• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Trying to play Sport after long layoff please help!

Topsy76

Hey guys, firstly thankyou to anyone who takes the time to provide some feedback.

I'm Male 6'1, 84kgs - And just completed my first season of Aussie Rules football (never played before at all).

Previously i did nothing... i have always been slim but let my self go eating butloads of takeaway and junk so i decided to try join the local football team, i lost 10kgs in my very simple preperation (just running) but was continuously injured... i tried playing through most injuries just so i could train and make the team but it didn't help much on game day!

Basicly im now trying to make up a routine/excersise plan/diet to get me into the offseason and give playing a real hard crack and get me looking fit! At the moment i look rather slim with a belly i have very long limbs that are good for some things.. but very weak.

I still have some food problems, i cant help but eat junk snacks.. i love to snack!! That is why my diet is a bit random at times...

I have only been doing some of the plan (mainly the cardio/dieting) but yes i still eat junk snacks. i can eat a bag of doritos in a day... almost every day. I guess that is why my diet is so random.

My goal is to stick to this workout/diet routine no exceptions and no more junk snacks!!!
--------------------------------------

MONDAY = Weight Workout

TUESDAY = Cardio

WEDNESDAY = Cardio/Weight workout

THURSDAY = Cardio

FRIDAY = Weight Workout

SATURDAY = Cardio

SUNDAY = REST

CARDIO:

Football Training
Football Game
Basketball
Treadmill run
Oval run + ball skills

WEIGHT WORKOUT:

Dumbell Bench Press - 2 sets

Dumbell Squat - 3 sets

One ab exercise - 2 sets

Dumbell Shoulder press - 3 sets

Barbell Deadlift - 3 sets

Pushup - 2 sets

Standing Dumbbell Upright Row - 3 sets

Standing Dumbell Calf raise - 3 sets

Plank - 2 sets
------------------------------
Biceps - 3 sets 4 times a week
------------------------------

DIET:

Breafast & morning tea - Valia low fat yoghurt/up and go vibe/unsalted peanuts/chewing gum/toast marmite + butter/musli bar all natural fruit + nut.

Lunch - uncle bens egg fried rice + can of tuna

dinner & afternoon tea - Apple/unsalted peanuts/canned peaches natural juice/ Many things... mostly meat + veg, sometimes pasta etc

All this & continuously drinking water up to 3ltrs per day

Also taking 2 multivitamin tablets.

I also take BSC Fat burning PRO - 2 scoops after each weight workout.

Oh, i also take caffine supplements... NO-DOZ/Sugar free V. When im tired or during a game.

I don't goto the gym i have a home gym, just a bench and some free weights.

Thankyou for any information/guidance it is very much appreciated.

Hey Topsy. Welcome. :)

If I read this right, you're wanting to get fitter in the off-season and maybe lose the skinny-fat man tag that you have embodied? ;)

Some simple things: there will be all kinds of advice on your workout program, but I'll keep it simple and say, if you can work 6 days on, 1 day off, each and every week during the off season, then ANY program is better than none. Pick what you like, in cardio or weights, and do that consistently.

Diet-wise, it could be much better all around, but the main thing for you is to stop worrying about 'fat burning' so much, and get more protein into your diet to support the huge amount of work your cardiovascular system is doing and to start adding some quality beef to your frame. You also need to cut out the SUGAR from your diet as much as possible and in return, your cravings for it should eventually subside. It's in just about everything you list in your current diet, in huge quantity, BTW.

Diet points:

*forget LOW FAT yoghurt, which is just a shit marketing way of fooling you into eating HIGH sugar foods. Look for NO/LOW sugar yoghurts only. Forget the fat content in this food.
* Up and Go is a high sugar 'meal' and will do bugger-all for any serious muscle building you want - these commercial packs are for lazy fatties who know nothing about their diets. Go get some quality pure protein (preferably NO-Name from a board sponsor or eBay) and start some self-made shakes for breakfast.
* I assume you listed chewing gum (zero nutrient value) because it shows you are 'dieting' and not consuming junk? If so, use it to ward off sugar cravings, but I am guessing it also stops you snacking, at all? You NEED to eat more - just not the sugar crap you have been. Throw out the gum, and have some eggs, protein pancakes, flavoured tuna, almonds, chicken drumsticks or winglettes you've barbequed yourself, a shake, or a multitiude of other choices instead.
* muesli bars - loaded with sugar, very little protein.
* toast - zero to little nutrient value, beyond a bit of fibre and some simple carbs. And usually, some sugar on top.

Figuring out where that belly is coming from my friend?
Continuing on..

