• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Go to failure for hypertrophy?

DKD

Private Dancer
I've read enough to know that leaving a rep in the tank is a good approach for strength-oriented lifters, but what about if hypertrophy is your focus?

I remember reading a while back on the over 35s section of bb.com a thread where several guys said they made their best gains when training to failure.

I find it a little odd when I read guy's journals when they do nice, neat 3 x 8 pullups/dips/curls whatever. To me, if I'm doing squats or deadlift where good form is crucial for safety, then I'd hesitate to go to absolute failure, but for dips etc I like to go to failure.

Keeping in mind that muscle size is the goal, is my thought process wrong?

I know iv'e made my best strength gains not training to failure/without a spot, the numbers talk. Hypertrophy on the otherhand is harder to gauge, so i'm not sure.

There is video of ken liestner at gridironin NYC going to fatigue doing 20 reps.

I personally like to exercise to fatigue.

If one is going to MMF on squats, they have to know what their doing.

1, 4, 8, 12, 20 30 or 50, as long as it's used in a progressive manner.
Get stronger you get bigger, trick is mixing up the reps over many years, not just weeks.

Im reading Arnolds encyclopedia of bodybuilding at the moment.

He says go to failure to where you can't do another rep unless you have a rest, not going to your dead.

But yes dkd I reckon you're spot on.

I will always try and get that last rep, and then try again.

I tell my people though; every rep must be performed using the same cadence and no squirming around to get the last rep

Muscle hypertrophy needs effort above all else. Sure, variety as well as gradual progressive overload is paramount for muscle growth, but at the end of the day, it's applied effort that is going to get the job done.

Going to failure is but one method out of many, and for as long as one does not restrict themselves to one method at the expense of neglecting all the rest, muscular growth will take place.

"Better than" is a dangerous term in bodybuilding. Different bodybuilders pushing their winning method above all others because it's "better than" all the rest is one sure way to failure ... sooner or later.

Proponents of High intensity rubbish proponents of high volume and on it goes. What both camps need to realise is that irrespective of which method is applied, if muscular effort is not at the forefront of one's workout, then one might as well go home.

When it comes to bodybuilding, the weight on the bar is but one part of the equation to muscle hypertrophy. Overload does not necessarily mean more weight, as some understand it to be.

Going to failure on a particular set on a particular exercise focusing on a particular bodypart (say legs), is different from going to failure on another exercise, focusing on a smaller muscle for example.

Everything works but nothing works all of the time.

Fadi.