• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Diet - struggling with weight/muscle gain

rez_erection

Hoping for a bit of advice, been struggling to put on weight and increase's at the gym, had the time to type out my diet into excel using calorie king for most of the info. This is what I eat on a basic day, have been eating more though the past week but haven't been at the gym due to injury. I train 3 days a week (beginners program) and also play basketball 3 games a week (40 min games). From what I see I am short calories, what macro counts should I be aiming for to put on muscle? Does the cardio come into account?
No real end goals, just to putting on muscle and getting stronger. Current lifts bench 67.5kg, squat 100kg, dead 120kg. Im around 5"11 ~72.5kg.

Vegies are a mix of broccoli/cauliflour/beans/sweet potato/peas/corn. Big bowl full, not sure of the correct weight of it.

Have struggled at the gym last week, haven't hit the reps I have been getting and weight I have been moving has gone down slightly, feel like I have hit a bit of a wall the past few weeks.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Diet is low in calories for adding weight so no surprise your not putting on weight. I'm cutting on more than that.

Basically you need to get more calories in.

First aim for 3000 calories a day. If not putting on weight go up another 300 and so on.

Diet is low in calories for adding weight so no surprise your not putting on weight. I'm cutting on more than that.

Basically you need to get more calories in.

First aim for 3000 calories a day. If not putting on weight go up another 300 and so on.

See above and up your fat content about 20g or so. Basketball 3 nights a week makes it hard to grow you may even need 3500.

I can almost guarantee it; cut out the three games of basketball/week and you're sure to add both, numbers in the weight room as well as numbers on the scale. Are you prepared to cut something, some activity out in order to slow down your metabolism slightly?

The above was but one solution, (amongst others) to rectify the problem below:
Diet - struggling with weight/muscle gain

Fadi.

Last edited:
Add a FAT SHAKE (see my Training Diary entry, Page 7) to each night before bed, after basketball training (if that suits).

Watch your numbers rise... ;)

Here it is: 500 mls of organic milk (342 cals / 16 gms protein / 20.6 gms fat / 24 gms carb)
+ 3 scoops of any Protein powder (~300 cals / ~46 gms protein / ~4 gms fat / ~4 gms carb)
+ 2 tablespoons Almond butter (280 cals / 9.2 gms protein / 23 gms fat / 6.2 gms carb)
+2 tablespoon Chia seeds (140 cals / 6.2 gms protein / 10 gms fat)

TOTALs = ~1000 cals / 77 gms protein / 57gms fat / 34 gms carb

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply's, yes when I typed it all out I instantly realized I was short calories as I thought I was meant to be aiming for around the 3000+ mark.

Switching to full cream, almonds and some low fat greek yoghurt it works out to around 3300cals, 113fat, 359p, 185.9c. Should the carbs be a bit higher, have been eating 3/4-1cup of rice usually the past week. Should I be worried about the saturated fat content of the milk? Any good info I can read on fats?

Fadi - I have been debating cutting back to 1 game a week or even cutting it out for a few months to see how it goes, I enjoy it a lot though and was hoping to work it in somehow, eating additional on game days to cover the losses? I dont know how it works or what to aim at.

I seem to have a lot of questions, sent Max of an e-mail, hopefully getting him to do up a guide/program with counts for me to work off.

Hey mate cutting cardio obviously does work to help slow your metabolism but if your like me and love sports and doing some form of cardio you just gotta eat heaps to make sure your covering what your burining off. Im only 58kg and i eat around 3600 cals a day and im only just gaining at the moment. I find natural peanut butter a good way to help with fat and calorie intake also.

Fadi - I have been debating cutting back to 1 game a week or even cutting it out for a few months to see how it goes, I enjoy it a lot though and was hoping to work it in somehow, eating additional on game days to cover the losses? I dont know how it works or what to aim at.

I seem to have a lot of questions, sent Max of an e-mail, hopefully getting him to do up a guide/program with counts for me to work off.

If Max is going to be looking after you then my advice to you would be to stick to Max's advice, be it suitable or not (at this point in time). Why do I say that? Because there's nothing worse than committing to Max's program then listening to what I have to say and to what he, she, and the other one has to say. Confusion is not what you want right now but a seriously solid solution. So please listen to Max's advice and follow it to the letter.

