• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Face Pulls

DKD

Private Dancer
Anyone do them? I wanna give them a crack. I wanna build up my upper back strength / rear delts......I can't do any pressing atm but I've heard these are a pretty decent exercise. Anyone have experience with them?

This guy pulls a good face. LOL

face_pull.jpg

Seriously, I don't do them. never have, don't see the need for them. Others may have a different oponion of them

Nope. Id prefer just rows and rear deltoid raises (these are awesome, i have neglected these far too long). Srsly rear deltoid raises will do what you want.

what are you doing currently?

Last edited:
Louie Simmons and co use them ALL the time on Upper Body days.

Reading around it seems there are better alternatives (rear delt flyes, band pull aparts) though there are also a number of people who say their shoulders haven't felt better since doing the movement.

Give em a try and see how they go I guess!

I'm not doing anything directly for upper back....except pullups I suppose you could say.

I did rear delt flyes ages ago, I often struggled to feel it where it's meant to be felt. Can't remember exactly what the prob was....I think I got into the habit of shrugging it up from memory. I'd do like 20 reps and get bored shitless, thinking when's the set gonna end. But if i lowered the reps and upped the weight I couldn't feel it in the rear delt properly.

I'm doing cable rows....I'm bringing the handle low into me, around the belly button area...I can feel it hitting the lats/back 'girdle' nicely, doesn't do much for upper back though.

When i did the rear delt flyes I'd flatten my bench out, sit on the end and bring the dumbbells up and then down between my legs.

my advice would be to try them like the picture. If not feel it, do your face pulls or shrugs.

I know your not a powerlifter - but heres a list of upperback exercises i found for you.
Upper Back for the Bench

Just a note on that article, Diesel Crew have adapted the Face Pull to increase ROM in the movement by simply turn the hands so the thumbs end up facing the same way they would for a hammer curl (this is why a Tri-rope is better than a straight bar for the exercise)

I haven't done lateral raises since rooting my shoulder, and still don't plan to, and rear delt flyes just seem to be a bent over version of the laterals, so not sure they'd agree with my shoulder. I could see myself making things worse by doing them.

Anyway I'll have a play around with them and face pulls....see what's what.

Finished a workout.....face pulls suck dogs balls IMO lol. Did one set, hated them and ditched them. I did a couple of sets of inverted rows instead. Taking a wide-ish grip on the bar hits the rear delts / upper back fairly well. I hadn't done them in a while, but they're an underrated exercise I reckon.

while we're talking about pulls, what are people's thoughts on clean/snatch high pulls to hit the upper back/rear delts? Are they worth learning?