• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Surplus while injured

jzpowahz

So we know about the generic rep ranges for strength, hypertrohpy, endurance.

So my question is: If you are coming back from an injury (ligament related) and working up the weights slowly with much higher reps (15+ for endurance basically) is there any point in being in a surplus diet wise?

The way I see it is that you won't be able to gain any muscle because the stimulus provided would be too low (50% of 1rm or less I would think) but I guess that depends on how long the person has trained for.

Any benefits for ligament/tendon healing by being in a surplus as opposed to a deficit?

On Lyle McDonald's forum, someone asked the same question (sorry was unable to find the original thread), and he recommended eating at maintenance/slight surplus during recovery (as opposed to eating at a deficit).

I would still eat at a surplus. The reason being that you only stop doing the exercises that the injury affects. You should still be training the rest of your body hard. Unless the injury hampers your total training than I see no need for eating at a surplus, maintenance would be sufficient, or a little above to be safe.
Good luck with it mate.

Eating at maintenance or slight surplus (if training after coming back form injury) will be of benefit as more 'energy' will be required for 'repair' for not only skeletal muscle but also the ligaments and tendons. Positive hormonal product = Maintenance or above. Poor hormonal function = deficit :)

Total energy energy requirement will not be as high as being back to 100% and training at peak performance, but none the less still a slight surplus would be suggested IMO.

Thanks people.

Found Lyle saying the same thing.

Moderate surplus it is.

And yes it is true that I can still train other areas hard but I've been through a bad run of injuries this year so it's been a bit weird coming back. (knee, hip/groin & now shoulder)