I was going to put my two cents in based on my own experience in gaining weight, but I'd rather reserve my comments to myself for the time being and let Max do his professional job with you. I wish you all the very best indeed.

Fadi.

If Max is going to be looking after you then my advice to you would be to stick to Max's advice, be it suitable or not (at this point in time). Why do I say that? Because there's nothing worse than committing to Max's program then listening to what I have to say and to what he, she, and the other one has to say. Confusion is not what you want right now but a seriously solid solution. So please listen to Max's advice and follow it to the letter.

I was going to put my two cents in based on my own experience in gaining weight, but I'd rather reserve my comments to myself for the time being and let Max do his professional job with you. I wish you all the very best indeed.

Fadi.
Fadi, you sir are a scholar. I certainly do not wish to stop you from having your opinion. I've got much respect for it.

Rez, I just replied to your email :)

FYI, saturated fat is NOT BAD. Many hormones require Saturated Fats for production/function etc. God I'm the Saturated Fat king LOL. Trans Fats are the ones to limit.

FYI, saturated fat is NOT BAD. Many hormones require Saturated Fats for production/function etc. God I'm the Saturated Fat king LOL. Trans Fats are the ones to limit.
It’s very refreshing indeed to see a professional person who does not tow the industries’ deceptive lines/lies and who does not sing to its health destructive tune of blaming saturated fats, (the most stable of all fats indeed) of being the devil and the cause of our ill cardiovascular health.

Max, people like you Sir is what the ignorant population needs to counteract the scare mongering and misleading campaigns touted by giant manufactures that are (I must say) can only succeed when ignorance about nutrition abounds.

We need more Max Brenners to balance the scale in favour of health over profit. Great work!

Fadi.

Last edited:
I see no reason to give up the game you enjoy.
If you're referring to my comment, than I do see a reason, hence I made that particular comment. Let me explain...

There are many hard gainers who eat like a horse (or two) yet fail miserably to pack on the beef. Here, we may look at not just what the person is eating/drinking, but at what he or she is actually digesting/assimilating. So let's say we've taken care of the quantity as well as the quality of calories consumed. And we've insured that there is a healthy gut environment where both probiotics and prebiotics are consumed, as well as enough digestive enzymes to take care of all those above mentioned calories.

What if after doing the above, the hard gainer is still finding it hard to pile on the pounds? I mean when one can eat no more or drink shakes no more, then (and that's the context in which I've made my comment) we ask them if it's at all possible to cut down on some activity that may be the cause of holding their weight gain back (due to speeding their metabolism beyond what they’re capable of replenishing through calories alone).

So you see, it's about priorities here. If for example basketball was a priority, then we would obviously look elsewhere to cut down on caloric expenditure. No one would want someone to give up something they enjoy doing/playing etc. But like I said, it's about priority and what you want most, (at least for the time being).

There are times when we have to take a step backwards in order to gain two forward...all in good time.

Fadi.

It’s very refreshing indeed to see a professional person who does not tow the industries’ deceptive lines/lies and who does not sing to its health destructive tune of blaming saturated fats, (the most stable of all fats indeed) of being the devil and the cause of our ill cardiovascular health.

Max, people like you Sir is what the ignorant population needs to counteract the scare mongering and misleading campaigns touted by giant manufactures that are (I must say) can only succeed when ignorance about nutrition abounds.

We need more Max Brenners to balance the scale in favour of health over profit. Great work!

Fadi.
Thank you for the kind words Fadi. Much appreciate it.

Yes it may be a little to ambitiousness, but I would love to be able to de-bunk all the nutritional and health myths that mainstream nutritionists and so called 'bodybuilding gurus' promote. It is my mission to open peoples eyes to the actual facts and not buy in to all the rubbish that is out there.

Fadi you hit the nail on the head with your post, obviously I won't make as much gains playing the amount of bball I do. I have come to a cross road, give up and concentrate on muscle gains, or eat more cals/fats/carbs and be happy with what gains I can achieve if any.

I enjoy reading yours and MB's posts, very insightful compared to what I "hear"