*Uncle Bens Fried Rice - full of sugar and ridiculous amounts of sodium. You use this 'cause you don't make your own? Get in the kitchen ol son!!
*Apples/Canned peaches - guess what? Pure sugar again - very little useful protein here.
*Sugar free V - well, at least its sugar-free. There are far better pre-workout/training drinks available, but you could do a lot worse I suppose. Certainly, V works, but its nothing compared to the level you COULD be working at with any number of other less commercially advertised products.
*I don't know the product BSC Fat Burning Pro well, but I assume its a base metabolic rate enhancer, using the usual 'rush' herbs (not unlike 'V') and lipo-tropics etc? Fine - so your metabolism is running like it's on a speedway. Problem is, you're only feeding it sugar (thus, your belly). What its in dire need of is protein (thus, your skinny frame). This product would be working AGAINST your current stated goals.

Someone else is no doubt penning some more on diet as we speak - read it all and ask more questions.

More protein, and less sugar, are your keys.

P.S. if you don't believe me on the sugar stuff, go thru all those foods you mentioned and add up the total sugar content you are consuming a day (yes, they are carbs, but they are not carbs you should be consuming is the point). I think you'll be shocked.

Last edited:
Hey wow thanks for the quick and honest reply! very much appreciated!

100% correct, i am trying to lose my belly and put SOME meat on my frame ( i don't want much but something atleast lol ) im not trying to become hulk hogan im trying to become a athlete.

Also i choose these foods as i have a very busy life style, the only time i have to prepare a decent meal is dinner, it is very beneficial for me to just have foods i can prepare easily. or just open something :p

Ok so i have done some investigating into the foods i eat and here are the sugar levels etc.

Up and go vibe (its the low sugar one) 12g sugar, sodium 175mg

Vaalia low fat yoghurt 14.9sugar, sodium 80mg

uncle bens egg rice, 380mg sodium 0 sugar

Be natural trail musli bar, 5.7g sugar 57mg sodium

Ok so, im thinking ill have protein shake for breakfast with a apple or some low sugar yoghurt, whilst snacking on peanuts & low sugar musli bar.

Lunch, stick with uncle bens + tuna OR Wholemeal sandwhich with chicken loaf/some high protein meat + low salt/sugar butter.

I can see i need to cut out the up & go and the yoghurt lol

Any ideas for quick foods i can eat on the run?

If you already cook dinner and you work in an office environment it's really not much hassle to cook an extra serve of dinner and put it in tupperware or whatever to microwave the next day. whatever protects you from that pre-packaged stuff...

I will go and try be more conscious of the sugar/sodium levels... im thinking the sandwhich idea is a much better idea than the snack foods it is more of a decent meal than what i have lol. the uncle bens isn't so bad is it? its so damn easy and tasty! really makes me feel full aswell with the tuna and egg also protein! the rice not so good..

If you already cook dinner and you work in an office environment it's really not much hassle to cook an extra serve of dinner and put it in tupperware or whatever to microwave the next day. whatever protects you from that pre-packaged stuff...

Yup i know this, and i do sometimes do it but i cannot all the time.

it is very beneficial for me to just have foods i can prepare easily. or just open something :p

Ok so, im thinking ill have protein shake for breakfast with a apple or some low sugar yoghurt, whilst snacking on peanuts & low sugar musli bar.

Lunch, stick with uncle bens + tuna OR Wholemeal sandwhich with chicken loaf/some high protein meat + low salt/sugar butter.

I can see i need to cut out the up & go and the yoghurt lol

Any ideas for quick foods i can eat on the run?

No need to remove sugar totally from your diet of course, it's just that it's in almost everyone of your meals! Don't cut yoghurt either - in quantity, like milk, it gives you excellent protein. Just get one that's low sugar, so you're not undoing all the good work.

Apologies - I got the Uncle Ben's wrong. I'm surprised there isn't any sweetner in there, and even more surprised at the low sodium content (I was expecting around the usual 800-1000mg per full pack), so well done there. It will still be low in protein though (ie. less than 15gms) - that much I'm confident of. :) You can get the same protein content in just one lonely scoop of ANY protein powder worth it's name, or just 2 and a half boiled eggs.

Speaking of boiled eggs, and your question on quick and easy meals, that's one right there. Boil 3 eggs before you go to bed, whack em in the fridge in a Tupperware container, grab next morning and mix with your tuna for any meal/snack. One high protein meal (about 32+ grams of protein in fact) out of the way.

Protein pancakes are fantastic too - I have made several attempts at making my own, and they have all been absolutely fuggin disgusting. :D So, in desperation for some diet variety, I went out and bought Body Ripped Protein Pancakes, the only ones I can find in the health food stores (Evelyn Faye, et al). They work out about $4 a pack, which makes 6-8 pancakes. At around 10gms protein each, and only 4gms sugar, these work out better than your 'health' bars on every count. Two of these with lemon and cinnamon as a snack is a fantastic little protein hit mid-afternoon, and that lemon/cinnamon combo will do more for actual 'fat burn' (and blunt your blood GI response) than any Hydroxycut supplement will (contact me by PM if you want to know how).

How about home-made egg bakes (10 mins in the oven), protein muffins and a host of other little cook-ups? Recipes for these litter the Web mate.

