• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Egg whites from supermarket

DKD

Private Dancer
I checked out frozen egg whites at Woolies today, but didn't buy it.....still thinking it over.

It was a 950gm pack for $6.27. Every 250gm was about 9 egg whites according to the pack, so around 35 egg whites in the whole pack.

You have to consume within 7 days, which kinda pissed me off. I'd probably use around 150-200gm at each meal and chuck 2 whole eggs in there and scramble it up. That means I'd have to eat the thing almost every morning to finish within 7 days, something I'm not keen on.

A few questions:

Are there smaller packs out there?
Is that price decent, is there cheaper out there?
What are your thoughts / experiences with supermarket egg whites generally?

Love always

DKD

I would Just eat whole eggs and cut calories out elsewhere. I'm cutting and eating 8 eggs a day.

Your basically exchanging eggs which are one of the cheapest sources of protein for egg whites which are one of the most expensive sources of protein and in the process missing out on the best part of the egg.

Seems like a bad deal to me.

Hi...have used these quite a bit and mix they last a lot longer than 7 days from opening provided you drain them from their pack and put the remainder in an air tight container in fridge....something with a screw lid or clip lock.......hope this helps

I speak for myself when I say that, I would not throw any part of this incredible food that is the egg. However if I was forced to choose between an egg white and an egg yolk, I wouldn't even think twice before holding to the yolk with both arms. I've cut down big time since the days of having about/between 20-30 eggs/day. Now I have about/between 3-5 raw eggs, blended with my WPI for a super smooth/creamy feel...not to mention the added nutrients that come from none other than that wonderful super food: the egg yolk.

Each to their own.

Peace,
Fadi.

I eat whole eggs normally, though not very often. I see the egg whites as an extra source of protein with opportunity of reducing the fat intake (don't need any extra fat ATM).

If I have a 250gm serve of this (ie 9 egg whites), plus 2 whole eggs, that's 35gm protein....plus WPI shake, I've got 60-70 gm protein for brekky with minimal fat....seems ideal to me. I want to drop a bit of fat, not in bulking mode ATM.

When I stay at hotels for work I'll go berserk with the brekky buffet. Usually have 3 fried eggs, big heap of scrambled eggs, 6-8 rashers of bacon then the rest of it (cereal, bircher muesli, fruit, yoghurt etc).

Andy, In the past I've been able to get 200+ grams protein per day comfortably, but that's been reliant on having 3-4 WPI shakes per day. I'm starting to toss around the idea of punting or reducing the protein shakes.

the frozen egg whites taste like shit anyway
something just unnatural about them, not an even mix sort of thing

I would Just eat whole eggs and cut calories out elsewhere.

Exactly my thoughts. :)

That is a huge amount of protein in one sitting........

As others have said, not at all.

I used to eat 1 whole can of tuna for lunch - 25.6g of protein per 100g for 425g total = 108.8g... and I used to have 500g of steak for dinner which would equate to approx ~ 120g per sitting. ;)

If the aim is to lose some fat mass, then in that case I would reduce overall calories while at the same time maintaining the intrinsic value of any particular food I was having at the time. In addition to that slight reduction in overall calories, I would rely on my main calorie expenditure through exercising.

Yes, there’s always that exception to the norm when it comes to losing fat mass and that exception involves bodybuilding contests. Only then would I go to extremes in following a particular diet, such as lower carbs than normal etc. Extreme conditioning (as in bodybuilding), needs extreme measures. Otherwise, the norm would do. In fact it won’t only do, but it would do in a healthier fashion since the body does not like extremes…in anything. And a 5% body fat level is such an extreme in my opinion. At my lowest ever fat percentage I was 10% body fat with striated muscles in both my quads and triceps.

Sorry for the digression.

Fadi.

omelate with 3 whole eggs, top up with egg whites

The frozen egg whites i buy last til 2013 but normally gone in a few days