• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Losing weight and muscle

Kingburger

I've been losing weight over the last few weeks 96kgs down to 90kgs in 3 weeks.
I've lost a bit of muscle to, I'm thinking I've lost weight to fast, but I can't eat any more food as I'm never hungry and always feel full???

I'm after a little guidance on my food intake as I'd like to have muscle when I lose the fat and not just shrink my overall body to skinny fat. If that makes sence.

Anyway this is my general day

Breakfast
2eggs on 1 piece of bread
1 flat white

Morning tea
Tin of tuna with cottage cheese on 2 cruskets.

Lunch
Steak,chicken,pork,lamb or salmon with veggies or salad.and almonds.

Dinner
Same as lunch.

Also have 3-4pieces of fruit throughout the day.

Supplements are
Hydroxycut
Multivitamin
Glutamine
Creatine
Fishoil.

I weight train for one hour 3 times a week and cardio for half hour 6 days.

Question is should I be eating more food????

I was thinking of scrapping the eggs for breakfast and replacing with protien shake, and adding another protien shake between lunch and dinner???

1. Muscles are around 70% water
2. Each gram of carb holds onto about/between 2-3gms of water
3. Cut down on the starches too quickly and the result would be
4. Quick water weight loss
5. To know why you've lost muscles so quickly, join #1, 2, 3, and 4 together (above).

Solution:

Increase your intake of carbs to a level where you're not literally peeing your stored glycogens away, and rely on some exercises that would get your metabolism revving (if it is slow).Otherwise, go for 1 hour long walks where the majority of calories come from fat.

Time; taking your time and not rushing it is what you need in order to insure a better ratio of fat loss over muscle loss.

I've never been one to advocate high protein diets, and to make matters worse for yourself, you've cut down on the carbs and maintained a high protein ratio which in itself is a diuretics...making the whole water loss quicker and worse.

It's time to go back to the drawing board...

Fadi.

Unless you have worked out or have had someone work out your daily calorie requirements (taking into consideration your activity levels and desired goals) you will be just doing things on a hope and a prayer.

If you are losing muscle while dieting it is because of these 3 reasons - protein intake is inadequate, performing inadequate (type &/or amount) of hypertrophy training (weight training) and to larger of a calorie deficit.

As Fadi said, back to the drawing board buddy :)

Cheers guys I think I have been starving myself after reading up a bit more. I need to add some more carbs and definitely some more protien into my diet. Off to do some more reading, great forum this is!! Thx

If you have eating plan made up of high protein but low enough overall cals to lose weight, you won't lose noticeable muscle.

As Fadi said, but cutting your carbs out, you most likely lost water weight.

Yea definitely! the last week I was struggling to lift what I normally lift. Add a few more carbs and more protien and today I feel stronger again with more energy. I'm addicted to this lol

Like everybody else has said get your diet back on track! I did the same thing but my case was probably a bit more extreme the end result was not good. If you countinue in the diet you are on you will end up in hospital. Im just letting you know from experience i went from 96kg to 56kg cutting the carbs and fats from my diet. And trust me rebuilding after a drastic body change like that is so hard.

For what it's worth at 90kgs you should be aiming for at least 3,000 -3,500 cals and your diet lokks like a little over 1500 cals max. Given your level of cardio you will continue to drop weight. Only reason I know is that I fell for the same trap myself......if you get a chance read " The Complete Guide To Sports Nutrition" by Anita Bean.....not gospel but pretty good info.....good luck with it.

After some more studying I've come up with a new eating plan,some more feedback would be awesome?I'm sure I'm heading on the right track. Pretty good that I can eat all this food! Seems like a fair bit as opposed to what I was eating lol.

Breakfast
All bran with skim milk +20gms whey
1slice multigrain toast with olive oil butter and cheese.
1boiled egg
1apple
Cals 700 P 38,F 20, C65

Morning Tea
3 cruskits with tuna and cottage
cheese.
Protien blend nuts.
15ml flaxseed oil
1orange.
Cal 540, P 28, F 33, C 36

Lunch
Chicken,lean meat or fish with
Salad or veggies,
*Sometimes with rice or potato.
( note: calorie count not included in total *)
Orange
Cal 550, P 54, F 20, C 15

Arvo
Protien shake
Protien nuts
Apple
Cal 358, P39, F 15, C 22

Dinner
Same as lunch
cal 550, P54, F 20, C 15

Total for the day
Cals 2810 protien 213 fat 104,carbs 158

Strength training 3 days a week.
30 mins high intensity interval training on treadmill 3 days a week.
30 minute brisk walks on treadmill on days inbetween interval training days.
I'm a labourer as well so there's a fair bit of walking and shoveling etc during the day.

Supplements
Multivitamin
Creatine
L glutamine
Fish oil caps
Low doses of hydroxycut ( shit blows my head off lol)

How does that look, it feels like it's a going to be a lot better for me this time.

Cheers pawnee50 I've ordered that book it should show me a fair bit more and probly have to change my diet again! Still a lot to learn!

I probly should start a training log and get some feedback on that as well.
I've gone from being uneducated on nutrition and training frequently and eating very low calories during the week and binging with alcohol and foods on weekends with staggered forwards and backwards results.
To eating dangerously low calories with no alcohol for 3 weeks.
To learning about nutrition,
To eating lots of healthy recovery training food to help fuel my training accompanied with awesome general wellbeing.
Looking forward to seeing some good results over the next few months.
It's great not feeling guilty about eating.
P.s
Been waking at 2-3am and thinking about nutrition and training from overloading my brain with info that it won't turn off lol.
Need to stop studying so much or find some sleeping pills lol.
P.p.s
Can't believe how long weekends last without alcohol :)

Think I'm still not eating enough, dropping weight to fast still. Altho the muscle ain't disappearing as much anymore. Back to the drawing board lol * facepalm

one of the best things i ever did was put the scales away for a while and judged things on how i felt and looked. if you feel like your getting sick very easily your immune system is running low which means your not feeding your body enough nutrients or getting enough rest. If this is the case then you need to eat more or rest more. If you start feeling stronger, healthier and looking leaner or your muscles start to look fuller things are going the right way and keep going with things the way they are. thats just my opinion. I weigh myself once a week at the same time as soon as i get up and have been to the pisser thats all.

I admire the stuff here about good proteins and less fats,But what about the excessive use of red meat as mentioned in the posts.How much to avoid or what is moderate to eat?
However I like fish and chicken breast as good proteins.

chicago gym

Last edited:
I admire the stuff here about good proteins and less fats,But what about the excessive use of red meat as mentioned in the posts.How much to avoid or what is moderate to eat?

Eat as much red meat as you can....no reason to limit the amount you eat.

I have around 1-1.5kg a day 7 days a week.

To some, food is an addiction, the combination of; sugar, salt and fat is something food manufactures are very aware of.

One first needs to define whether what they are eating is for fuel or for comfort.

I think once one works this out there is no need for "dieting"

This is something now that I really need to listen to as I don't think adipose tissue is added overnight but over many, many years of eating a little over maintenance.
How often do you hear, "but I don't eat a lot"