• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlifts with a 5 foot bar?

Rob87

Does anyone see any issues performing deadlifts with a 5 foot bar? I have an olympic bar which I use for squats, bench etc however Iwould prefer to leave that on the rack so I can quickly rotate between lifts

It would depend on what it is rated at (not much if it's 5 foot I'm tipping) and what you plan on deadlift.

I have a bar that is about 5 foot and I can make it bend with my own hands. Hardly ideal for deadlifting 150kg+

Cheers, I am a beginner so it should be ok for now. It was only an old hand me down from a family friend so I have no idea of the quality, although it seems more solid than my old 6ft bar so I will stick with it until I get stronger. Thanks

Should be fine, how much you dead lifting??

I just bought a 6 foot bar for $50 including collars, deadlifted over 150kg, and it has no issues what so ever, if I ever get strong enough to bend it I will spend more and buy a better bar, till then $50 will do me just fine.

Then again I also use 20 year old cast plates, but they are just as heavy as new shiny ones:)

Of course this would be different if I was planning to compete, then you need to spend the money and buy the right gear, but training for yourself at home who cares;)

Don't be lazy. Move the oly bar out of the rack. When it comes to growing, don't be lazy.

Stuff that. I agree I hated moving the bar out of the rack to the floor to do deads. I just brought another bar.

Use the 5 foot one until you bend it then get a good Olympic bar.

Thanks for the feedback. I spent a couple of minutes last night rearranging my workout area to make room so I can now use my oly bar. (I only have a 3.2m x 2m area on my front verandah so I have to be creative with space) FYI I am only lifting 80-90kg during my sets at the moment so there is no risk of the bar bending... oh well gotta start somewhere

Mate with that weight the bar will be sweet for a while yet:)

And yes, we all start some where, I was lifting the same only a few months ago, keep at it, and remember it's not a competition:)