• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Semillon

As a matter of pure curiosity, is it known for how long your muscles are growing after a strenght training session? eg: something along the lines of a 5x5 strength program.

An article I found suggests 24 hours, however given that its not uncommon to experience soreness beyond that time, the broscientist in me suggests the time could be longer, unless of course growth and recovery and not one and the same?

As a matter of pure curiosity, is it known for how long your muscles are growing after a strenght training session? eg: something along the lines of a 5x5 strength program.

An article I found suggests 24 hours, however given that its not uncommon to experience soreness beyond that time, the broscientist in me suggests the time could be longer, unless of course growth and recovery and not one and the same?

I think it's up to 36-48 hours.

Growth and recovery are not the same. And DOMS does not equal growth.

In this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8563679 muscle protein synthesis returned to baseline levels after 36 hours. However, they were only doing curls. Perhaps it's elevated for a longer period when you do more stressful exercises and workouts that target the whole body? Perhaps not.

Last edited:
Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar prote... [J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Exercise, protein metabolism, a... [Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

Exercise stimulates protein synthesis for 24-48 hours after the even. How long the body takes to make the muscle growth adaptations from a workout would be difficult to pin point due to the fact so many other factors that come into play for actual muscle growth.

Just being 'sore' for 'x' amount of time after a workout doesn't give an indication of anything meaningful.

Last edited:
Variability in training-induced skeletal muscle adaptation.
Timmons JA.
Source
Royal Veterinary College, Univ. of London, Camden NW1 0TU, United Kingdom. Jamie.timmons@gmail.com
Abstract
When human skeletal muscle is exposed to exercise training, the outcomes, in terms of physiological adaptation, are unpredictable. The significance of this fact has long been underappreciated, and only recently has progress been made in identifying some of the molecular bases for the heterogeneous response to exercise training. It is not only of great medical importance that some individuals do not substantially physiologically adapt to exercise training, but the study of the heterogeneity itself provides a powerful opportunity to dissect out the genetic and environmental factors that limit adaptation, directly in humans. In the following review I will discuss new developments linking genetic and transcript abundance variability to an individual's potential to improve their aerobic capacity or endurance performance or induce muscle hypertrophy. I will also comment on the idea that certain gene networks may be associated with muscle "adaptability" regardless the stimulus provided.

Variability in training-induced skeletal musc... [J Appl Physiol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

How long do muscles grow after resistance training?
I know for a fact that there's no muscle growth for at least 12 hours post training. In fact, at this time interval it's more about muscle atrophy than hypertrophy. Don't take my word for it. Grab yourself a tape measure and measure your arms before an arm workout then 12 hours later. You'd find you've lost few millimeters there.

For me it's about 24 hours to get back to pre-workout size, and then I begin to supercompensate for up to 48 hours post-workout. By supercompensate, I mean my metabolic recovery has taken place beyond what I've started with, through glycogen replenishment and so on.

So in a nut shell, I find (whether by tape measure or by the scale), I usually go 1 step back before advancing 1 step+ forward.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Fadi I'm interested in how you are measuring your arms down to millimeter accuracy. I can't really believe that anyone can measure themself accurately enough with a tape measure to see the growth from workout to workout. Or the muscle protein breakdown after a workout.

Let's face it 1 workout a week and 1mm growth per week is over 2 inches on arms per year. No one is doing that year after year. So you would have to be able to measure with sub mm accuracy then take into account BF and water retention flucuations even temp and blood flow would effect it.

I used to do monthly measurements of body parts when I first started training, but I quit that after only 2-3 months....too much variability with where the tape measure rests....I soon realised I wasn't getting much value out of it.

It can take up to 2 months for hypertrophy to occur after a training session

It can take up to 2 months for hypertrophy to occur after a training session

Wat-3d-Gif-12.png

^ That was before 0ni got his shit together

Says the bloke who used to take the piss out of [MENTION=8399]0ni[/MENTION]; at every opportunity.

Goosey was 0ni's Father and I was his Manager. We are the reason 0ni is Australia's Premier Powerlifter today!

[MENTION=3627]Goosey[/MENTION]; and I are thinking of taking [MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; under our wing and seeing if we can make something of him.