• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Moving into isolation....

kaz

iLift
Hi All,
Looking for advice on my training routine for isolating arms. Have always worked out using compound strength exercises.
Here is my routine... feedback appreciated.

Upper Body Workout - Supersets x 3 sets

Tricep supersets
10 x 8kg Overhead Tricep Extentions
10 x 2.5kg tricep kickbacks

Bicep supersets
10 x Incline bicep curls 6kg
10 x Hammercurls 6kg

Shoulder Supersets
10 x DB Upright Rows x 6kg
10 x Overhead DB Presses 6kg

Back Supersets
10 x Narrow Grip rows 20kg bar
10 x Under grip wide rows 20kg bar

I want to start isolating to keep my size, and have some decent definition as the fatburns off. I already isolate legs and abs weekly. I have kept my weights low because of a recent shoulder injury. But I can tell you from never isolating these muscles in a routine, my arms were shaking towards the end.

If I was to do those exercises I'd do back first. Larger muscle groups should normally get worked earlier, otherwise your delts and arms will be too fried to get proper form in the rows.

kickbacks suck in my opinion.

I woud rather do cable pushdowns. OR close grip bench press.

But what DKD said, do your biggest muscles first (back, shoulder, tri, bi)

I workout in my home gym, unfortunately I only have kettlebells and freeweights. My other option for tri's would be tricep dips? I don't mind the kickbacks but my form really dies in the butt towards the end of my reps.

Weighted bench dips would be a better option. Personally I don't think the workout is the best for what you want.

are isolations really needed on a cut? is this something to gain more definition? or to make sure the size is preserved? If thats the case wouldnet addaquate Protien intake solve that?

Sorry to hyjak your thread though im a little confussed as to the purpose of iso Exersises.

What kind of workout are you thinking?

You should train similar to when you are trying to put on muscle. The difference is you will not progress as quickly and may need to make small adjustments to make sure you recover alright.

Trying to keep gaining in strength tells your muscles to keep the size. You will not be able to go to failure often on as many isolation exercises that you choose to do as well. As I said small adjustments to suit your recovery.

Set some strength goals and use a slow cut to bring out your muscle definition. Keep the isolation work for what is important to you most to keep.