• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The anabolic "window"

hmmm a good read but left me a little confussed, the end part talked more about carbs? Nutrition on that level i still need more reaserch to do.

from what i gather tho the 30 min window to get your shake in is rubbish

I might be completely wrong here but what about if you have a physical job or something you have to do after you workout like i do. You need energy to do that physical job and your main source of energy comes from your glycogen levels. So therefore if you have done a workout and have depleted glycogen stores and then go on to do more physical activity wont your body then look to other sources to give you energy? either fat or muscle stores? Personally if this is the case I would wont to get something into my body as soon as I can after a workout to fuel me so I can get on with my day. Im looking forward to hearing the science behind this Max haha.

Probably the study best illustrating the effect of
nutrient timing on muscle tissue protein synthesis and
accretion is that by Levenhagen et al. (2001). These
researchers studied the effects of a
carbohydrate/protein supplement on protein synthesis
and degradation after a 60-minute moderate intensity
exercise bout of cycling. Subjects were given the
supplement immediately or 3-hours after exercise.
Protein degradation was unaffected by supplement
timing, but leg protein synthesis was increased
approximately 3-fold above basal when
supplementation occurred immediately post exercise.
No increase in protein synthesis occurred when the
supplement was delayed 3-hours, and only when the
supplement was immediately provided after exercise
was there a positive protein balance (the rate of
protein synthesis exceeded the rate of protein
degradation). It was also of interest to note that when
supplementation occurred immediately compared to 3-
hours after exercise, there was a greater fat oxidation.
Levenhagen et al. (2001) concluded that ingesting a
carbohydrate/ protein supplement early after exercise
increases protein accretion as well as muscle glycogen
storage.

http://www.jssm.org/vol3/n3/3/v3n3-3pdf.pdf

I've not got the time to type it out in my own words, Alan Aragon explains it pretty well while school a typical fourm bro :D

The postexercise "anabolic window" is a highly misused & abused concept.
Preworkout nutrition all but cancels the urgency, unless you're an endurance athlete with multiple glycogen-depleting events in a single day. Getting down to brass tacks, a relatively recent study (Power et al. 2009) showed that a 45g dose of whey protein isolate takes appx 50 minutes to cause blood AA levels to peak. Resulting insulin levels, which peaked at 40 minutes after ingestion, remained at elevations known to max out the inhibition of muscle protein breakdown (15-30 mU/L) for 120 minutes after ingestion. This dose takes 3 hours for insulin & AA levels to return to baseline from the point of ingestion. The inclusion of carbs to this dose would cause AA & insulin levels to peak higher & stay elevated above baseline even longer.

So much for the anabolic peephole & the urgency to down AAs during your weight training workout; they are already seeping into circulation (& will continue to do so after your training bout is done). Even in the event that a preworkout meal is skipped, the anabolic effect of the postworkout meal is increased as a supercompensatory response (Deldicque et al, 2010). Moving on, another recent study (Staples et al, 2010) found that a substantial dose of carbohydrate (50g maltodextrin) added to 25g whey protein was unable to further increase postexercise net muscle protein balance compared to the protein dose without carbs. Again, this is not to say that adding carbs at this point is counterproductive, but it certainly doesn't support the idea that you must get your lightning-fast postexercise carb orgy for optimal results.

To add to this... Why has the majority of longer-term research failed to show any meaningful differences in nutrient timing relative to the resistance training bout? It's likely because the body is smarter than we give it credit for. Most people don't know that as a result of a single training bout, the receptivity of muscle to protein dosing can persist for at least 24 hours:Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar pr... [J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed result

More from earlier in the thread:

Here's what you're not seeming to grasp: the "windows" for taking advantage of nutrient timing are not little peepholes. They're more like bay windows of a mansion. You're ignoring just how long the anabolic effects are of a typical mixed meal. Depending on the size of a meal, it takes a good 1-2 hours for circulating substrate levels to peak, and it takes a good 3-6 hours (or more) for everythng to drop back down to baseline.

You're also ignoring the fact that the anabolic effects of a meal are maxed out at much lower levels than typical meals drive insulin & amino acids up to. Furthermore, you're also ignoring the body's ability of anabolic (& fat-oxidative) supercompensation when forced to work in the absence of fuels. So, metaphorically speaking, our physiology basically has the universe mapped out and you're thinking it needs to be taught addition & subtraction.
Properly done preworkout nutrition EASILY elevates insulin above and beyond the maximal threshold seen to inhibit muscle protein breakdown. This insulin elevation resulting from the preworkout meal can persist long after your resistance training bout is done. Therefore, thinking you need to spike anything is only the result of neglecting your preworkout nutrition"

There's no need for quickly absorbed carbs postworkout unless you fulfill all of the following 3 criteria: 1) you have NOT ingested any pre or mid-training carbs, 2) you train to complete glycogen depletion, 3) you're forced to exhustively train those same glycogen-depleted muscles again within the same day.

