• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with my (some-what) clean bulk diet

Zink

First of all, sorry for repeating what thousands have posted before me.
I just thought I would try to get a more customised response to my personal diet.

I'm currently sitting at 72kg, low b/f, lifting 5 times per week.
When followed, this diet helps me put on 2+ kg in the first week and roughly 1kg every additional week (the uneducated teenage me taking supplements while eating poorly put on about 10kg over a long period but after that I hit a wall, I did my research and discovered the power - and cost effectiveness - of just eating properly)

2am (if I can be bothered, usually only if I've done squats or deads that day)
1 scoop Muscle Milk protein with full cream milk

6am - Quick shake before work
2 scoops Muscle Milk Protein
300 ml Full cream milk
3/4 cup of Oat bran
1 egg

9am
1 can of tuna
1 x 200g Ski D'Lite yoghurt

11.30am
1/2 x Roast Chicken with skin
250g packet of frozen mixed veggies (brocolli, carrot and cauliflower)

2pm
1 x 200g Ski D'Lite yoghurt

4pm (pre workout)
50g unsalted peanuts
300ml milk

6.30pm (post workout)
300 ml Full cream milk
1 tablespoon of sugar

7.30pm Dinner
Either meat & veggies
or meat and pasta (or all 3)

300 ml Full cream milk
2 eggs

I'm also constantly eating between meals - usually Peanuts and Glasses of milk. All up this equals roughly 4000 cal, 250g+ Protein, 250+ Carbs

The only other sups I touch are creatine and the occasional pre-workout for big lifting days.

Does anyone have any major improvements? (Sure there is always room for improvement but atm this diet is based around foods I can eat easily)

Thanks,
Zink

Keep it simple..

Meat, veg, potato 4-5 times per day. Use milk to increase cals where required.

Meat = steak, chicken, fish etc
Veg = Brocolli, beans, carrot etc
Potato = Sweet or white. (can use rice also)

Prob to prevent going catabolic because of such a long time between night time meal and next morning meal....

You just ruined the lesson Adrian! You owe me free equipment now.

Now since you answered for him I will just post what I was going to.

You will not go catabolic over night. You last meal will still be digesting for probably a good 6 hours into your sleep. Getting uninterrupted sleep is actually more important than going catabolic anyways. You ruin your repairing time by stopping it, getting up, eating and then having to go back to sleep. Sleep is king for recovery not a little extra food that you could ingest in the day time anyways. So you wont go catabolic and quality sleep is really important so a night meal is a bad idea.

Cheers guys. re. the 2am shake - I never set an alarm for it, I usually have to pee during the night anyway so I have a shake pre-prepared just in case. I read that Casein lasts about 5 hours so I just want to make sure my body has a constant protein source :)

Cheers guys. re. the 2am shake - I never set an alarm for it, I usually have to pee during the night anyway so I have a shake pre-prepared just in case. I read that Casein lasts about 5 hours so I just want to make sure my body has a constant protein source :)
You have some reading to do. http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/153...ng-post-workout-anabolic-window-gi-myths.html FYI you are getting a constant supply of protein and it is totally unnecessary to have that shake.

On your diet, IMO it looks quite boring and lacks a variety of food types. Meaning you could be low in certain micronutrients and fibre. Any particular reason you are having 6 meals a day (tip read that link before you answer)?

Last edited:
what are the macros on your planned diet? At 72kg depending on metabolism and activity during your work I would aim for 3000cals to put on weight with minimum 1g/lb protein and about .4g/lb fat. Fill the rest with what you want.

You have some reading to do. http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/153...ng-post-workout-anabolic-window-gi-myths.html FYI you are getting a constant supply of protein and it is totally unnecessary to have that shake.

On your diet, IMO it looks quite boring and lacks a variety of food types. Meaning you could be low in certain micronutrients and fibre. Any particular reason you are having 6 meals a day (tip read that link before you answer)?

Man everyone is so interested in the 2am shake! As I said, I only have it if I wake up, and if I feel hungry.

