• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Topic of the Week - What Are Some Grocery Shopping Tips For A Bodybuilder?

I tried being a high life Bazza, its not for me..

Well basically you flogging food from the supermarket they are going to pass the losses on to either the customer or the farmers producing the food. With the supermarket price wars going on most likely it will be to the farmer. So how thoughtful of you that you feel the farmers should be subsidising your groceries.

Maybe you should start a new thread with a poll in it. Im not going to ruin this one with back and forths.

I got snapped this morning the chekout thing freaked out on me sayin remove last item, a dude seen it and came ova as I was about to pile everythin bak into my basket and pretend like id forgotton some shit and was gona head bak to the isles... He looked at the screen and says u got alot of carrots there mate then looked into my bag... No carrots! Haha I said, Why is it bringin everything up as carrots?? He goes just go to checkout 1 its free. I had to pay full price for everything, I had 2kg salmon some rice pasta onions broccoli capsicum and sweet potato it came to over $100!?!!? I was so pissed off... Funny thing is the dude that snapped me would not make eyecontact with me and even pretended to believe my story about the chekout bringing everything up as carrots. Weird how some ppl are programed to avoid confrintation he knew wat I was up to but was happy to just roll with my story haha... Note to self one item weighed up as carrots per shop run and always have a carrot or 2 in the bottom of the bag encase its looked at!

hahaha mate, Funny as! was it the unexpected weight alarm?

They took them off down here now, Casued to many probs. Took up to much time.

The scnaed item dosent even have to match the bag weight anymore.

Can weght a bloddy mobile and drop in 10kg of meat if need be.

But lesson lernt here, Dont get to greedy.

They should call self serve checkouts the Free Grocery exit.
I know every trick in the book that customers try.

But would like to add low cal pasta (changs and Slimpasta) to a BB shopping list :)

They should call self serve checkouts the Free Grocery exit.
I know every trick in the book that customers try.

But would like to add low cal pasta (changs and Slimpasta) to a BB shopping list :)

Haha I would love to hear what else people try? What sort of stuff do they try and pull off?

I see the self checkout as more of a convenience when the other checkouts are backed up with families doing weekly shops and getting home deliveries!

Haha I would love to hear what else people try? What sort of stuff do they try and pull off?

I see the self checkout as more of a convenience when the other checkouts are backed up with families doing weekly shops and getting home deliveries!

I can never reveal! However the worst culprits are mums with the weekly shopping, and they steal things like coke and chips? Seriously.......

frozen egg whites are handy!

frenches mustard is low cal.

cottage cheese on crackers is my favourite snack, easy and filling.

love the mission wraps for brekky with my eggs.

+ the usual stuff, wish I would cook more fish..

I thing I always struggle with is perishables.... majority of stuff I like doesnt last very long so I'm forced to do shopping every 2 days. I imagine this would be easier in a family situation since a larger quantity is being consumed. How do others deal with this?

Also, how much do you guys average on food per week? $150 sound right?

We freeze alot of our meat to stop it going off, sometimes forget though and end up chucking it out, such a waste.
$150 a week just for yourself Wingers? We spend just shy of 200 a week for 4 of us, and thats with the expensive bullshit snacks the kids have for school.

I order online and get my fruit and veg delivered, its much fresher than buying from shops especially woolies and coles, lasts a lot longer (like twice as long). Aussie farmers Direct, Organic Green, Lettuce Shop, I do them all. Saves me times from having to trolley rage with old ladies taking up whole aisles LOL. Works out about the same price too: I usually get
apples, pineapple, mixed nuts, dates, oranges, tomatoes, lettuce, beans, bean sprouts, broccoli, coriander and mint.

As for meat I go to a butcher (Torres in the city) if I want quality/treat but if I am a bit broke then I go to Spud Shed and load up on bulk topside, chicken, lamb so I can cook whatever I want.

Get to know your "local" butcher, and learn to clean and portion cuts of beef because...

1. the meat from supermarkets is usually grain fed rubbish, my local butcher stocks grass fed.
2. cost, buying an entire rump of about 6 kilos at $12 a kilo will save you considerably much more money than buying the same 6 kg of portioned rump steaks at $20.

EDIT- didnt read thread, possibly been said.

Get to know your "local" butcher, and learn to clean and portion cuts of beef because...

1. the meat from supermarkets is usually grain fed rubbish, my local butcher stocks grass fed.
2. cost, buying an entire rump of about 6 kilos at $12 a kilo will save you considerably much more money than buying the same 6 kg of portioned rump steaks at $20.

EDIT- didnt read thread, possibly been said.

