• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

calorie intake

Sydking

im getting really confussed about my daily intake or 1400, I want to find my BMR again and work out my maintance and see what 500 below that is,

Can anyone help me with the calcutaions ive tried a few on the net and i dont know how accurate they are,

age 20 84kg and 5 foot 7 i think??

My main convern is when i get down to my goal of 70kg i dont want my maintance to be low, The body gets used to calorie expenditure?

im getting really confussed about my daily intake or 1400, I want to find my BMR again and work out my maintance and see what 500 below that is,

Can anyone help me with the calcutaions ive tried a few on the net and i dont know how accurate they are,

age 20 84kg and 5 foot 7 i think??

My main convern is when i get down to my goal of 70kg i dont want my maintance to be low, The body gets used to calorie expenditure?
There are a number of different equations and calculators you can use to get an ESTIMATE on your calorie requirements.

This is from Emma-Leigh's site and are the equations that I use for my clients and have used for a number of years -

Estimating Requirements
The simplest method of estimating needs is to base your intake on a standard 'calories per unit of weight (usually kilograms)'. Typically this is:
- 25 to 30 kcals/kg/day for normal, healthy individuals with sedentary lifestyles doing little physical activity [11.5-13.5 kcal/pound]
- 30 to 35 kcal/kg/day for those involved in light to moderate activity 3-5 x a week with moderately active lifestyles [13.5-16 kcal/ pound]
- 35 to 40 kcals/kg/day for those involved in vigorous activity and highly active jobs [16-18 kcal/ pound].

There are then a number of more complex formula which calculate BMR based on any number of variables including sex, height, weight, age, and lean mass. This BMR is then multiplied by an 'activity variable' to give TEE. To go over a few BMR calculations:
1/ Harris-Benedict formula:
Men: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
Women: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]
This formula is particularly inaccurate - It was derived from studies using lean males in a cold lab many years ago (1919). It is notorious for overestimating calorie requirements, especially in those that are overweight and inactive. IF YOU WANT AN ACCURATE READING, DON'T USE IT!

2/Mifflin-St Jeor:
For MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
For WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -161
This formula was developed in the 1990s. It is much more accurate than the above as it is more realistic in todays lifestyle settings.... However, it still does not take into consideration the difference in metabolic rate as a consequence of high BF%. Thus, once again, it also overestimates needs in highly obese individuals. So - once again, if you use it, be warned it can OVERESTIMATE your needs.

3/Katch-McArdle:
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100
This is considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean and who have a good understanding of their bodyfat %.

To then convert to a TEE you multiply the BMR from the above equations by an Activity Factor
1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light exercise or sports 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderate exercise or sports 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)
(note: these activity factors generally include a TEF of ~ 15% - which is an average mixed diet).

Just How Accurate are they?
Unfortunately, many people rely on these generic 'online calculations' to calculate how many calories they need... And although they can (sometimes) give rough ball-park figures, they are rarely accurate. Most people OVERESTIMATE their activity factor, and UNDERESTIMATE their bodyfat - and end up eating TOO MUCH. So - you are better off starting with these 'rough figures' and then monitoring your weight/ measurements for 2-4 weeks. IF your weight is stable/ measurements are stable, then you have likely found your maintenance intake.

Using the Above to Recalculate Based on Goals
Taking the above, you will then need to DECREASE or INCREASE intake based on your goals of INCREASING mass or DECREASING mass. For this - instead of using 'generic calorie amounts' (eg: 500 cals/ day to lose weight) I would recommend starting with adding/ subtracting based on a % of your maintenance - reason being is that the effect of a given calorie amount on an individual is going to be markedly different based on their size/ total calorie intake.... For example - subtracting 500 cals/ day from a 115# females 1500 total intake is 1/3rd of her total cals but 500 cals/ day for a 215# male on 3500 total intake is only 1/6th of their total... And it will result in markedly different effects on their energy levels and weight loss.

Generally speaking:
-> to ADD weight: ADD 10-20% calories to your total from above
-> to LOSE weight: SUBTRACT 10-20% calories from your total from above
Then monitor your results and adjust as required.

Emma-Leigh

3.5k cals hmmmm. my dexa scan results said eat 1900 per day and expend 2000 from exersis per week,

even if i ate 3k a day i would pile on the weight like no tomorrow.

ill be reporting back in a month with my 1400 per day and see the results.

Just started my morning HIIT from fadis thread and 1 week into the Begingers weights program.

Feeling good none the less.

3.5k cals hmmmm. my dexa scan results said eat 1900 per day and expend 2000 from exersis per week,

Just started my morning HIIT from fadis thread and 1 week into the Begingers weights program.