I eat 6 meals a day because that is what works for me. It's extremely hard for me to gain weight and as stated in my first post, I was at a point where I was training and eating less, and not gaining weight. I read your post and you clearly know your facts, but surely my scales are telling me what I'm doing is working? If I am eating too much, wouldn't I just excrete the excess? 6 + meals a day is very common and pretty much the staple bulk diet so it must be working on everyone else too?

I also eat between meals, and replace meals on certain days with different foods. I take multi-vitamins and eat fruit etc, that diet is what I base my daily routine on.

Cheers

Last edited:
what are the macros on your planned diet? At 72kg depending on metabolism and activity during your work I would aim for 3000cals to put on weight with minimum 1g/lb protein and about .4g/lb fat. Fill the rest with what you want.

I'm a poor little ectomorph. I eat about 4000 cals, 250g protein, 200g carbs and I haven't calculated the fat but I'm sure there's plenty. I should have all bases covered hopefully, it seems to be working anyway!

Cheers

Meal frequency HAS NOTHING to do with energy expenditure, body composition or the like. It is your TOTAL CALORIES & MACRONUTRIENT intake which determines that.

500 calories eaten in 1 meal or split into 2 x 250 calorie meals is STILL 500 CALORIES. No difference.

As I said, if you find that eating more ENABLES you to consume the required amount of calories you need then that is fine. But it offers NO OTHER BENEFITS. Your daily nutrition is all that matters.

You having your 2am shake will only continue to make you hungry at 2am due to the ghrelin response. No difference at any other time of the day also. It does not mean you are catabolic etc etc.

Continue to meet your calorie and macronutreint requirements and you will succeed. FYI, all my daily calories are consumed in 2 meals ;) Note - I used to do 6-8 meals a day for no apparent reason.

Cheers for the info! Yeah There's no way I can down my daily calories in just a few meals so I'll have to keep it spread out. No biggie, it doesn't impact my work schedule at all.

Thanks again.

If you haven't calculated the fat amount then how do you know how many calories you are ingesting per day?

If you haven't calculated the fat amount then how do you know how many calories you are ingesting per day?
This is how -
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDK9QqIzhwk&ob=av2n]Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer - YouTube[/ame]

I looked up the calories online and filled out a table I made when I first started.. It contained Protein, Carbs, and overall Calories. This was before I knew how to calculate calories using the other three values. Is there a need to pick on every minor detail? The situation has been sorted. Anyway if my Protein and Carbs were at the correct level and my calorie total was 4000 then the fat must obviously be high enough to fill gap.

Knowing what your Protein, Carb and FAT intake is not picking at minor details. If you don't know exactly how much you are eating or know how to work out how much you are eating, how do you go about adjusting it?

As it has been pointed out protein and FATS are ESSENTIAL nutrients and their daily intake should be known and there for tracked. We are trying to help you out and accuritely tracking ALL your macronutrient and calorie intake is just a part of it.

Take the advice in the consecutive manner it was given and that will only help you in your progress. Doing something half-assed only leads to half-assed results. :)

Good luck for the rest of your 'bulk' :)

On those numbers above, you consume 244g of fat. WHich seems way off to me. If you want more advice, I would recommend using one of the various calorie counting websites to get accurate macronutrient data for your proposed diet.

Of just hit your minimum protein and fat targets and aim for your 4000cals. At 72kg, unless you have a very active job, I can't see you burning 3500cals/day though.

I'm aware of all that and have been reading all your threads and also the BodyEvolution blog ;)

I'm here to learn and am taking it all in, I just get irritated at the way some users go about correcting people (mainly others, not myself). It seems the trend is to have an attitude like 'I know all about this topic, you're a beginner therefore a 'bro' in my eyes so I will ridicule you to let you know who's boss'.

I'm aware that fats are essential and as I said I had sorted out my diet already, and thanked you for the info so I didn't want to revisit the subject and have to justify myself to dave, I'd rather move forward and concentrate on lifting and eating.

This thread is DONEEE :)