When speaking of nutrition for improving body composition or training performance, it's crucial to realize there's an underlying hierarchy of importance. At the top of the hierarchy is total amount of the macronutrients by the end of the day. Distantly below that is the precise timing of those nutrients. With very few exceptions, athletes and active individuals eat multiple times per day. Thus, the majority of their day is spent in the postprandial (fed) rather than a post-absorptive (fasted) state. The vast majority of nutrient timing studies have been done on overnight-fasted subjects put through glycogen depletion protocols, which obviously limits the applicability of the outcomes. Pre-exercise (and/or during-exercise) nutrient intake often has a lingering carry-over effect into the post-exercise period. Throughout the day, there's a constant overlap of meal digestion & nutrient absorption. For this reason, the effectiveness of nutrient timing does not require a high degree of precision.

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.

Last edited:
Thank you very much max that was a good read. I think i sort of understand it now. (alot of big words in there haha)

just personal opinion but i think there is too much emphasis by people on post workout rather than pre workout nutrition.

Exercise itself is an insulin independant mechanism. Thats why people with type 2 diabetes are encouraged to exercise. If you eat a meal and then work out the glut 4 receptors will be encourage to take up nutrients into the cells. This factor is not taken into consideration by many people who instead focus on "the anabolic window after exercise."

Therefore getting a decent meal in before exercise = more important imo

happy to hear other peoples opinions to prove me wrong tho

just personal opinion but i think there is too much emphasis by people on post workout rather than pre workout nutrition.

Exercise itself is an insulin independant mechanism. Thats why people with type 2 diabetes are encouraged to exercise. If you eat a meal and then work out the glut 4 receptors will be encourage to take up nutrients into the cells. This factor is not taken into consideration by many people who instead focus on "the anabolic window after exercise."

Therefore getting a decent meal in before exercise = more important imo

happy to hear other peoples opinions to prove me wrong tho
If there was choice to have a pre or post workout meal, the pre workout meal wins hands down! The only time a post workout meal becomes something to think about is in the absence of a pre workout meal or previously consumed nutrients.

So I agree :)

The issue is getting the meal in and letting it have enough time to digest so that you don't get the mega full feeling when you're trying to bust out some pb's. I've found it's a fine line between enough food to feel good and strong and too much that I feel like I'm about to explode :p

The issue is getting the meal in and letting it have enough time to digest so that you don't get the mega full feeling when you're trying to bust out some pb's. I've found it's a fine line between enough food to feel good and strong and too much that I feel like I'm about to explode :p
That is a great point JZ.

As much as I'm for the pre-workout meal over the post workout meal in terms of importance between the 2, a pre workout meal can mean a meal anytime (hours) before hand.

I guess for me my pre workout meal is 11 hours before I train and my post workout meal is 5-6 hours after training :D

That is a great point JZ.

As much as I'm for the pre-workout meal over the post workout meal in terms of importance between the 2, a pre workout meal can mean a meal anytime (hours) before hand.

I guess for me my pre workout meal is 11 hours before I train and my post workout meal is 5-6 hours after training :D

yeah would be kind of stupid to eat 10 minutes before training :)

how many meals do you actually eat in a day max?

Max Brenner: gotcha :) I train in the arvo so I normally have a feed about an hour before that. As long as I don't go silly, that seems to work well for me.

So a quick recap...

Throw Bro science in the bin....

No meal matters more then any other just be consistent... If you miss one ... No big deal your body will compensate...

Eat fish, chicken, eggs, fruit and veg every day.... Its really just that simple...

Everyone will be different... So eat when it suits you...

Where required add some WPC or powdered oats or full cream milk around your diet to reach your nutrient intake...

Hey Max,

What about foods to avoid????

From memory soy was one to avoid????? Something to do with Estrogen???? I still eat it...

Hey Max,

What about foods to avoid????

From memory soy was one to avoid????? Something to do with Estrogen???? I still eat it...
Nothing to worry about. It is not going have any dramatic effect (close to none for the most part) and as per usual in the 'bodybuilding'/'fitness' arena, everything is EPIC-ALLY blown out of proportion.

On foods to avoid in my mind is anything that cause YOU digestive issues etc. Having fat pre workout has been a no no but that comes back to possible stomach upset if taken to close to exercise. Just have what sits best with you :)

Cheers Max...

"On foods to avoid in my mind is anything that cause YOU digestive issues etc."

It would appear the answer once again is common sense....

Notably I already avoid foods that upset my stomach... And I try to avoid food an hour to two hours before training... if Im peckish Ill have a peice of white bread smeared with peanut butter before heading off to the gym....