• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

HELP getting dad in shape

Tregs

Please help lol
I have convinced my old man to hit the gym to loose weight an gain some muscle its taking a very long time to get him to hit the gym today was his first time. He just did the same as me today but i guess he will have a different program than me. So im asking all you well informed people out there to help my dad out i know his diet will come up but we are goin to start working on that its a bit hard as he wont eat veg.
so any help with a program and any other advice will be great. This is what he did today

by the way he is 48 weighs about 102kg and is 1.63 m or 5.3 feet
warm up bike 5 min
bench press 3-8 @ 40kg
bent row 3-8 @ 70kg
shoulder press 3-8 @ 7 plates
dead lift 3-8 @ 30kg

squats 3-8 @ 40kg
sl leg press 3-10 @ 8 plates
calf raise 3-10 @ 12 plates

cable pec fly 3-8 @ 35kg
chin ups 3-5 @ 60kg assisted
bd curls 3-8 @ 10kg

cool down treadmill 10 min

I cant think of any thing else at the moment but feel free to ask questions .

thanks Tregs

Too much for an old man imo

Stick to 4 or 5 basic compounds and cover legs, upper body push, upper body pull

Too much full stop not just for a 48 yr old, and he is not that old :D. Do what the burgermeister says.

Ease him into it if he is having trouble getting started. Work on his mobility for warmups over a bike. 5 minutes of dynamic stretching/movements will do a world of good for his (most likely) stiff and tight hips, ankles, shoulders and upper spine.

Firstly, at 48 if he hasn't been engaged in physical activity for a while please get him to a GP for risk stratification. A clearance is always good, and there's no harm checking BP/Cholesterol/Trigs etc.

Secondly, start off slow. If he is carrying a lot of weight (102kg at 5'3) is pretty big unfortunately. The joints won't be happy with this.

Good to see you're looking out for him. He really needs to be less than 80kg for that height. (Irrespective of muscle mass - he isn't a bodybuilder by what I can see). Honestly Tregs, get him to start off slow. Compound movements, some non-weight bearing cardio to start with (until he builds strength, endurance, stamina).

Also, you can disregard anything said if you're not working on his diet. Seriously, he won't eat veg? He's a grown man. I'm not saying go from his current habits and do a complete 180, but his eating habits NEED to change. Replace any in between snacks like pies/pastries/biscuits/sweets/shit with 2 protein shakes if need be (whole foods are preferential, but so long as he is getting 3 solid nutrient dense meals in - 2 protein shakes to stave off any cravings will help - particularly if he's a sweet tooth).

Have a look in the beginner bodybuilding thread, there is some great advice in there. I recommend he does a full body workout focusing on compound lifts 3 times a week.

Squat 3x8
Benchpress 3x8
shoulder press 3x8
deadlifts/bent rows/wide grip chins

I alternated between these, I did deads Mon/Fri and swapped between rows and wide chins each Wednesday, sometimes I had the energy to do both towards the end of the 3 months. I also alternated dips and barbell curls at the end each work out.

The odds of him doing chins or dips at his size and training level are quite slim.

Also, if you do squat, bench, press, deads there is no elbow flexion exercise

thanx for all the advice guys he doesnt really eat sweets or snack on bad foods or eat take away i will get him to keep a record of what he eats in a week and ill post it up here for more advice.
can i guys give me a good routine to start him on ? he said today felt good didnt really wear him out he has been a really hard worker and can take alot give it 6 months an he will be out lifting me lol but the reality is he is gettin older and i want him around for a long time to come. thats why i asked the question here i want trutful answers and the best ways to go about this

i fear if he doesnt start seeing changes within a month or 2 he will give up so i will be pushing hard to keep him going
1 more thing all the weight is belly fat his legs are solid an arms are good aswell if that makes sense

thanks again guys

Last edited:
I think the PTC beginner program would be fine.

If he has trouble with mobility for squats or deads you can do box squats, squats off the pins in the rack or goblet squats. Then rack pulls or just the top 2/3 of the deadlift.

I would start of very easy, if he was reluctant to do it, doing heaps of exercises with make him quit pretty quick.

I would start with full body 2 times a week, with no more than 3 exercises each workout. You want to keep the workouts short and sharp. after a while if he is keen add in a 3rd day.

Also using the big compound exercise he will see big strength gains fast so that should be good motivation to stick at it longer.

I would start of with
Mon
Squat
Bench
Chins

Thu
Squat
Ohp
Chins

He will not be able to do many chins at all but 3 sets of as many as he can do will be fine.

The other exercises i would start of with 3x10 while he is learning the movements then after a few weeks go to 3 sets of 5.

If he is enjoying it after a while you can add a 3rd day with deads in place of squats.

That would be my plan anyway.

Whatever exercise you choose I would make sure that the first two weeks are spent doing that routine every day, just learning.

After you are happy with his style and form, then start progressing with weight and intensity of work.

One to two sets of twelve easy rep's

Walking should also be the other activity.

Diet, don't worry about that yet.

After two weeks he'll be itching to work harder, but you have to make sure he is performing exercise properly to proceed.