Also buy in bulk. Some places do a whole side of beef cut up into portions for $6-7 a kg.

Find a good bulk meat butcher and go nuts

Chicken breast 5.99 - 7.99/kg, Full Rump 9.99/kg, Full Scotch fillet 12.99/kg and Full Eye Fillet 18.99/kg

Also try to shop at a whole fruit and veg price where they are good quality and generally last longer and are cheaper than Coles and Woolies.

7 Best Body Building Foods

Found this, thought I'd post it here :)

7 BEST BODY BUILDING FOODS - BY CHEF DEVIN ALEXANDER

OUR TOP CHOICES OF PROTEIN-PACKED AND CARB-RICH FOODS (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER) AND HOW TO COOK THEM

CHICKEN IS HIGH IN PROTEIN AND LOW IN FAT, BUT LEAN RED MEAT PACKS THE MOST PUNCH

1) EGG WHITES
Show us a bodybuilder without egg whites in his diet, and we’ll show you someone who’s missing out on the best protein money can buy. Paired with oatmeal, an egg-white omelette can turn your breakfast into a power meal to fuel the rest of your day.
BUY IT: When purchasing eggs, do the basics: Always check the date and open the carton to check for cracks. Also, be sure to store the eggs in the refrigerator. Although eggs stored out of the refrigerator won’t necessarily cause illness, they do lose a grade per day when not refrigerated.

PREPARE IT: Although many gadgets promise an easy way to separate the yolk from the white, the quickest, easiest method is to simply use your own clean hands.For this six-egg-white omelette recipe, crack six eggs into a medium-sized bowl. Next, using clean fingers, lightly grasp the yolks, lift them out one by one, and discard. With a fork or whisk, whisk the egg whites with salt, pepper and any of your favourite herbs until well combined and a few bubbles have formed on top. Spray a medium non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Place it over medium-high heat and add egg whites. After about 15 seconds, reduce heat to medium. Pull in on the edges of the omelette with a spatula and slightly tilt the pan so the uncooked egg runs under the cooked portion. Continue this around the perimeter until most of the uncooked egg disappears. Then fold the omelette in thirds, as if you’re folding a letter to fit it into an envelope. Using the spatula, carefully slide it from the pan to a plate and eat it immediately.

NUTRIENTS: 99 calories, 21 g protein, 2 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0 g fibre.

2) RUMP STEAK
Chicken breast may be the quintessential bodybuilding staple, but lean cuts of red meat are loaded with complete protein and pack the most punch when you’re trying to pack more beef on your frame.
BUY IT: Always purchase rump steak that’s bright-red in colour. If it has even the lightest tint of brown to it, it has started to spoil. Try to find a steak or roast that’s at least 1 inch thick with as little visible fat as possible.

PREPARE IT: Preheat a grill to the highest heat setting. Remove all visible fat and cut the steak or roast into 4–6-ounce individual steaks. Season both sides of meat with salt, pepper and/or a spice rub or marinade. Place on grill and cook 3–6 minutes per side or until cooked to your liking.

NUTRIENTS: A 4-ounce (weighed raw) lean rump steak has 138 calories, 24 g protein, 0 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 0 g fibre.

3) SALMON FILLET
Salmon has the prerequisite protein as well as the added benefits of unsaturated (good) fats. Hardcore lifters are often deficient in fats, because they’re so often on super-low-fat diets. Including certain fish in your daily intake is one way to get the fats back — at least the healthy kind.

BUY IT: When salmon is fresh, it’s bright orange in colour and doesn’t feel slimy or exude an odour. Always choose a thicker cut — because the tail gets more of a workout when the fish is in the water, the meat near the tail is tougher.

PREPARE IT: Be sure all bones are removed from the fillet (a “fillet” by definition is boneless, but sometimes a few stray bones don’t get removed). Preheat oven to 400°F/ 200°C/Gas mark 6. Place the 4–6-ounce fillet on a baking sheet or pan, seasoned as desired. (To practically eliminate cleaning, line the pan with aluminum foil before adding the salmon, so you can throw the foil out after it cools.) Bake 10–14 minutes or until pink in the centre, and the fish flakes with a fork.

NUTRIENTS: A 4-ounce (weighed raw) serving has 207 calories, 23 g protein, 0 g carbohydrate, 12 g fat, 0 g fibre.

4) CHICKEN BREAST
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get away from the hordes of bodybuilders chasing after it. Dumb joke, but it’s no understatement to say that the majority of gym rats consume chicken breast on a regular basis. And why not? High in protein and ultra-low in fat, the bird’s unoffending taste makes it palatable for almost everyone.

