• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exercise Essentials, Part 1: Squat

neliex

Exercise Essentials, Part 1: Squat

The squat would have to be one of the most famous exercises in all of weight training excercises out there. It is probably considered the king of all exercises howerver it would also have to be one of the most misunderstood and underutilized exercises. Â If you want to build large amounts of muscle mass then the squat is the perfect exercise.Everyone should be including some kind of squat variation in their programming,
What is a squat?

The squat techique is rather simple , we do it all the time when we sit down.. Â There are many different variations of the squat technique , but really the squat is rather simple.
Why squat?

The squat the king of all exercises, it's a great lower body muscle builder in existence, many consider it a quadriceps dominant exercise, however the squat doesn't stop there , it hits every major muscle group in the lower body including the quadriceps (front thigh), glutes (butt), hamstrings (back thigh), gastrocnemius and soleus (both calf muscles), as well as many stabilizing muscles.  As well as also hitting the lower back, abdominals, and many upper body stabilizers, depending on the method of loading
So that explains why many consider The squat the king of all exercises . Â Because the squat recruits so many muscle groups, making it a great exercise for fat loss programs. Another plus for Squats is that they make some fantastic looking legs…
Types Of Squats

There are so many squat variations out there, I would be crazy if I said I could list them all. Â Here is a list of several of the more common and useful varieties.

• Back Squat: Hold bar on the back of your neck or your upper back.
  • Front Squat: Hold the bar along the clavicles.
  • Sissy Squat: Dumbbell held behind legs while the heels are lifted off the ground. Then, lean back while keeping the torso area straight.
  • Jump Squat: Jump off the floor when going back up from the squat.
  • Overhead Squat: Hold bar overhead with a wide arm grip.
  • Zercher Squat: Hold bar on the inside of your elbows.
  • Box Squat: Sit on something, like a bench, at the bottom of the squat.
  • Hack Squat: Barbell is held just behind the legs.
  • Single-leg Squat: Raise one leg up while squating.
Aren’t Squats Dangerous?

There is a myth ciruculating around gyms that Squats are dangerous. Like any exercise squats are perfectly safe as long you perform them correctly and use the right form and technique.
Performing a squat correctly

While the techniques for each squat a little different , there is a few core things that are important to to remember about form.

• Push through your heels - Your weight should always been on your heels, not the balls of your feet. Â Keep your feet planted, push through your heel and don't come up on your toes.
  • Keep your back neutral – Make sure that your lower back doesn't round forward. Â If it does, decrease the load or the depth (again). Â
  • Don’t look up – Keep you head aligned with the angle of your spine.
Squat Instructional Video (Via Bret Contreras)

Below is his squat demonstration video
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDa34zWwMgA]Squat Technique - YouTube[/ame]
Summary

points on squats

• The squat is the king of all exercises it's considered the best overall lower-body muscle builder.
  • You should be doing at least one form of squat in your training program,
  • Always use correct form and technique

Poor choice of footwear
Excessive hip tuck
Bouncing at the top

I am definitely with you on the hip tuck. Foot wise he may have flat feet and that may give him that internal rotation look or he has tight calves which could create both issues (pronation and the.beginning of minor heel lift).

Lots of things can go wrong and can be quite easily fixed if one masters firstly; squatting without any weight.

I you cannot squat properly without any weight, you have no business squatting with a bar on your back.

More often than not issues can be traced back to lack of strength issues which in turn creates a lack of flexibility in the muscle.

Weak hamstring/glut... hip tuck.
Weak adductor; internal rotation of feet

First master squatting without weight then master;
Goblet squat
Front squat
Back squat
There are certain exercises that can be employed to strengthen those muscles that are used in the squat.

Zercher squats are silly imo because by the time you actually need to do extra work in that area (intermediate - advanced lifters) you would have to use such weight you would be limited by how much you can hold. Zercher squats are bad for people who value their backs, their elbows, and their sanity. Why not just do front squats?

Can someone who knows what a good squat looks like please post a video? Interested to see a "correct" squat and compare it to mine so I can start figuring out what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. Thanks :)

If you are unsure as to how to squat, use other exercises.

If you can squat, do it.

If you cannot, you don't need to.

Some cock knuckle (celebrity) gets on the net and says atg squat is king, anyone who doesn't is a pussy, so his tribe starts thumping there fucking hairless chests and start squatting supposidly ATG until they spit blood while calling everyone else supplement slave split using pussy bodybuilders.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SQUAT

There are other exercises that will build strength and size safer and more efficiently.

But like any exercise, it need to be done correctly.
An artist does not become an artist by merely handing him some paint brushes.

If you can squat and if you can keep squatting bazza for many years, you are either smart or you are a natural, which I think is both in your case.

Zercher squats are silly imo because by the time you actually need to do extra work in that area (intermediate - advanced lifters) you would have to use such weight you would be limited by how much you can hold. Zercher squats are bad for people who value their backs, their elbows, and their sanity. Why not just do front squats?

Zercher squats are far more of a deadlift assistance exercise than a squat exercise. The upperback and core strength required to maintain a straight back are great for developing a solid pull. Zerchers have never effected my elbows at all and even my biceps got used to holding the bar after a 8 week cycle. They're also a strongman staple, how else do you imitate a stone lift in gym?

Some cock knuckle (celebrity) gets on the net and says atg squat is king, anyone who doesn't is a pussy, so his tribe starts thumping there fucking hairless chests and start squatting supposidly ATG until they spit blood while calling everyone else supplement slave split using pussy bodybuilders.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SQUAT

There are other exercises that will build strength and size safer and more efficiently.

Yeah I'm going to disagree here too. Sure, if you can't squat due to injury or other medical reasons like spinal conditions then I'm not saying you have to squat but the actual squat movement (front, back or otherwise) is a perfectly natural movement for any human being and those who say they "can't squat" without a real medical reason are more likely to be suffering from some sort of muscular imbalance brought on by a unhealthy modern lifestyle.

Nothing gives you a stronger overall physique than some form of squatting, deadlifting or power cleans, all of which share some form of squat in them.

Last edited: