• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exercise Essentials, Part 1: Squat

cb64f125-4875-36b0.jpg

Tell this fellow.
I know it's an extreme example, but nevertheless form dictates design.

As I said squat if you can, if you cannot....there is more to strength than a "deep knee bend".

But I am the first to acknowledge that the squat is the single best exercise, I've been telling people for the last 15 years, the squat has had a lot of scrutiny over those years.

Done correctly it works a lot of muscle, so it stands to reason that done poorly and over many years can also do a lot of harm, not to mention soft tissue damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok, if we keep our argument to the "average person" squats are still the best. I prefer not to call most general exercises dangerous as well, ignorance is dangerous, not the exercise. Anybody can teach themselves to squat properly, it just takes research, time and patience. I was an awful squatter once, quarter depth and all, but I went back to the drawing board and rebuilt it from the ground up. As long as you have internet access and a squat rack then you have no excuse.

cb64f125-4875-36b0.jpg

Tell this fellow.
I know it's an extreme example, but nevertheless form dictates design.

And it also could be said that there is no reason that this man can't squat. He'll be limited in the amount he could load a squat but I'm sure he could lift something safely. The squat is a natural movement for all humans.

Zercher squats are far more of a deadlift assistance exercise than a squat exercise. The upperback and core strength required to maintain a straight back are great for developing a solid pull. Zerchers have never effected my elbows at all and even my biceps got used to holding the bar after a 8 week cycle. They're also a strongman staple, how else do you imitate a stone lift in gym?

There are far better deadlift assistance exercises like good mornings with a safety squat bar. As for strongman, good luck doing 160kg zercher squats. Just because something has never affected you doesn't mean that it's a good idea!

Also you only need to squat if you're a powerlifter or play a sport that requires full use of the posterior chain (rugby for example), I found leg press to benefit my cycling far more than squatting. I still squat though because it's awesome

There are far better deadlift assistance exercises like good mornings with a safety squat bar. As for strongman, good luck doing 160kg zercher squats. Just because something has never affected you doesn't mean that it's a good idea!

There are plenty of vids on YouTube of Zercher's loaded to over 160kg.

For instance:
[YOUTUBE]0u87yOHTX_c[/YOUTUBE]

~200kgx1 and 100kgx16 for those who struggle with lbs ---> kg

That doesn't make it a smart idea!

Your logic sucks. Have you ever even given Zerchers a go? I ran them 4x a week for a month in the place of back squats when I was having shoulder troubles. Guess what? Both my squat and deadlift went up. I can zercher squat and lift 160, no arm problems whatsoever.

Why would I ever give zerchers a go if I thought they were a bad idea xD
If you like them, then fair enough but in my eyes (and a lot of other trainers, including wendler and rippletits) they just seem like a silly idea

Why would I ever give zerchers a go if I thought they were a bad idea xD
If you like them, then fair enough but in my eyes (and a lot of other trainers, including wendler and rippletits) they just seem like a silly idea

I'm a pledged Wendlerite and but also consider him to be unnecessarily harsh on Zercher squats. His arguments are that you shouldn't do them because GMs are better but as I pointed out, if you can't do normal GMs and don't have a specialty bar then Zerchers are your best option.