• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Looking for a boxing training plan

biggest_kid

Hey guys i have just taken up boxing again after a 4 month break and my coach told me to stop going to gym because it just makes me slower and makes my arms heavier meaning it will be much harder to compete in my current weight division.

So im currently using the begginners weight routine listed on this forum and am really liking it because its making me stronger so i can lift more at work and my body is looking quite good too so i am a bit reluctant to stop it.

So im a bit confused as to if i should start a new routine focused no boxing or keep going with this one. What do u guys rekon?

Thanks,
big

How often do you do boxing per week? If you're boxing training 4-6 times a week I would only get into the gym twice per week.

The beginner program will be fine unless you're pulling up sore from it and you feel it is affecting your boxing, then you may have to look at changing it.

A different way of weights training that will make you faster is also fast twitch muscle training. Although you want see any real muscle gain or strength gain you will be qucker. This way of training involves very slow eccentric movements and then exploding in the concentric movement

You should be trying to lift as fast as possible (in a controlled manner) during the concentric portion of the lift anyway.

My cousin has put on 2kg since he started training with me in my garage and says his boxing has improved tenfold on a healthy diet of squats, deads, dips and chins

Boxers still train with weights mate.

How often do you train boxing per week??

I would stick with the beginners program. May be if you are training boxing often, just hit the weights once or twice a week, it will be enough to keep you progressing forward.

The thing about the arms getting too heavy and slow is BS, as your strength will go up a LOT more than the weight in your arms will, and punching power will be up a heap with added strength.

I am also interested to learn the boxing but i could not find the good trainer.
If you have the good trainer then just suggest me, I am sure you will guide me in a very professional way.

You have to show your own to get a good trainer in boxing.

Doesn't make sense I know, but unfortunately that's how it is, especially in Australia.

The best trainer you could get right now is Gretchy at Boxing Works in the city (sydney), but he is $100 per session.

If you have the chops to actually compete with the pros OS though, he is a great trainer to have as he is connected with Ricky Hatton promotions in the UK and golden boy promotions through them.

To the first poster, it's not the weights making you slow, it's the 4 month break. How did you and your trainer think having 4 months off wouldn't slow you down?

If you are a big puncher, it wouldn't be a bad thing to go up in weight anyway. Work your speed back up and you should dominate if you are half decent. Esp here in Aus, the quality isn't much.

Hey guys i have just taken up boxing again after a 4 month break and my coach told me to stop going to gym because it just makes me slower and makes my arms heavier meaning it will be much harder to compete in my current weight division.

So im currently using the begginners weight routine listed on this forum and am really liking it because its making me stronger so i can lift more at work and my body is looking quite good too so i am a bit reluctant to stop it.

So im a bit confused as to if i should start a new routine focused no boxing or keep going with this one. What do u guys rekon?

Thanks,
big

Hi matey - congratulations on taking on the boxing again - how are you getting on with it? I know a few professional guys in Melbourne and Sydney and a reoccuring theme that comes from most of them is that they listen to their coach for the technical stuff, but when it comes to anything else, they go by what they want or feel they should do. One guy in particular has had a right chump of a trainer - absolutely useless guy - not just by what my mate has said but from what I've seen as well. I guess the learning curve for me is that while a trainer can tell me all the technical stuff - its only you who can take it on or not.

My mate ditched his trainer and is way way better now - if you want to carry on doing the weights then go for it - its up to you to change your plan if you want to box and not get hit....that or duck really quick