• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
when i worked at the abbatoirs in aussie i was walking about 15-20 kms a day pushing carcasses into the chiller.i was approx. pushing about 2000 dead sheep daily.i squatted 210 kgs in comp with a days rest.so u can recover quickly from walking if u are conditioned.

when i worked at the abbatoirs in aussie i was walking about 15-20 kms a day pushing carcasses into the chiller.

Interesting you say that Gez. Some old time fighters used to do their Cardio pushing wheelbarrows uphill. I assume it's to teach them to get the Upper and Lower body working as one to get the Power "out", as well as getting Cardio.

Interesting you say that Gez. Some old time fighters used to do their Cardio pushing wheelbarrows uphill. I assume it's to teach them to get the Upper and Lower body working as one to get the Power "out", as well as getting Cardio.

id stack up to 20 carcasses and push as fast as i could.it was great training.id also run smolov programs on top of that.luckily it was a small town with nothing to do.id work train eat sleep.no wonder my wife left me.lol.

Last edited:
id stack up to 20 carcasses and push as fast as i could.it was great training.id also run smolov programs on top of that.luckily it was a small town with nothing to do.id work train eat sleep.no wonder my wife left me.lol.

But you were a Beast! That's the meaning of life. Train, eat, root, sleep repeat!

What I wanna get back to.

it did nothing for my bench and virtually nothing for my deadlift however.Wilks warned me cardio wasnt the way to go but i had to balance real life priorities.

But you were a Beast! That's the meaning of life. Train, eat, root, sleep repeat!

What I wanna get back to.

i was grumpy and wanted to attack anyone who gave me a semi stink eye.dont get me wrong powerlifting did make me happy but noone else in my vicinity.i was really way up my own arse.now im sub 100 kgs on my squat and miserable because of it.however everyone else is happy because im not walking around overtrained.cant win mate

Last edited:
Hi Gerry,

I'd rather say, you can recover quickly because of walking.

i felt it did help me in terms of muscle soreness.it would simply flush away after a few kms.i had no choice anyway.i couldnt slack off at work.my boss at the time wanted me to quit lifting so i had to show him i could bear my responsibilities as well as pursue my addiction.

i dont think doing major amounts of cardio does help anyone looking to increase their 1 rep max.captain obvious is stating the obvious.

Last edited:
i dont think doing major amounts of cardio does help anyone looking to increase their 1 rep max.captain obvious is stating the obvious.
Just so I'm not misunderstood here Gerry; by walking I meant simply going for a walk. Not to beat the clock; not to feel your heart rate pounding, not to come back home with a sore pelvis due to the speed your legs were moving no..., simply a walk, on a regular (every single day) basis for as often as is possible. Our bodies were designed to walk..., not sit or stand for prolonged periods of time, but to basically maintain some level of movement.

I know back in the 80s when I was weightlifting, I had a choice between sitting between sets, or walking between sets. The coaches used to have to force me to sit, as I felt 100% better in both the ability to recover quicker, and to recharge my energy so to speak with a simple walk from point a to point b, used as in interval of what is now understood to be an "active recovery".

So in a nutshell, I'd say walking is a restorer of energy and a formidable ally for your recovery (from both physical as well as mental stress). Hence, in my initial remark post to you, I said that I'd rather say one recovers because of walking instead of from walking. Thank you Gerry.

Cardio, or Real Cardio is about increasing Cardio Vascular functioning.

What Bodybuilders and Strength Athletes call "Cardio" isn't really increasing their Cardio Vascular functioning that much. They just Walk for the Health benefits (including recovery) or to burn more Calories.

True Cardio is when you push your Cardio Vascular system so it creates and adaptive response. Walking only does that a minimal amount.

Cardio to me is when you're doing Hill Sprints, Rows, or Cycling and your temperature starts to increase, your Heart starts to pound. You get that Lung burn so bad that it creates that taste in your Mouth. You can literally taste the pain. You snarl and say to yourself "eat the fucken pain kunt, eat the fucken pain!" You only quit coz your afraid of causing yourself to have a Heart Attack or Stroke.

Cardio sorts out the Men from the Boys. When lifting weights we can only endure so much Muscular pain before our form breaks down endangering our joints etc. But with Cardio you can go through the pain barrier a bit further as your joints aren't as at risk as when going through the Muscular pain barrier of lifting.

I remember reading how Miguel Indurain Tour de France cyclist has a lung capacity of well over 7 litres. I assume other Athletes have more that that but that's pretty impressive.

EDIT: "British rower Pete Reed has the largest lung capacity ever recorded: 11.68 litres. To put that in some perspective, Lance Armstrong’s capacity is seven litres."
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/blogs/train-like-an-olympian/pete-reed-rowing-training-regime

Last edited:
nice piece LPS. Cardio is indeed hard. went for a 3km run in 15 minutes, hard work when you pulse gets up to 180 at my age.

Heavy weights, by comparison, is quite easy. Very little pain.

nice piece LPS. Cardio is indeed hard. went for a 3km run in 15 minutes, hard work when you pulse gets up to 180 at my age.

by 15 mins u mean 20 mins+ and when u say 3 kms u jogged 2.u obviously dont high rep squat or deadlift either anymore.

The word cardio is just a term to describe doing an activity that raises the heart rate.

How long the duration and how high the HR be maintained to maintain and improve health is specious at best
IMO
In this day and age we need to spend a small amount of time in the high intensity area and most of our time in the low intensity area.

although walking is low intensity in terms of raising the HR it's the safest in terms of potential soft tissue damage.

if you're using cardio as a means of improving health then make sure lifting is a very big part of it.

The word cardio is just a term to describe doing an activity that raises the heart rate.

How long the duration and how high the HR be maintained to maintain and improve health is specious at best
IMO
In this day and age we need to spend a small amount of time in the high intensity area and most of our time in the low intensity area.

although walking is low intensity in terms of raising the HR it's the safest in terms of potential soft tissue damage.

if you're using cardio as a means of improving health then make sure lifting is a very big part of it.

I agree, run other day was a test at near 100% effort; most of my longer runs are 15-20min at 10km/h, with pulse around 160 all the way. Other days I walk with pulse anywhere from 120-140 (gradient around 3 degrees), depending on when i am walking and what muscle group i have just trained. Obviously leg weights before keeps my pulse higher when walking straight after.

Thanks.