Shakes are great for extra protein of course, as are little containers of cooked meats (chicken, beef, pork, whatever floats your boat). Cook it up the night before and your meals are ready to go. I do a giant bolognese on the weekends, or a chicken curry (home-made) and that frees up at least 3 lunches for me during the work week. These are easy - I'm a shit cook, and even I can do this lot! And ALL of that tastes better than Doritos. ;)

Finally - consuming less sugar and more protein won't make you Arnie, Lou or any other bodybuilder freak you've ever seen. But it might, if you're committed, shed a few inches from your waist and turn those skinny limbs into decent weapons.

Your training program needs a lot of work. Stick to the basics for maximum benefit. Squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, military press, Pullups, dips etc. A good 3 day beginner program such as Starting Strength would serve you well. Dump the treadmill day for some extra rest. If equipment limits you either invest a little in some new stuff, get a membership at a gym otherwise very soon your lifting will be pointless.

Try reading Lyle McDonald's work about diets and you will be well edumacated on nutrition. You need more food, more calories, more protein and a better plan and macronutrient breakdown.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this mate i really appreciate it.

Yeah im def not trying to look like arnie lol, but i would like some definition for the work im putting in and i really need to lose this belly! I have always been skinny and since my binge i have put on some size but after the cardio i did the only thing remaining was my belly lol so now i just look stupid.

Thanks for the ideas, i do like eggs so i think i could manage some things there :)

As for sandwhiches, what meats can i get at the deli that are decent? Chicken loaf? Turkey breast cuts? ill make a meat sandwhich with low salt butter and wholemeal bread for a snack instead :)

Also what protein should i be looking at? i whent the fat burning one to reduce my belly and i guess it did a bit, but with my plan is it just a waste? or with this new diet will it benefit me?

Also what protein should i be looking at? i whent the fat burning one to reduce my belly and i guess it did a bit, but with my plan is it just a waste? or with this new diet will it benefit me?

Something to understand about fat burning : it's not possible to 'spot reduce' fat deposits using diet or (known) supps. You can only do the basics, which are (very simplified): total calories in - minus total calories burned = +/- weight gain/fat deposits. What your current 'fat burning' protein seeks to do in a rather crude way is to increase your basal metabolic rate, so that your 'total calories burned' rate becomes higher, and thus you are in (or closer to) an overall calorie deficit. Therefore, you'd lose weight/fat. That's the theory.

Your new diet is the key though - focus on that. Use any base protein you like, but avoid the ones that seek to do something other than provide you with protein!

Can I suggest www.proteindirect.com.au ? You don't need WPI - just get whatever flavour you like of WPC (the cheaper one). If you don't like them, try the board sponsors (Bioflex, or others). All of them are good quality and cheap - its just delivery and extras that one may or may not provide that separates them (IMHO).

I'll finish my current one and give this stuff a go :) thanks mate!

Also what meats can i get from the deli for sandwhiches? maybe a chicken loaf/turkey breast sanga for a snack instead ?

I'll finish my current one and give this stuff a go :) thanks mate!

Also what meats can i get from the deli for sandwhiches? maybe a chicken loaf/turkey breast sanga for a snack instead ?

Currently I'm buying a bulk pack of chicken fillets - thigh or breast.

Put it in a big pot with water, a big chunk of ginger (sliced into large pieces), some crushed whole garlic cloves and spring onion/shallots.

Bring to the boil with a bit of salt (not too much) with the lid on. Once it comes to a vigorous roiling boil turn off the heat and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Take out all the chicken and put in the fridge eat with whatever you want :)
effot = minimal.
time = 30-40 mins.

taste - delicious :)

Also this will give you a brilliant stock you can use to cook lots of other things.

Currently I have ~ 2kgs of it in the fridge - I bring it to work with mix of coleslaw and a 2 large handfuls of spinach leaves and sometimes brown rice. I also add some nandos extra hot peri peri sauce for additional flavour.

This morning my wife and I had the chicken with scrambled eggs and spinach.

Currently I'm buying a bulk pack of chicken fillets - thigh or breast.

Put it in a big pot with water, a big chunk of ginger (sliced into large pieces), some crushed whole garlic cloves and spring onion/shallots.

Bring to the boil with a bit of salt (not too much) with the lid on. Once it comes to a vigorous roiling boil turn off the heat and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Take out all the chicken and put in the fridge eat with whatever you want :)
effot = minimal.
time = 30-40 mins.

taste - delicious :)

Also this will give you a brilliant stock you can use to cook lots of other things.

Currently I have ~ 2kgs of it in the fridge - I bring it to work with mix of coleslaw and a 2 large handfuls of spinach leaves and sometimes brown rice. I also add some nandos extra hot peri peri sauce for additional flavour.

This morning my wife and I had the chicken with scrambled eggs and spinach.

Wow, thanks for the awesome idea for dinner!!!
I was thinking more of the sandwhich variety :p as im a snacker it is very easy to make a quick wholemeal sandwhich :)