BUY IT: Save money by buying boneless, skinless chicken breasts in bulk in the freezer section. Be sure raw chicken is pinkish in colour (not white-toned, which would indicate freezer burn or improper refrigeration). Defrost overnight in the refrigerator. The defrosted chicken shouldn’t feel or smell slimy.

PREPARE IT: Preheat a grill to the highest heat setting. Trim all visible fat from the breast, and season or marinate it with your favourite spices or sauce. Place chicken under the hot grill (it should sizzle), then turn the heat to the lowest setting. Cook for 4–6 minutes, then flip and cook 4–6 minutes more, until no longer pink inside or a thermometer stuck into the thickest portion of the breast reads 170°F/77°C.

NUTRIENTS: A 6-ounce (weighed raw) breast has 205 calories, 38 g protein, 0 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 0 g fibre.

5) SWEET POTATO
A buff body isn’t built by protein alone. Carbohydrates provide energy you need to work hard and play hard. Sweet potatoes provide that oomph without overdosing your system with simple, fast-acting carbs. They’re often used precontest by bodybuilders looking to fill out depleted muscles, but even if you’re not getting ready for the stage, they’re an excellent part of any dieting or mass-gaining strategy.

BUY IT: Sweet potatoes come in two varieties: the white kind are like regular baking potatoes; the dark ones have a dark skin and orange flesh and are packed with nutrients. When choosing a sweet potato, make sure it has a smooth, firm skin with no bruises or blemishes. Stick with smaller or medium-sized sweet potatoes, which tend to taste better than jumbo ones.

PREPARE IT: Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas mark 4. Scrub the potato under cold water using a veggie brush, making sure to remove all dirt. Pat it dry, then prick it 5–6 times all over with a fork. Place directly on a lower oven rack and bake about one hour (for an 8–12-ounce potato), or until it’s soft when pierced with a fork.

NUTRIENTS: An 8-ounce sweet potato has 240 calories, 4 g protein, 55 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat, 7 g fibre.

6) PORK TENDERLOIN
Pork is often shunned by diet purists, and what a shame. Not only is it more flavourful than chicken, but some cuts are almost as low in fat while still boasting the requisite protein power. Pork tenderloin is the filet mignon of pork — it’s the most tender, as well as the leanest portion, of the meat.

BUY IT: Look for a tenderloin that feels firm, lacks a lot of visible fat and gristle, and has a tinge of pink to it. If it appears dry or even a little grey, don’t purchase it.

PREPARE IT: Trim all visible fat using a sharp knife. Marinate the pork in your favourite marinade for one hour to overnight in the refrigerator, or coat it with your favourite spice rub. Preheat oven to 300°F/ 150°C/Gas mark 2. Meanwhile, spray a frying pan with non-stick spray and place over high heat. Brown the meat, about one minute per side, until just browned, then transfer to a baking dish and place in oven until a meat thermometer reads 155°F/ 69°C and the meat is only slightly pink inside, approximately 15–25 minutes. Slice and serve hot.

NUTRIENTS: A 4-ounce serving has 136 calories, 24 g protein, 0 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 0 g fibre.

7) ASPARAGUS
Asparagus? Seriously, if you want to grow, your mum was right — you need veggies. When it comes to greens, you have plenty of great choices. Broccoli and spinach are other highly recommended options, but we picked asparagus for its water-leaching quality. Top bodybuilders turn to asparagus as a meal when it comes down to precontest crunch time and they need to get extra-tight for the stage.

BUY IT: Whether the spears are thin or thick, they should have a bright-green colour and be free of blemishes and bruises. The buds at the tip should be closed tightly, not wilting. For best taste, consume within three days of purchase.

PREPARE IT: Trim the base of each stalk. If you’ve chosen thick stalks with tough skin, it’s best to peel the base end with a vegetable peeler.Lay a spear flat, then, starting about halfway between the tip and base, peel to the end of the base. Rotate the spear and continue to peel the lower half until all sides are peeled and the base is about the same thickness as the tip. Select a pan wide enough to lay the spears flat, add 1 inch of water and a pinch of salt, and place over high heat until water boils. Add asparagus so that the tips all face the same end. Boil 3–4 minutes for thin spears (4–6 minutes for thicker ones), or until spears are just crisp and tender. Remove and serve hot.

NUTRIENTS: A 4-ounce serving has 27 calories, 3 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate,

6280_133116923368_50877218368_2331605_3658227_a.jpg
6280_133117068368_50877218368_2331606_5040441_a.jpg
6280_133117193368_50877218368_2331607_7078280_n.jpg