

thank god i go to a family run gym that allows deadlifts, squats, chalk, everything.

Fitness first/goodlife/jetts all are bad gym in my opinion, although if i had no choice i would go to them.

At the end of the day a gym is what YOU make it...its an excuse when ppl say oh most gyms are gay etc etc....I have trained at hardcore gyms and trained at fitness first style gyms and my results dont change....

Im just saying maybe it would be easier to just join a gym sometimes than buying equipment, fixing it etc etc etc yourself.

At the end of the day a gym is what YOU make it...its an excuse when ppl say oh most gyms are gay etc etc....I have trained at hardcore gyms and trained at fitness first style gyms and my results dont change....

Im just saying maybe it would be easier to just join a gym sometimes than buying equipment, fixing it etc etc etc yourself.

mate its hard to train properly when there are no free weights what so ever in the gym...

Your right I could make the gym experience better but only if I buy them decent equipment.

Most gyms that I have been into these days have no squat rack, no were to do deads and often no free weights. Fuck that, I'll buy my own set up and I also get to be free of the idiots there.

To be honest, my local gym is great. I know the owners well and can use chalk etc, they have all the free weights etc, but at the end of the day I prefer to train at home with my own gear, I can listen to my own music and set everything up for just me. Since going to the expense of setting up my own things I can honestly say i am a much happier person. I agree to an extent that a gym is what you make of it, and i will train in them when I travel etc, but I much prefer to train at home in the comfort of my own pit of pain (as I have dubbed it LOL). I guess its a personal thing, but the other main factor for me was opening and closing times of my local gyms, they all open at 6am and close at 7pm around here, which I sometimes can't make due to work commitments, so having my own set-up eliminates this inconsistency in my training through no fault of my own. And before you say get a different job, around here there ain't any, believe me I've tried and am still trying. But I don't have to worry about this anymore as I have quality gear at my disposal @ home.

7pm finish time is a bit early and I don't blame you for choosing your own setup over those closing hours.

For some people the joy they get from building their own equipment would be as much as the joy of the results they get from using it.

I find that buying old equipment for a bargain price and reconditioning it to suit your needs very satisfying.

At the end of the day it will fufill your needs and the results you get from this bench are no less then that of a commercial bench in the gym.

kudo's to you

Last edited:
@ener: I used the hard blue foam stuff at clark rubber, works a treat for me, I just layed 2xlayers so you could easy use yoga matting and do the same. Just make sure you glue the 2 bits together and cut the sides straight. Once the vinal goes on it looks the same anyway.

Hey,
I modded the 115$ bench from gymdirect as the pad width is only 250mm. I used 2 x (19x1200x300) planks of wood from bunnings, a 42x42x1800 wooden post. drilled a hole smaller then the nut, filled it with gorilla glue and hammered it in. Next I screwed the two planks together and used the post cut in half underneath for side supports.

for padding I ended up using a camping mat from kmart (was cheaper then yoga for the same thing lol) cut it to size and laid my foam backed marine vinyl over it. very nice to bench on I must say.