• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Quads

what a lot of spank over nothing, why make it harder than it needs to be..

front squat for quads....its that easy..

For what you want I think they are a big waste of time.

I read some things from John Broz about them. He said they didn't do them because back angle was the same as the back squat, build your back squat and it builds your overhead squat.

Overhead squats are also limited to what you can balance therefore back squats will give you a much better leg workout than the overhead squats.

Don't worry so much about butt wink. I even read rip saying a slight butt wink is no problem. Broz was asked about it on bb.com and said don't worry about it, plenty of O lifters have a butt wink, pendlay said the same as far as I can remember.

You want big quads, focus on your back and front squat.

The purpose of the overhead squat (for me) is not to illicit a training effect, it is simply a way for me to achieve relatively decent flexibility in a short amount of time. Following instructions from Dan John my snatches will first be practiced by a snatch grip RDL, going up into a hang powersnatch and then an overhead squat. This will be done with just the bar to get decent flexibility and form with the snatch and again is not to get any sort of training effect.

Here is the routine that I will be doing so you can review it. Credit of course goes to Glenn Pendlay and Bill Starr

#2615042 - Pastie

Butt wink is just a shift in pelvis angle, not rounding of the lumbar spine.

So not dangerous.

yeah I wish I knew that bloody years ago. Wasted so many squat workouts trying to squat without a butt wink.

Eventually realised it was not a issue and just concentrated on squatting and it's actually pretty much disappeared now anyway.

Fill us in Dave. I'm interested.

A little hip tuck is fine as you will still not lose your lumbar curve but as it increases your lumbar spine flexes to compensate for the lack of mobility in your hips. I have a lot of clients who hip tuck so early in a squat that they have a large degree of lumbar flexion by parallel.

Now this does not mean your amount of hip tuck is an issue for you but some, and a lot of.weak and tight office workers, can create issues once they are loaded up. Now they are not loaded up very much so the issue is not great (extreme example).

A more relevant example is an ATG squatter with poor hip mobility loading up over 100kg + and this load then being placed upon a poorly positioned lumbar vertebrae. Over time issues will occur. Olympic liters may get hip tuck but do not forget they are stronger and more mobile/flexible than the average guy in the gym.

If you believe that no lumbar flexion occurs get a few people to squat for you ATG and feel their lumbar spine as it is directly connected to the pelvis any shift in the pelvis will directly affect the lumbar spine. Sacroiliaic Joint issues are caused and exacerbated due to excessive hip tuck.

Yeah I definitely see what you mean. My hip tuck was only ever very small when I went bellow parallel and now it seems to have gone anyway.

What do you do to get rid of excessive hip tuck in people.

Really though if people hip tuck excessively before they even get to parallel they are just rounding there back rather than doing the butt wink we were talking about.

Hamstrings and glute flexibility. Also glute and hamstring strength are important in my opinion. I think the glutes are no. 1 and hamstrings make it worse for the those with quite tight hammies.

Back arch loss and hip tuck start off different though mainly due to people not keeping their fucking chest up (sorry sick of saying that to people all day). It all comes down to the same issue though so you are probably correct, they may just be losing their arch and showing in one of the two ways possible.

Last edited:
k1cjJ.jpg

Thanks guys, the front squats worked.
Just got 1.5x body weight squat for reps again today and my VM is looking loads better

What did you do differently, just added in front squats once a week, reps/sets?

I'm doing Madcow 5x5 and just swapped the 2x5 squats on Wednesday for front squats. Used the same weights as I would have done for normal squats. I've gone back to normal squats again on Wednesday and plan on cycling front squats in and out as a bit of variation when I think I need them