1400 for an 84kg 20 year old would be extremely low I would have thought.

I'm only a bit more than 10kgs heavier than you and am losing weight on 3700 calories.

1400 is unnecessarily low. I was 'dieting' on 1900+ when i got down to 82.5kgs at ~5%BF ;)

Read over my post and calculate it :)

Last edited:
will do, cheers i know is seems low and i do quite a bit of exersise. ill re calc and see how i go.

PS
I train at home and my barbell is a zig zag one. Is oit ok to squat with this? a lil uncomy but im used to it, And Is a squat rack just for satfey at big weights? im only doing 50kg

ok its been 4 weeks at 1400 a day, ive been doing the Beginers weights program 3 times a week aswell,

i droped 3 kg but the alst 2 weeks ive got back to 87KG. Im getting strogner and shoulders are getting even bigger, chest aswell i can see some mucle defintion comming through, I gather i can put on lean mucle quite easy,

But im doing the opposite to my goal, im thinking of dropping down to 1200 cal per day. But this seems darn drazy and not needed.

Also due to achillies tenodnits i cant run/skip, so a deficit is a must.

I dont want to stop lifting, and im sure i dont need to stop. but im struggling.

ok its been 4 weeks at 1400 a day, ive been doing the Beginers weights program 3 times a week aswell,

i droped 3 kg but the alst 2 weeks ive got back to 87KG. Im getting strogner and shoulders are getting even bigger, chest aswell i can see some mucle defintion comming through, I gather i can put on lean mucle quite easy,

But im doing the opposite to my goal, im thinking of dropping down to 1200 cal per day. But this seems darn drazy and not needed.

Also due to achillies tenodnits i cant run/skip, so a deficit is a must.

I dont want to stop lifting, and im sure i dont need to stop. but im struggling.
Unless you are a 65kg woman, why would you want to drop your calories down to 1200?

You should start over again and begin on 2400 calories. After 2 weeks adjust it (up or down 10%) depending on your progress. You are under eating.

The weight is just not budging at this level of cals, and i can only dread what 2400 cals will do to me. Im Going to give it a go tho, Ill report back in tw0 weeks at 2400 and see how i go.

P.s ive been tracking cals with my fitness pal, Dident like fitday. There so many out there i just want a basic tracker,

Also what macro breakdown should i have at 2400 cals. 1.5 per weight P so 130 grams

Fat?

and then fill rest with carbs

New macros are P 217 F 73 C 168,

I was only tracking cals last time, i will try hit all macros this time round. Theres no real good macro tracker that i can find, Any sugestions?

New macros are P 217 F 73 C 168,

I was only tracking cals last time, i will try hit all macros this time round. Theres no real good macro tracker that i can find, Any sugestions?

I use calorie king on my laptop. Gotta pay for it but it's the best one I have used. Others may know of some good or better free ones though.

One thing that I have found is that when you up your calories, even if it is under maintenance, I put on a kg or 2 the day or so after. Probably due to the extra food in your guts and extra carbs, then the weight starts going down again. So don't freak out if you put on a couple kgs and decide to cut Cals back down to 1000. Give it a some time for your weight to stabilise then start dropping.

I use calorie king on my laptop. Gotta pay for it but it's the best one I have used. Others may know of some good or better free ones though.

One thing that I have found is that when you up your calories, even if it is under maintenance, I put on a kg or 2 the day or so after, probably due to the extra food in your guts and extra carbs, then the weight starts going down again. So don't freak out if you put on a couple kgs and decide to cut Cals back down to 1000. Give it a some time for your weight to stabilise then start dropping.

calorie king is free...

MFP works fine for tracking macros for me. There must be something up with the accuracy of your logging before as there is no way you could put on 3kg from 84-87 eating 1400/day. I'm 77kg and cut weight averaging 2400ish/day using Max Brenner's above guidelines for macros. Those new macros look like a much better start.

MFP works fine for tracking macros for me. There must be something up with the accuracy of your logging before as there is no way you could put on 3kg from 84-87 eating 1400/day. I'm 77kg and cut weight averaging 2400ish/day using Max Brenner's above guidelines for macros. Those new macros look like a much better start.

Yeah I Agree 1400 Cals is borderline starvation. I've uped calories to 3900 for my cut to slow the weight loss down a bit more.

sorry, I'm lazy :p MFP = myfitnesspal. Iphone & Android apps and it's free. Doesn't give macro %'s breakdown and the reporting isn't as good as fitday or calorieking but it does the job for me. And a pretty good social community thing over there as well.